Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2022, 09:33 AM

6,414 posts, read 3,128,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I think that in the end, most malls will end up a blend of retail, office, restaurants and services. Kind of like a traditional village.

Didn't know L&T closed. Sad.
Yes, it's been about 6-7 months since their closure. It's getting more and more difficult to find "better" clothing, in the Rochester area. Sibley's and B.Forman are long gone, Macy's used to be a "higher end" store, but no longer. Now, L&T is gone, leaving only Von Maur, but a lot of Von Maur's selection of clothing is a bit "frumpy", at least that's what my wife says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2022, 09:46 AM

5,679 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Yes, it's been about 6-7 months since their closure. It's getting more and more difficult to find "better" clothing, in the Rochester area. Sibley's and B.Forman are long gone, Macy's used to be a "higher end" store, but no longer. Now, L&T is gone, leaving only Von Maur, but a lot of Von Maur's selection of clothing is a bit "frumpy", at least that's what my wife says.
I remember when Von Maur opened. Seems like they used to be somewhat upscale.

Old 02-14-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I remember when Von Maur opened. Seems like they used to be somewhat upscale.
OH, don't worry, they're still upscale, and their customer service is first class. It's just that they're both upscale and somewhat quirky, at the same time, at least in terms of their women's fashions.

Old 02-16-2022, 05:14 PM

It's about time that area get's some attention. Plus with the Inner Loop North project.

Old 02-17-2022, 09:21 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Empire State Development Announces that Clean Energy Technology Firm Ionomr Innovations Will Open Research and Development Facility in New York State(in Brighton): https://esd.ny.gov/esd-media-center/...t-facility-nys

Old 02-18-2022, 11:46 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
'Country club for gaming' is coming to former Xerox Tower in Rochester: https://www.democratandchronicle.com...ny/6838618001/

Old 02-21-2022, 02:50 PM

Quote:
It's about time that area get's some attention. Plus with the Inner Loop North project.
I don't see what they can do, however, as that block was primarily retail, with three large retailers, Neisners, Edwards, and Lerners, dominating that block. Rochester's industrial base, which provided THOUSANDS of jobs, has withered, to a degree, and at the same time, or because of that, downtown retail has taken a double shot to the gut.

First, it was the "move to the malls", followed by the move to online buying, that has decimated downtown Rochester. Honestly, I haven't been "downtown" in years. I can recall both times that I've been downtown, in the last 10 years, and it was just "passing through", getting from someplace on the westside, to my home on the east side, and travelling down Main Street was the shortest path. Yet at the same time, I can remember when I was a kid, 50-60 years ago, and Main Street was "wall to wall" with unique stores, from the Gibbs Street, at the east end, all the way to Genesee Street, at the west end.

What's there today??

Old 02-21-2022, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I don't see what they can do, however, as that block was primarily retail, with three large retailers, Neisners, Edwards, and Lerners, dominating that block. Rochester's industrial base, which provided THOUSANDS of jobs, has withered, to a degree, and at the same time, or because of that, downtown retail has taken a double shot to the gut.

First, it was the "move to the malls", followed by the move to online buying, that has decimated downtown Rochester. Honestly, I haven't been "downtown" in years. I can recall both times that I've been downtown, in the last 10 years, and it was just "passing through", getting from someplace on the westside, to my home on the east side, and travelling down Main Street was the shortest path. Yet at the same time, I can remember when I was a kid, 50-60 years ago, and Main Street was "wall to wall" with unique stores, from the Gibbs Street, at the east end, all the way to Genesee Street, at the west end.

What's there today??
Not much retail, but I drove through a few weeks back and it was a beehive of activity with contractors everywhere. Lots of companies moving downtown and most buildings going mixed use.

Old 02-22-2022, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Not much retail, but I drove through a few weeks back and it was a beehive of activity with contractors everywhere. Lots of companies moving downtown and most buildings going mixed use.
That's good to hear, I guess. It's good to think that somehow or other, Rochester's downtown area could experience a serious reinvigoration. (I still think that it was a shame that Midtown Plaza was torn down. I have a number of memories from there.....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area