Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 09:54 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,329,165 times

Advertisements

An interesting study by "smartasset" listing Fairport, Webster and Canandaigua as #3,4,5 best places in the state to retire.

https://smartasset.com/retirement/re...r=2016#newyork

Speaking of which, this is something that I think NY should do more on capitalizing and have always wondered why it doesn't market itself to southern retirees to spend their summers in NY.

Many New Yorker's move to the south for the winter, and come back for the summer. I really think that New York should look to attract southern retirees who want to avoid the heat of the summer and live in the mild-warm NY summers. A place like Canandaigua or Fairport in the summer time especially with their quaint downtowns, lush greenery and beautiful lake/canal is only matched by a very small number of communities in the United States. I see no reason it couldn't become a desire location for "summer birds" the same way Florida is for New York "snow birds".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 06:47 AM

384 posts, read 356,212 times
I never really thought about it like that, but you're completely right. I'm sure critics would immediately cry about how people "would never move here for the weather", but it certainly makes sense on paper that retirees would prefer a small summer home or condo in a place like Canandaigua for the milder summer weather we get up here. The finger lakes are a pretty nice area even in the fall with all the foliage, and then when the leaves drop time to go back down south.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:36 PM

That's exactly it. It can definitely be argued that an upstate winter is not for everybody and I get that. But there's no way that it can be argued that upstate NY doesn't have amazing summers and fall. I think projects like the Pinnacle North in Canandaigua are going to give it much more notoriety. And I think through all the negativity by a lot of Rochesterians even, we forget that we have a true resort town right in our back yard with unbelievable natural beauty that many communities would give anything to have. When I was younger I moved away for a few years to a highly populated town that was flat, very few trees and no water. That made me really appreciate what we have here. If you live in the city, you have the incredible river walk paths, in the suburbs like Fairport you have the canal and then just a short drive away you have Canandaigua and Canandaigua Lake. There's no reason it wouldn't be a very popular summer/fall home for a family or retiree.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:05 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
That's exactly it. It can definitely be argued that an upstate winter is not for everybody and I get that. But there's no way that it can be argued that upstate NY doesn't have amazing summers and fall. I think projects like the Pinnacle North in Canandaigua are going to give it much more notoriety. And I think through all the negativity by a lot of Rochesterians even, we forget that we have a true resort town right in our back yard with unbelievable natural beauty that many communities would give anything to have. When I was younger I moved away for a few years to a highly populated town that was flat, very few trees and no water. That made me really appreciate what we have here. If you live in the city, you have the incredible river walk paths, in the suburbs like Fairport you have the canal and then just a short drive away you have Canandaigua and Canandaigua Lake. There's no reason it wouldn't be a very popular summer/fall home for a family or retiree.
Good points and you could includes places nearby on Lake Ontario like Sodus Point or towns such as Webster and Irondequoit.

It would be nice if the Finger Lakes region promoted itself in a way that could appeal to retirees that could do the exact thing that you mentioned in terms seasonal living.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:38 PM

Sodus Point, Webster and Irondequoit absolutely fit the bill as well with their really nice lake front properties as well on Lake Ontario.

Here's some great drone footage from Canandaigua Lake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ig3QVZlzRU

Old 03-07-2016, 05:55 AM

355 posts, read 390,916 times
I agree 100%. I believe the real reason is purely fincaial . If all their money was spent on retirement (home purchase etc) down south, all they have left to live on is SS how would they be able to do this? What are some examples on how one can acomplish this.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:55 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,820,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotstoboiledpenuts View Post
I agree 100%. I believe the real reason is purely fincaial . If all their money was spent on retirement (home purchase etc) down south, all they have left to live on is SS how would they be able to do this? What are some examples on how one can acomplish this.
I unfortunately agree. It has to be because of financial reasons. Many people leave the state because it makes financial sense for them and it would be impossible for them to be able to afford a summer place upstate and maintain the cost of their primary residence down south.

I know a lot of retired people who have summer properties in the 1000 Islands region who live down south most of the year, however, those numbers are becoming fewer and fewer with the big reason being taxes. I really wish NYS would get this tax debacle under control so it can maintain and attract new people to this beautiful state and everything it has to offer.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:37 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
I unfortunately agree. It has to be because of financial reasons. Many people leave the state because it makes financial sense for them and it would be impossible for them to be able to afford a summer place upstate and maintain the cost of their primary residence down south.

I know a lot of retired people who have summer properties in the 1000 Islands region who live down south most of the year, however, those numbers are becoming fewer and fewer with the big reason being taxes. I really wish NYS would get this tax debacle under control so it can maintain and attract new people to this beautiful state and everything it has to offer.
I wonder if there is a waterfront factor in terms of 1000 Islands properties. With that said, it is a matter of governmental structure that plays a part in terms of taxation.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:08 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,820,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I wonder if there is a waterfront factor in terms of 1000 Islands properties. With that said, it is a matter of governmental structure that plays a part in terms of taxation.
As far as I know waterfront plays a fairly big factor as far as taxes go. Most of the people I know that have sold their property in Henderson Harbor said it was because of increased property taxes. I was told taxes aren't to bad if the property is closer RT.3 but any property off of RT. 123 taxes increases exponentially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area