Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 04:12 PM

558 posts, read 299,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnny View Post
Hi SteelCityRising!

The George Eastman house is certainly a "must-see!" Definitely time your visit so you can take the free tour that is included with your admission! Website is eastman.org & tour hours are there as well! Address is 900 East Ave.
I second the Eastman house and be sure to get the guided tour. Well worth it. The Wegmans in Pittsfield is pretty amazing if you are a foodie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 04:30 PM

214 posts, read 261,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
I second the Eastman house and be sure to get the guided tour. Well worth it. The Wegmans in Pittsfield is pretty amazing if you are a foodie.

It's Pittsford , not Pittsfield . When Cher was in town a few years ago she called Pittsfield too . Maybe a name change is in order .

Old 08-04-2019, 08:27 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,797 times
I would take 79 to 90 to 86 to 390, it is a prettier drive, IMO. Stop for lunch and a drink at Ellicottville Brewing in Bemus Point, shortly after you get onto 86. In any case, skip the route through northern PA - nothing special.

Everyone will recommend the Pittsford Wegmans, which is basically the Costco of Wegmans - I prefer the one on Fairport Road - it is a great example of mid century modern architecture.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:17 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
My apologies for taking so long to get back to you all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Just for starters as you'll probably be downtown anyway is to visit the Genesee Brewhouse or High Falls, or both. They're connected by a pedestrian park/bridge. There is a 99' waterfall right in the middle of downtown. I recommend the Brewhouse/ museum/ restaurant for beer from one of America's oldest breweries, also brewing cutting edge pilot batches . And for the view.

The Strong Museum of Play is for Everyone. Also included is the Video Game Hall of Fame.

More info coming I'm sure
Thank you!

Accommodation-wise I'm leaning towards requesting a river-view room at the Staybridge Suites. It gets great reviews on Google and TripAdvisor, and although it's not RIGHT Downtown it's still reasonably close.

I'm definitely very interested in taking some photos of the High Falls. I'm now even more interested in the Strong Museum since I know it has a Video Game Hall of Fame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'll just address this and let others chime in. I was thinking of maybe checking this area about an hour and a half south of Rochester out: https://www.gafferdistrict.com/
https://www.planning.org/greatplaces...rketstreet.htm
https://www.corningfingerlakes.com/
https://urbancorning.com/

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1430...6!9m2!1b1!2i37

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EraE9BXGBjY

If not on the way to Rochester, it may be a place to go to on the way back home. you can take 378 to Route 22 east and catch I-99 in Altoona to Route north to Corning. Then take I-390 to Rochester or reverse course, if you want to take this back home instead.

The Corning Museum of Glass is pretty nice and there's also the Rockwell Museum off of Market Street.

Alright...As for Rochester, this neighborhood comes to mind as an area to check out: https://park-avenue.org/

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1480...6!9m2!1b1!2i37

Now, I'll honestly let others offer suggestions...
Thank you. My parents took me and my sister to the Corning Museum of Glass when I was much younger---probably somewhere around 1999 or 2000. We didn't explore the town at the time---just spent a few hours at the museum for a day-trip up from our native Scranton, PA area. I don't think we'll have time for Corning this time around, but it will certainly be on our short-list for an overnighter in the future! We may even make it a long weekend getaway with a night spent in Wellsboro, PA and exploring the Grand Canyon of PA nearby.

As an aside, thank you for all you do on this forum to advocate for Upstate NY! I'm sure I'll tap into your knowledge more in the future, as the next time we visit my partner's brother and his fiancee we may decide to meet in Syracuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
As for restaurants there are a lot of good places just east of downtown in the East Ave, Park Ave, Alexander St areas. The Genesee Brewhouse near High Falls is one of my favorite spots to eat/drink and has a great view of the falls. The Strong Museum is great for kids but as an adult I really enjoy it, absolutely worth a visit.

If I were driving from Pittsburgh I would take I-86 East from Erie and then north to Rochester. Such a beautiful drive especially through the Letchworth area. You may not have time but I would ***HIGHLY*** recommend making some time to stop at Letchworth. Its only $10 to get in and you can drive from lookout to lookout so theirs not a lot of wanted time hiking around. Plus you can enter through the southern entrance and exit out of the north towards Rochester.
Ah! Another recommendation for the Genesee Brew House. I'm not much for beer, but I'd imagine they do burgers. It would be nice to have lunch there while overlooking the falls. We'll also try to pencil in a trip to the Strong Museum---for the Video Game Hall of Fame if nothing else!

I'm leaning strongly towards I-79 North from Pittsburgh to I-90 East from Erie to I-86 East and then shooting up to Rochester via the Letchworth State Park area. We may consider the $10 to spend an hour or to take in the views at the park. Thanks!

Quote:
The OP clearly said they were meeting in ROCHESTER, and didn't have time to stop at Lechworth, so I'm sure they don't have time for Corning. Corning might be a good day trip another time.
Yeah, we can't do Corning, but if we could just pay $10 and spend about an hour driving to and from a few overlooks within Letchworth it may be worth it, especially since it wouldn't be much of a detour off of our route to Rochester anyways.

Quote:
I’m not implying to stay long and did mention that it could be a place to go on the way back home.
Thanks! We'll probably combine Corning with a trip to Wellsboro, PA, as I mentioned above, since they seem to be relatively close.

Quote:
This should be helpful

Visit Rochester | Rochester, NY
Thank you! I've already explored that site and have received some helpful information.

Quote:
Pittsburg has Primanti's, Rochester has Nick Tahou's. Stop and have a "Garbage Plate". You can get one with Rochester's Zweigles white hotdogs. I'm told Wegmans is a tourist destination, and there isn't one in Pittsburg, so stop at the PittsFORD Wegmans
I grew up near Scranton, PA, which had a Wegmans, and then I lived in Northern Virginia, which also had Wegmans, so I'm very familiar. It's a must-stop for us whenever we're in State College, PA visiting friends or hitting up the beach in Erie, PA! As such I don't think we'll visit a Rochester Wegmans. I wish they DID have them in Pittsburgh, though, but Giant Eagle ("the dirty bird") has a tight stranglehold on our grocery business.

I'll definitely consider Nick Tahou's. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnny View Post
Hi SteelCityRising!

The George Eastman house is certainly a "must-see!" Definitely time your visit so you can take the free tour that is included with your admission! Website is eastman.org & tour hours are there as well! Address is 900 East Ave.
Thank you! When my partner's brother and fiancee visited us in Pittsburgh last year we took them to a place called the Frick Mansion, which is very similar to the George Eastman House. We had a good time, but they may not want to do something so similar again. We'll run it by them for sure, though! I'm sure the fiancee knows of it since she is a Rochester native.

Quote:
Thank you! We definitely wouldn't have time to HIKE Letchworth on this trip; however, I may consider the above recommendation to pay $10 and drive around a bit and check out some overlooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
Thanks! As I said above no Wegmans since I've already been to about a half-dozen in my life. Yes, I love Wegmans, but I don't need to experience another. I wish we had them in Pittsburgh, but they refuse to open here.

Thanks for recommending the George Eastman house, too. I'll definitely run it by my company!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e66330 View Post
It's Pittsford , not Pittsfield . When Cher was in town a few years ago she called Pittsfield too . Maybe a name change is in order .
I think it would be confused too much with Pittsfield, MA in the Berkshires. I grew up in a town called PittsTON, PA and now live in PittsBURGH, PA, so I almost want to visit just to snap a selfie in front of the "Welcome to PittsFORD" sign!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
I would take 79 to 90 to 86 to 390, it is a prettier drive, IMO. Stop for lunch and a drink at Ellicottville Brewing in Bemus Point, shortly after you get onto 86. In any case, skip the route through northern PA - nothing special.

Everyone will recommend the Pittsford Wegmans, which is basically the Costco of Wegmans - I prefer the one on Fairport Road - it is a great example of mid century modern architecture.
Thank you! We'll be leaving Pittsburgh around 7 AM, which would put us in Bemus Point around 9:30 AM---so no lunch at Ellicottville Brewing. We could stop there on the way back, though, on Columbus Day for lunch!

I've definitely decided we're taking the "scenic route" you described, even if it is about an hour longer than taking 90.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:37 AM

384 posts, read 356,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Yeah, we can't do Corning, but if we could just pay $10 and spend about an hour driving to and from a few overlooks within Letchworth it may be worth it, especially since it wouldn't be much of a detour off of our route to Rochester anyways.
Definitely recommend it if you have the time. Very easy to drive between the major viewing spots and there is plenty of parking at each. An hour is plenty to see everything if you're not planning on hiking around at all.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:38 AM

Here's a tentative itinerary:

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 12, 2019

Depart Pittsburgh: ~0700 Hours
Arrive Rochester: ~1300 Hours
Lunch at Genesee Brew House: ~1300 Hours - ~1430 Hours
Explore High Falls and Surrounding Historic Sites: ~1430 Hours - ~1530 Hours
Check Into Staybridge Suites: ~1545 Hours
Coffee at ???? : (Recommendations, Please, Maybe in Corn Hill?)
Strong Museum: ~1700 Hours - ~1900 Hours
Dinner at Nick Tahou Hots: ~1930 Hours - ~2100 Hours
Bedtime: ~2130 Hours

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 13, 2019

Free Breakfast at Hotel: ~0800 Hours
Explore East Avenue & Coffee at Glen Edith Coffee Roasters: ~0900 Hours - ~1100 Hours
George Eastman House: ~1100 Hours - ~1230 Hours
Lunch at Swillburger: ~1300 Hours - ~1400 Hours
Explore South Wedge: ~1430 Hours - ~1530 Hours
Naptime (For my Partner): ~1530 Hours - ~1730 Hours
Dinner at Dinosaure BBQ: ~1800 Hours - ~1900 Hours
Performing Arts Venue: Recommendations, Please? I've looked online, but it seems like there's nothing going on at Off-Monroe Players, Downstairs Cabaret Theatre, Bread & Water Theatre, Geva Theatre Center, Blackfriars Theatre, Rochester Broadway Theatre League, Lyric Theatre, Kodak Center, etc., but none of these have any performances this day. I also looked at the events for this weekend on Visit Rochester's site, and there's really not much going on. I guess we could go see a movie.

MONDAY, OCTOBER 14, 2019

Free Breakfast at Hotel: ~0800 Hours
Coffee & Good-Byes at SPOT Coffee: ~0900 Hours - ~0930 Hours
Drive Through Letchworth State Park & Overlooks/Photos: ~1030 Hours - ~1130 Hours
Lunch at Ellicottville Brewing in Bemus Point, NY: ~1330 Hours - ~1430 Hours
Arrive in Pittsburgh, PA: ~1700 Hours

Old 08-05-2019, 10:47 AM

5,705 posts, read 4,097,871 times
Well planned weekend.

There is a coffee shop across the street from the Staybridge. It used to be Boulder. Not sure if that's still the name. BTW, Deli Sandros in the neighborhood makes tasty sandwiches.

Another coffee shop could be the 1776 Café on Main St. The reason I mention this is that it is so close to 17 Madison St, Susan B. Anthony's house. There's a park with a statue of her and Fredrick Douglas

Old 08-05-2019, 10:52 AM

One more thing---It's probable that dinner at the Dinosaur will take more than an hour. On Saturday night there's usually a wait, but grab a beer and hang in the parking lot as the Harleys come and go

Old 08-05-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
One more thing---It's probable that dinner at the Dinosaur will take more than an hour. On Saturday night there's usually a wait, but grab a beer and hang in the parking lot as the Harleys come and go
Thank you! We'll be there Sunday night, but that actually works out well, then, since if there's no shows/concerts to see on that night we can just relax and take our time there and just turn in early at the hotel. I was hoping to rush at Dinosaur so we could see some sort of play or something at 7 PM or 7:30 PM, but as I said it seems like every theater has that listed as an "off" weekend, which is surprising considering it's a holiday weekend where there might be tourists in town.

Also, anyone have any other good recommendations for a hotel in/around the city? I just tried to book the Staybridge Suites via their web site, and it looks like the only rooms they have left that weekend are with one queen-sized bed. We'd need either two beds or a king-sized bed because we're violent sleepers. I really wanted the Staybridge Suites because supposedly they have great views of the river, so that's a bit of a bummer for sure! Is it worth it to splurge for the Strathallan? We may end up going the AirBNB route after all.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:20 PM

If you're in a hurry to eat at The Dinosaur, you can always get take out and sit at a picknick table outside. The only problem is you won't get the whole Dinosaur experience as most of the staff are "interesting". For hotels, it depends on your budget. Strathallan is nice, and nice rooftop bar, as is The Inn on Broadway. There's Hyatt, Hilton Garden, Holliday Inn. There is/ was a hotel at the corner of East and Alexander. Sorry, I don't know the name or if it's still open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area