Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2015, 09:30 AM

466 posts, read 982,152 times

Advertisements

saw in the RBJ that a second Branca location will be opening at Midtown. That is awesome news. Also, a Biergarten is going in next to Rohrbachs near the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 11:10 AM

384 posts, read 355,784 times
This biergarten thing is part of Rohrbach's or a separate business? Couldn't find anything on RBJ myself. Either way, both sound like good news.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:38 AM

The same guy that owns The Revelry and Branca is opening the Biergarten. He's also opening a Mexican joint near University/Atlantic. If you look at their Twitter feed and zoom in on the front page picture you can see the first couple paragraphs of the article.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:10 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,322,242 times
Great news. I'm still worried they will do with Midtown what they did at the Culver Road Armory though, and get carried away with the very high end tenants. I think that could put off some of the general public. As Jeff Speck once said in a visit to Rochester, "this many rich people want to live downtown *pinches fingers together*, but this many young millenials want to live downtown, yet can't afford to."

Old 09-05-2015, 08:05 AM

Yeah I don't want them to go too high end, but you want to see a quality demographic taking over downtown.

Drove down main yesterday. The corner of Main/Clinton is still so depressing. They have to make that a priority. It needs to change but no one seems to talk about it.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:17 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,625 times
There's going to be plenty of room for both high-end and mid-level retailers/restaurants, so I don't see either drowning out the other. The more people with money you can get living downtown, the more viable it becomes for all other demographics. There's plenty of land to build on downtown and lease.

I agree about Main/Clinton. Hopefully a developer comes along and is willing to do something with it. The other building that needs somebody to do something with is 65 Chestnut St. At least Main/Clinton has tenants, 65 Chestnut is all boarded up and if somebody were to venture downtown and that's the first building they saw, they might think all of downtown was boarded up.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:50 AM

5,687 posts, read 4,086,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
There's going to be plenty of room for both high-end and mid-level retailers/restaurants, so I don't see either drowning out the other. The more people with money you can get living downtown, the more viable it becomes for all other demographics. There's plenty of land to build on downtown and lease.

I agree about Main/Clinton. Hopefully a developer comes along and is willing to do something with it. The other building that needs somebody to do something with is 65 Chestnut St. At least Main/Clinton has tenants, 65 Chestnut is all boarded up and if somebody were to venture downtown and that's the first building they saw, they might think all of downtown was boarded up.
db, I'm pretty sure that I heard that someone is going to turn it into housing. It takes a while to wind your way through city hall to get approvals, as well as financing. I agree, it looks terrible.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:43 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
db, I'm pretty sure that I heard that someone is going to turn it into housing. It takes a while to wind your way through city hall to get approvals, as well as financing. I agree, it looks terrible.
That is great news to hear. Between the news of the Cadillac Hotel getting the boot and this building hopefully getting housing, midtown could really end up being a highly desirable place to live in the city. More retail and restaurants right there should seal the deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
View detailed profiles of: