Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 11:29 PM

8,492 posts, read 4,738,627 times

Advertisements

This isn’t pretty, but it’s also not ugly. I’ll be brief.

Highs:
Schools. At least in the burbs - I’m in Greece - the schools are excellent with a lot of supportive staff. My daughter no longer needs to be in a gifted program, because she’s finally challenged!
Really mild summers
A culture built to take advantage of said summers
Huge variety of public spaces - this is a big one
Availability of public services - was never a fan until I needed them.
Food’s actually pretty good, maybe not entirely what you or I am used to; but what’s here is rarely disappointing
Higher wages
Strong job market
Basically no traffic
If you have an in like myself, you might have a place in the country where you can screw around, go shooting, etc. Country life exists up here!
Festivals and such which take in a lot of different cultures and subjects. Often free or cheap…Fringe festival is a good example.
RIT/University of Rochester. Plus a pretty damn good brain trust left over from Kodak. Y’all are stubborn for sticking around!

Lows:
Don’t be in the city. Or interact with city people. Being a naïve suburban kid, I’m already scarred just working retail in Irondequoit between Ridge and 104. If you’re used to this, disregard. And NO, that’s not any kind of racial claim. I’ve seen all colors, in rough proportion, be that ghetto city person.
General cost of living. Table for three at some nationally known, quite casual chains are $20 more on average vs Texas, and I ain’t in NYC
Raynaud’s Syndrome makes even spring and fall a finger/toe hell. And no, better gloves/boots don’t help. I don’t want anymore quaint suggestions, because I’ve tried that already. I’m
Guns and taxes
Not sure how winter/salt on vehicles will be? The damage looks hella rough.

Overall…you could do worse, but there’s a rough underbelly and it cost me my job and a trip to a lawyer at least. Roc isn’t for the faint of heart, but it’s got a good core. Lots of public space, good food and culture, but YMMV. Not the worst hit of rust belt cities, she’s still hurting, which isn’t the worst thing; she has to innovate to survive.

Last edited by jcp123; 09-26-2022 at 11:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2022, 10:54 AM

5,695 posts, read 4,093,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
This isn’t pretty, but it’s also not ugly. I’ll be brief.

Highs:
Schools. At least in the burbs - I’m in Greece - the schools are excellent with a lot of supportive staff. My daughter no longer needs to be in a gifted program, because she’s finally challenged!
Really mild summers
A culture built to take advantage of said summers
Huge variety of public spaces - this is a big one
Availability of public services - was never a fan until I needed them.
Food’s actually pretty good, maybe not entirely what you or I am used to; but what’s here is rarely disappointing
Higher wages
Strong job market
Basically no traffic
If you have an in like myself, you might have a place in the country where you can screw around, go shooting, etc. Country life exists up here!
Festivals and such which take in a lot of different cultures and subjects. Often free or cheap…Fringe festival is a good example.
RIT/University of Rochester. Plus a pretty damn good brain trust left over from Kodak. Y’all are stubborn for sticking around!

Lows:
Don’t be in the city. Or interact with city people. Being a naïve suburban kid, I’m already scarred just working retail in Irondequoit between Ridge and 104. If you’re used to this, disregard. And NO, that’s not any kind of racial claim. I’ve seen all colors, in rough proportion, be that ghetto city person.
General cost of living. Table for three at some nationally known, quite casual chains are $20 more on average vs Texas, and I ain’t in NYC
Raynaud’s Syndrome makes even spring and fall a finger/toe hell. And no, better gloves/boots don’t help. I don’t want anymore quaint suggestions, because I’ve tried that already. I’m
Guns and taxes
Not sure how winter/salt on vehicles will be? The damage looks hella rough.

Overall…you could do worse, but there’s a rough underbelly and it cost me my job and a trip to a lawyer at least. Roc isn’t for the faint of heart, but it’s got a good core. Lots of public space, good food and culture, but YMMV. Not the worst hit of rust belt cities, she’s still hurting, which isn’t the worst thing; she has to innovate to survive.
Ridge Road East and NY 104 are both in Irondequoit, although it does feel like the city, sometimes. The Irondequoit/ city line is near Norton st.

Salt shouldn't be a problem. The cars are much better now.

Yes, COL is higher here, and taxes. That's what pays for the services you mentioned.

I'm curious if you've found some favorite restaurants, or other favorite things.

Old 09-27-2022, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Ridge Road East and NY 104 are both in Irondequoit, although it does feel like the city, sometimes. The Irondequoit/ city line is near Norton st.

Salt shouldn't be a problem. The cars are much better now.

Yes, COL is higher here, and taxes. That's what pays for the services you mentioned.

I'm curious if you've found some favorite restaurants, or other favorite things.
Yeah I was sandwiched between Ridge and 104, and it definitely felt like the city.

Standouts? I have to echo the public greenspace. It’s really nice to be in a place which has Frederick Law Olmstead’s fingerprints on it, with Kodak money to back it up. That’s incredibly enduring and one of the finest assets I’ve seen in any city I’ve been to. Durand beach and the adjoining arboretum are great, Maplewood and Seneca Park, even out to Greece where I am and having Greece Canal Park with trails, lodges, grass, forest, and playgrounds is just a real treat. And I love the festivals and concerts here, people really take advantage of the summers here. I was out at the Fringe festival recently and apart from $6 for parking, it was amazing entertainment for free! Sea breeze is really nice considering the price as well, my daughter had her elementary school graduation just before summer break.

Food wise I haven’t quite settled in yet. I have noticed that mom and pops generally have higher quality food than the chains, which is a nice change. I’m not that into kinda thin NY pizza, but there’s a definite crust up here and Perri’s really impressed me. D.P. Dough has been a lifesaver for late night visits to the hospital as well.

I’m dubious about the salt claims. But maybe you’re used to it, for me I can file that under culture shock. It’s amazing how short the lifespan of cars are here!

Old 09-28-2022, 06:19 AM

6,438 posts, read 3,143,427 times
Quote:
.........I’m dubious about the salt claims. But maybe you’re used to it, for me I can file that under culture shock. It’s amazing how short the lifespan of cars are here!
You think that cars are "short lived" in this area, today? As "JW Rocks" previously mentioned, the rust resistance of cars is much better, now. For instance, I remember when Honda first entered the market, in this part of the country, in the early 1970s. 3 winters in this area, and their cars were "throw aways".....LITERALLY!!

Old 09-28-2022, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Yeah I was sandwiched between Ridge and 104, and it definitely felt like the city.

Standouts? I have to echo the public greenspace. It’s really nice to be in a place which has Frederick Law Olmstead’s fingerprints on it, with Kodak money to back it up. That’s incredibly enduring and one of the finest assets I’ve seen in any city I’ve been to. Durand beach and the adjoining arboretum are great, Maplewood and Seneca Park, even out to Greece where I am and having Greece Canal Park with trails, lodges, grass, forest, and playgrounds is just a real treat. And I love the festivals and concerts here, people really take advantage of the summers here. I was out at the Fringe festival recently and apart from $6 for parking, it was amazing entertainment for free! Sea breeze is really nice considering the price as well, my daughter had her elementary school graduation just before summer break.

Food wise I haven’t quite settled in yet. I have noticed that mom and pops generally have higher quality food than the chains, which is a nice change. I’m not that into kinda thin NY pizza, but there’s a definite crust up here and Perri’s really impressed me. D.P. Dough has been a lifesaver for late night visits to the hospital as well.

I’m dubious about the salt claims. But maybe you’re used to it, for me I can file that under culture shock. It’s amazing how short the lifespan of cars are here!
My favorite pizza is Pizzeria Americana on Long Pond rd. It has a nice crust and the sauce is a little sweeter than most. Give them a try

Old 09-28-2022, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
You think that cars are "short lived" in this area, today? As "JW Rocks" previously mentioned, the rust resistance of cars is much better, now. For instance, I remember when Honda first entered the market, in this part of the country, in the early 1970s. 3 winters in this area, and their cars were "throw aways".....LITERALLY!!
I mean…yeah. The median age of cars here, I’d estimate, is about half of what I saw in Texas, or for that matter in Cali, where I grew up. It’s still shocking. If this is what you’re used to, you’d be similarly shocked moving to those places and seeing how easily someone is still driving a ‘93 Camry or something as a daily. As a car guy for pretty much as far back as I can remember, it hit me hard and fast once I started driving around up here.

Old 09-28-2022, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
My favorite pizza is Pizzeria Americana on Long Pond rd. It has a nice crust and the sauce is a little sweeter than most. Give them a try
Learned today that it’s more like Buffalo style pizza here. No wonder I like it, it’s always been crispier and a tad more substantial than traditional NY pizza. I dig the crispy pepperoni and the cheese isn’t cheap crappy cheese. I like the local chains. Salvatore’s, Perri’s, Pontillo’s…all pretty quality even if it’s still not generally speaking my fav type of pizza. I should have mentioned Chester Cab. I love me some Chicago deep dish. It’s not the best I’ve ever had…except it kinda is, just because it exists and it’s local, lol. I’ve had some really delicious subs here too, just can’t remember from where (one was DiBella’s, but the other two awesome ones were way better).

Last edited by jcp123; 09-28-2022 at 03:44 PM..

Old 09-28-2022, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Learned today that it’s more like Buffalo style pizza here. No wonder I like it, it’s always been crispier and a tad more substantial than traditional NY pizza. I dig the crispy pepperoni and the cheese isn’t cheap crappy cheese. I like the local chains. Salvatore’s, Perri’s, Pontillo’s…all pretty quality even if it’s still not generally speaking my fav type of pizza. I should have mentioned Chester Cab. I love me some Chicago deep dish. It’s not the best I’ve ever had…except it kinda is, just because it exists and it’s local, lol. I’ve had some really delicious subs here too, just can’t remember from where (one was DiBella’s, but the other two awesome ones were way better).
I didn't know there was a Buffalo style pizza. There's all types here. A lot of people like Carbones and I think they have 3 locations in Greece

For subs around Greece there's Ricci's Deli on Latta, Pino's, on Ridge, Calabreses' on Buffalo rd, Ciacia's on Dewey

Old 09-29-2022, 06:23 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,923,585 times
Quote:
Overall…you could do worse, but there’s a rough underbelly and it cost me my job and a trip to a lawyer at least.
So, uh, what happened? Or do you not want to get into specifics?

Old 10-01-2022, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
So, uh, what happened? Or do you not want to get into specifics?
I believe at this point since I am putting a lawsuit together, it’s probably best to not really talk about it any more specifically than I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area