Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 06:30 PM

186 posts, read 135,705 times

Advertisements

Tired of VanBortel Commercials. Kitty herself is so annoying. Especially her commercials attacking brands that she doesn't sell in order to make Subaru look better. Its like she's running in a political election against the Toyota dealership and the Hyundai dealership. Also, that "Experian" crap she uses is unfounded as Subaru costs more in Insurance than a Toyota but not as reliable as a Toyota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 07:56 PM

5,695 posts, read 4,090,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres4evR View Post
Tired of VanBortel Commercials. Kitty herself is so annoying. Especially her commercials attacking brands that she doesn't sell in order to make Subaru look better. Its like she's running in a political election against the Toyota dealership and the Hyundai dealership. Also, that "Experian" crap she uses is unfounded as Subaru costs more in Insurance than a Toyota but not as reliable as a Toyota.
I guess I never noticed her ads, but how about her dad? He was something

Old 06-24-2020, 05:19 AM

6,435 posts, read 3,140,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I guess I never noticed her ads, but how about her dad? He was something
He sure was......I worked with his BIL, and even HE wasn't able to get any kind of "friends and family" pricing on a new car from Howard, a/k/a "Shady Deal". (Kitty's father)

I do love the "dog" commercials, however.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:02 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,817,059 times
I'm tired off all car commercials.

Old 06-29-2020, 04:08 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,772,027 times
I am responding because I grew up in the Rochester area and visit the Rochester forum from time to time. (Now in Tennessee)

Best thing you can do for yourself is cancel cable/satellite or ditch the antenna TV except as an emergency news source. I haven't seen a commercial for ANYTHING in over 15 years except what I mention with my visits to Mom. All my entertainment is on Youtube or Netflix. My news sources are all web based and it is easy to ignore the advertising online.

I visit my Mom up in Fairport twice a year and we usually watch the evening news, the wheel of fortune and Jeopardy every night. (She loves the shows) Every time I leave I have the commercial jingles in my head for a week or two later.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:39 PM

186 posts, read 135,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I am responding because I grew up in the Rochester area and visit the Rochester forum from time to time. (Now in Tennessee)

Best thing you can do for yourself is cancel cable/satellite or ditch the antenna TV except as an emergency news source. I haven't seen a commercial for ANYTHING in over 15 years except what I mention with my visits to Mom. All my entertainment is on Youtube or Netflix. My news sources are all web based and it is easy to ignore the advertising online.

I visit my Mom up in Fairport twice a year and we usually watch the evening news, the wheel of fortune and Jeopardy every night. (She loves the shows) Every time I leave I have the commercial jingles in my head for a week or two later.

But she's showing up on more than just the News channel. IF I want to watch TBS she shows up there, even on Nickelodeon. Can't get rid of her ads, just like I can't get rid of the Geico ads. Its like the billionaires want Van Bortel to be who Rochester buys a car from and Geico is who insurances the vehicle. I miss the commercials for Hot Wheels and Walmart showing up on our TV.

Old 07-01-2020, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres4evR View Post
But she's showing up on more than just the News channel. IF I want to watch TBS she shows up there, even on Nickelodeon. Can't get rid of her ads, just like I can't get rid of the Geico ads. Its like the billionaires want Van Bortel to be who Rochester buys a car from and Geico is who insurances the vehicle. I miss the commercials for Hot Wheels and Walmart showing up on our TV.
I think you folks are ALL missing the point. You pay the cable provider, you get air time. It's been that way since the advent of radio and TV. Kitty spends a lot of money for advertising, you see a lot of her commercials. However, to say that she dominates the upstate NY area, I think is exaggerating it. The Vision group has significantly more dealerships than Kitty does, and their commercials are far more numerous, as are those childish Liberty Mutual commercials, with the emu.

What annoys me more than Kitty or Vision, however, is the statement made to me, back in the mid-late 1970s, when GRC (Greater Rochester Cablevision, remember them??) came to town, and sent people door-to-door, looking to get people to subscribe to their service. When asked why we should "pay" for TV service, their salespeople would reply, "because you won't have any commercials" (anybody else remember THAT??). Now, you have more commercials than ever!!!

Old 07-11-2020, 09:22 PM

4,964 posts, read 2,709,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I think you folks are ALL missing the point. You pay the cable provider, you get air time. It's been that way since the advent of radio and TV. Kitty spends a lot of money for advertising, you see a lot of her commercials. However, to say that she dominates the upstate NY area, I think is exaggerating it. The Vision group has significantly more dealerships than Kitty does, and their commercials are far more numerous, as are those childish Liberty Mutual commercials, with the emu.

What annoys me more than Kitty or Vision, however, is the statement made to me, back in the mid-late 1970s, when GRC (Greater Rochester Cablevision, remember them??) came to town, and sent people door-to-door, looking to get people to subscribe to their service. When asked why we should "pay" for TV service, their salespeople would reply, "because you won't have any commercials" (anybody else remember THAT??). Now, you have more commercials than ever!!!
Yes, I remember getting cable around 1980 and enjoyed watching channels with no commercials. It was great. Then the commercials started. And their length increased. And now there are so many commercials where people have health issues - can't breathe, back pain, cancer, etc. Can't enjoy shows anymore without seeing portrayals of sick people and feeling disturbed about it. And the commercials are getting longer. It seems that the cable channels are now just showing a slew of commercials with brief intrusions of the actual shows. And we're paying to see them? Disgusting.

I rarely watch cable tv now and watch YouTube videos instead. Plenty to watch there and with very few commercial interruptions. And I get my news from the Internet as well. Again, few commercials.

Old 07-12-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Yes, I remember getting cable around 1980 and enjoyed watching channels with no commercials. It was great. Then the commercials started...... And the commercials are getting longer. It seems that the cable channels are now just showing a slew of commercials with brief intrusions of the actual shows. And we're paying to see them? Disgusting.

I agree!!

Old 07-14-2020, 01:27 AM

5,480 posts, read 3,919,685 times
I've seen Van Bortel license plate frames plenty of times here in Buffalo, but I've never had the pleasure of seeing one of the TV ads...kinda want to look them up on Youtube now, if any are available there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area