Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 12:23 AM

307 posts, read 118,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
There have been "announcements" in the news media, that traffic on I 490, the major east/west expressway through Rochester, will be "disrupted" this coming weekend, while the "children" throw another temper tantrum, over what they perceive as people's lack of rights. What about the rights of the general, law abiding, tax paying public, to be able to simply drive unimpeded, on the roads that our taxes have provided and maintained???

When is this nonsense going to end???

It's not. It's gonna get worse and worse. Cut your losses and leave NY if you're able.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 05:47 AM

6,452 posts, read 3,147,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonwoodbao View Post
It's not. It's gonna get worse and worse. Cut your losses and leave NY if you're able.
That's easy to say, but in reality, not all that easy to do, especially when you're an older person. The first question becomes, "where do you go"? Although I'm not a "lifer" here in western NY, therefore don't have any really deep ties, my wife, on the other hand, is a "lifer" with a few family still surviving, as well as many friends. She won't, at least presently, leave.

Secondly, on a practical note, I've been an automotive hobbyist all of my life. I've accumulated, literally, TWO TONS of "stuff" related to my hobby, and my desire to tend to the general maintenance of my and my wife's cars. A couple of years ago, I had my garage floor professionally refinished, with one of those fancy epoxy coatings. I had to remove EVERYTHING from the garage, and pack it into a "storage module", out in the driveway. What a job THAT was!! If I move, I'd have to go through all of that, again, PLUS remove all of the "stuff" I've accumulated that's in the basement...No thanks!!

Old 08-03-2020, 12:58 PM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Is this going to happen in about an hour and half?

Teachers in Rochester plan to protest reopening of public schools Monday on 490 overpass: https://www.rochesterfirst.com/back-...ublic-schools/

Old 08-03-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is this going to happen in about an hour and half?

Teachers in Rochester plan to protest reopening of public schools Monday on 490 overpass: https://www.rochesterfirst.com/back-...ublic-schools/
I'm kind of disappointed to read this. While I certainly understand the teacher's sentiments, I would have thought that they could have found a classier way to make their point.

Old 09-08-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
FWIW, I didn’t want to be right.

Old 09-09-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:
FWIW, I didn’t want to be right.
Understand your point, but for many people, especially those who own their homes, rather than rent, and/or have a family history or extensive network of friends and relatives, it isn't all that easy to move.

I'm not originally from Rochester, but have been here most of my life, due to a job change on my father's part. While I have no relatives here, even at my somewhat advanced age, I still have a few long-time friends here, and therefore enjoy the social aspects of my life.

For me, assuming my wife was willing to leave the area, the question would be, "where to go"? This area, while having a blizzard or two, each winter, doesn't regularly have floods, forest fires, earthquakes, extreme temperature swings, and any of the other really annoying "quirks" that some areas have.

We're retired, so we don't have to fight the morning traffic, so the occasional snowstorm isn't that big a deal for us. And looking around our house, packing up or selling off, of our life's accumulated possessions, isn't something that we'd look forward to. The only thing we'd like to escape, is the crazy property taxes.

Old 09-09-2020, 12:51 PM

186 posts, read 135,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErieCanalLvR View Post
I think Todd Baxter and other so-called Democrats are simply that way because they don't stand for the conservative values and are more down-the-middle in the political sphere changing their affiliation in order to run for election when not supported by the Republican party powers. They also could change their affiliation to Democrat because they know many people who don't like Trump will vote Democrat. As a whole,
Monroe County will continue to be a political swing set of Upstate NY because voters on all sides have a tendency to be picky. It happens in any area where there are government services provided, people debate themselves - although we're not talking politics here. I recommend moving out of Monroe County and closer to Syracuse so you don't have to worry about the drama.

Also, the City of Syracuse also uses the system of City Commissioners being the ones whom determine who is on the board of education among themselves and you must be elected during the general election - just like in Rochester. And in Syracuse the Mayor has a say in the Budget, just like in Rochester. So the phrase "only in Rochester" on your part is a bit of an overreaction. I understand, you're frustrated but try focusing on other things besides the downfall of the Flower City and focus on good things.
You're right about Todd Baxter. Republican leaders refused to back quality candidates for some time here in Monroe County, Todd Baxter as a Chief in the Town of Greece had enough of his supervisor not giving him recognition, broke from the Republican leaders and Monroe County elites and ran on only the Democrat line and won the election. I don't pay attention to politcs outside of Monroe County, but I did find that Rochester is one of the "Big Five" school districts where the city and the school district are the same and have commissioners elected to run for the school board, and determine funding, etc. under the New York State Constitution (Syracuse, Yonkers, Buffalo and New York City being the others). Interestingly Buffalo and New York City have made the news for fights with police over COVID-19 orders and neighborhood disputes. Syracuse was in the news because of a controversy that people would rather talk about Christopher Columbus then the rising deaths in the city and surrounding areas caused by diseases and illegal immigrants so they marched with signs (I'll admit Syracuse didn't turn as violent but it did get ugly) - its a matter of time before Yonkers civilians have a problem with their government leaders able to call all the shots and getting themselves into feuds and what-not on the news.

Old 09-11-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Understand your point, but for many people, especially those who own their homes, rather than rent, and/or have a family history or extensive network of friends and relatives, it isn't all that easy to move.

I'm not originally from Rochester, but have been here most of my life, due to a job change on my father's part. While I have no relatives here, even at my somewhat advanced age, I still have a few long-time friends here, and therefore enjoy the social aspects of my life.

For me, assuming my wife was willing to leave the area, the question would be, "where to go"? This area, while having a blizzard or two, each winter, doesn't regularly have floods, forest fires, earthquakes, extreme temperature swings, and any of the other really annoying "quirks" that some areas have.

We're retired, so we don't have to fight the morning traffic, so the occasional snowstorm isn't that big a deal for us. And looking around our house, packing up or selling off, of our life's accumulated possessions, isn't something that we'd look forward to. The only thing we'd like to escape, is the crazy property taxes.
Definitely feel for people like you and my parents who really cannot move. You all will be stuck to bear the brunt of what’s coming. Cuomo is signaling that huge tax increases are coming: https://nypost.com/2020/09/10/cuomo-...19-shortfalls/

I’m extremely fortunate that my job is remote and I’m not a homeowner and I was able to leave before it gets really ugly. I still think the worst is yet to come for NY. I’ll never forgive the craven rent seekers who ruined our beautiful state.

Old 09-11-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Definitely feel for people like you and my parents who really cannot move. You all will be stuck to bear the brunt of what’s coming. Cuomo is signaling that huge tax increases are coming: https://nypost.com/2020/09/10/cuomo-...19-shortfalls/

I’m extremely fortunate that my job is remote and I’m not a homeowner and I was able to leave before it gets really ugly. I still think the worst is yet to come for NY. I’ll never forgive the craven rent seekers who ruined our beautiful state.
Thanks for the sentiments.

With respect to "Commandant Cuomo", what an idiot!! He thinks that by passing on the responsibility of Covid incurred costs to the "feds", it will make things better??? Where, EXACTLY, does this dummy think the "feds" get the money from, a couple thousand "money trees", in some secret garden??

At the taxpayer level, it just becomes a question of which pocket gets emptied....

Old 09-11-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the sentiments.

With respect to "Commandant Cuomo", what an idiot!! He thinks that by passing on the responsibility of Covid incurred costs to the "feds", it will make things better??? Where, EXACTLY, does this dummy think the "feds" get the money from, a couple thousand "money trees", in some secret garden??

At the taxpayer level, it just becomes a question of which pocket gets emptied....
That’s not his problem, it’s the federal government’s problem. The teachers unions and other government employees who expect not only not to have layoffs, but raises and full pensions, are his problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area