Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 10:01 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,820,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart NY View Post
This made me think of another question I wanted to ask. Have any of you ever been in one of those massive winter traffic jams when everyone is stuck in their vehicles for many hours and people start running out of gas in the freezing cold, etc?
This is a VERY rare occurrence even for this part of the country. I'm sure people will argue but Rochester actually does a pretty good job of snow removal considering the amount of snow we get. I've been doing the same 25 minute commute for 6 winters now and I think the longest its ever taken me due to winter weather is maybe 40 minutes. If it is snowing just make sure to take a quick look at the traffic before you make your way out the door. I typically always use google maps (with traffic) when its snowing, even if I know exactly where I'm going, just so I can get any up-to-date traffic alerts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2022, 08:34 AM

163 posts, read 102,702 times
This winter it might be a good idea to call some driving schools and ask about lessons to learn winter driving skills. I'm just thinking you can't possibly have much experience driving in snow. Also consider getting a set of winter tires.
You'd be wise to follow the winter driving advice from the other posts here, about your gas tank and checking traffic.

Old 07-09-2022, 08:40 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,103,276 times
^ I wouldn't say you need to do all that. Just use caution, and you will learn your own way, and sometimes it's certain areas that are more difficult. I believe the OP's husband is from Chicago. Just good radial tires is all you need. A 4 WD vehicle definitely is a plus, but not necessary.

Old 07-09-2022, 02:23 PM

6,462 posts, read 3,157,496 times
Find an empty, large, flat, snow covered parking lot, and start "spinning donuts", and recovering from them. Practice makes perfect.

Old 07-29-2022, 12:58 PM

224 posts, read 136,785 times
More questions:

Would you consider the Browncroft neighborhood in Rochester equally safe as the Council-Rock Estates neighborhood in Brighton? Do you consider certain suburbs to be safer than Browncroft?

Which of the villages have the most and least vehicle traffic? (In the village center areas.)

Old 07-29-2022, 04:24 PM

Quote:
More questions:

Would you consider the Browncroft neighborhood in Rochester equally safe as the Council-Rock Estates neighborhood in Brighton? Do you consider certain suburbs to be safer than Browncroft?

Which of the villages have the most and least vehicle traffic? (In the village center areas.)
Browncroft area is reasonable safe, but it's proximity to the "city", IMHO, would make it somewhat less safe than Brighton, if I had to make an evaluation. From a traffic standpoint, I don't think the term "villages" would be an apt description of either area. "Neighborhood" would be a better way of describing them, and both are fairly well travelled, as major streets traverse both areas.

Winton Road is one of the longest, and busiest north/south streets in the metropolitan area, and it originates in the Town of Henrietta, at it's southern terminus, passes through both the town of Brighton, as well as the Browncroft area of the city, and reaches it's northern terminus in the Town of Irondequoit..

The Browncroft area used to have a fairly good variety of retail stores, in the "strip plaza" at the eastern end of Main Street, where it ends at Winton Road, but the major stores, such as the supermarket (anybody remember the Star Market chain?) and the drug store (remember the Rexall chain?) both left decades ago, and the major store there, currently, is a Wilson Farms store, I think.

In Brighton, the majority of the retail stores there, were concentrated in the Winton Road/Monroe Avenue/Elmwood Avenue area, dubbed the "12 corners" area. However, in the early-mid 1960s, Pittsford Plaza, a couple of miles east, on Monroe Avenue, took over the reins as the main retail hub of that area, but the 12 corners area is still somewhat strong and diverse.

Old 07-29-2022, 06:33 PM

To clarify the question about traffic in the various villages - I meant the villages like Fairport, Pittsford, Spencerport, Brockport.

Old 07-30-2022, 05:16 AM

Quote:
To clarify the question about traffic in the various villages - I meant the villages like Fairport, Pittsford, Spencerport, Brockport.
I can't comment on the "western villages", such as Spencerport and Brockport, as I live on the eastern side of the county. However, I'll say that Fairport and Pittsford can be somewhat "traffic dense" at times. I believe that's because the towns, themselves, actually have somewhat narrow streets, built decades ago, yet over later periods, 3 and 4 lane roads were constructed around them, as the population of the area grew. You then have a "funnel effect", as the newer roads enter the older, narrower village roads.

In the case of Fairport, you also have a main north/south road that runs right through it, that being Route 250. This is also one of the longer north/south roads in the county, as it's southern terminus is at Route 96, adjacent to Eastview mall, and running north, through the towns of Penfield and Webster, all the way to the Lake Ontario shoreline.

Old 07-30-2022, 07:48 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,103,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I can't comment on the "western villages", such as Spencerport and Brockport, as I live on the eastern side of the county. However, I'll say that Fairport and Pittsford can be somewhat "traffic dense" at times. I believe that's because the towns, themselves, actually have somewhat narrow streets, built decades ago, yet over later periods, 3 and 4 lane roads were constructed around them, as the population of the area grew. You then have a "funnel effect", as the newer roads enter the older, narrower village roads.

In the case of Fairport, you also have a main north/south road that runs right through it, that being Route 250. This is also one of the longer north/south roads in the county, as it's southern terminus is at Route 96, adjacent to Eastview mall, and running north, through the towns of Penfield and Webster, all the way to the Lake Ontario shoreline.
Also, Fairport has an at grade train crossing right in the middle of town, that can cause delays.

Old 07-30-2022, 09:33 AM

leadfoot - yes "traffic dense" is a good way to describe what I regularly experience in a couple parts of Pittsford. The area around Schoen Place and also parts of 96 / Jefferson. Never causes me too much of a delay but it does surprise me whenever I see so many drivers out on these little roads. I guess in a way it's annoying but on the other hand it makes Pittsford feel pretty hoppin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area