Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 08:18 PM

15,673 posts, read 15,824,331 times

Advertisements

They go way, way back. Interesting about Frederick Douglass.

THE RISE AND FALL OF AN AMERICAN TECH GIANT
Kodak changed the way Americans saw themselves and their country. But it struggled to reinvent itself for the digital age.

Rochester was founded as a mill town after the Revolutionary War, but boomed with the opening of its section of the Erie Canal in the 1820s.
And then, one day, there was Kodak. The first camera for ordinary people was a long black box, about the size of a loaf of bread, introduced in 1888. It was marketed with advertisements meant to convey ease of use—in the images, both women and children were using the cameras successfully. “You press the button, we do the rest.”
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...w-york/619009/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2021, 06:48 AM

6,617 posts, read 3,266,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
They go way, way back. Interesting about Frederick Douglass.

THE RISE AND FALL OF AN AMERICAN TECH GIANT
Kodak changed the way Americans saw themselves and their country. But it struggled to reinvent itself for the digital age.

Rochester was founded as a mill town after the Revolutionary War, but boomed with the opening of its section of the Erie Canal in the 1820s.
And then, one day, there was Kodak. The first camera for ordinary people was a long black box, about the size of a loaf of bread, introduced in 1888. It was marketed with advertisements meant to convey ease of use—in the images, both women and children were using the cameras successfully. “You press the button, we do the rest.”
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...w-york/619009/
That's an interesting article, and one that goes into a little more depth, than any of the other "Kodak obituaries" that I've read. As a 30+ year employee of the company, I thought, however, that the article glossed over one important part of the equation, which caused EK's rapid decline.

The lifeblood of the company was film, and ANYTHING that disrupted it's sale and processing, was a SERIOUS detriment to the company's financial stability. Digital photography did exactly that....it took film right out of the equation, therefore it took positive cash flow out of the equation.

A comment that many people have also mentioned, is why didn't Kodak make and sell digital cameras, since it was EK that invented them. The answer to that is simple, cost. The profits of the film business was substantial enough to basically subsidize the manufacture of film based cameras. Many people, working at EK's Elmgrove Road facility, earned a decent living, manufacturing cameras. Their counterparts, working in the "Pacific rim" factories, were paid significantly less. Without the profits from film to offset this, EK could not show a profit from just manufacturing cameras.

Photographic film, was the "legs" that propped up the company.

Old 11-20-2021, 08:18 AM

5,796 posts, read 4,190,521 times
Not a very flattering article about Kodak or Rochester. I worked at Kodak and there were lots of blacks there.

No mention that even after Kodaks layoffs, Rochester has MORE employees working in related firms, etc.

Old 11-20-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
.......I worked at Kodak and there were lots of blacks there.

No mention that even after Kodaks layoffs, Rochester has MORE employees working in related firms, etc.

It all depended on WHEN you worked for EK. I started there in the very early 70s, and yes, at that time, there were a number of minority employees. What many people don't know, is that in the company's early days, they wouldn't employ people of Italian ethnicity, either......

Old 11-20-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
It all depended on WHEN you worked for EK. I started there in the very early 70s, and yes, at that time, there were a number of minority employees. What many people don't know, is that in the company's early days, they wouldn't employ people of Italian ethnicity, either......
I worked there in the 80's and there was at least proportionate # of blacks to population in general in my building.

Seems like just another story about how people were mistreated in the PAST and things have been corrected. Many have refused to move on, and still complain about the past. Many have moved on and become millionaires, and very successful.

Old 11-21-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
...........Seems like just another story about how people were mistreated in the PAST and things have been corrected. Many have refused to move on, and still complain about the past.
Isn't that how the "left" operates?

Old 11-23-2021, 06:19 AM

94,363 posts, read 125,317,565 times
To be fair, this covenant from the Kodak housing development mentioned in the article just got removed just under a year ago: https://amp.democratandchronicle.com/amp/3944085001

Old 11-24-2021, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
To be fair, this covenant from the Kodak housing development mentioned in the article just got removed just under a year ago: https://amp.democratandchronicle.com/amp/3944085001
A LOT of things have changed, in the last 100 years, so I don't understand the need to drag things up from the past.

Old 11-24-2021, 07:03 AM

94,363 posts, read 125,317,565 times
Quote:
A LOT of things have changed, in the last 100 years, so I don't understand the need to drag things up from the past.
The thing is that the covenants just got officially revoked within the year is the point. So, things that can get put on the books in the past can be kept on the books for a long time or even very recently/now.

This is off of the Meadowbrook neighborhood association website in terms of what to do in order to get such covenants removed: https://meadowbrookbrighton.org/abou...d/cord-how-to/

Old 11-24-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
There's only one reason to bring up the past. To find someone to blame. Next, you demand a financial compensation. At the same time, you do nothing to help yourself, because it's "not my fault".

Blacks, and others who feel disenfranchised would have created a beautiful middle class life long ago if there weren't people getting rich and famous, while "helping".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
View detailed profiles of: