Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2023, 07:43 PM

224 posts, read 137,448 times

Advertisements

There will be a new Frederick Douglass museum on E Main St downtown!

https://www.whec.com/top-news/freder...t-main-street/

https://www.wxxinews.org/local-news/...ster?_amp=true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2023, 06:20 AM

5,743 posts, read 4,122,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart NY View Post
That's good news. I thought there was going to be a car museum there. Surprised there hasn't been any taxpayer funded support since Susan B Anthony House just got $10 million.

Old 02-20-2023, 06:27 AM

93,628 posts, read 124,375,652 times
To be honest, I’m surprised that this wasn’t done years ago, as historical tourism could be used to the city’s advantage. Especially African American history due to much of it not necessarily be taught in schools and there is interest in learning about said history, in general. Especially given that NY State had more Black residents than any other state from about 1960-2015 or so and is currently 3rd or 4th only behind TX, GA and maybe FL, with all 4 being close in that regard with around/above 3 million residents that identify as such and is about 10th in percentage(again, similar to FL). So, the market for such tourism just within the state is actually pretty big.

Added later: https://blackdemographics.com/popula...te-population/

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-20-2023 at 06:40 AM..

Old 02-20-2023, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
To be honest, I’m surprised that this wasn’t done years ago, as historical tourism could be used to the city’s advantage. Especially African American history due to much of it not necessarily be taught in schools and there is interest in learning about said history, in general. Especially given that NY State had more Black residents than any other state from about 1960-2015 or so and is currently 3rd or 4th only behind TX, GA and maybe FL, with all 4 being close in that regard with around/above 3 million residents that identify as such and is about 10th in percentage(again, similar to FL). So, the market for such tourism just within the state is actually pretty big.

Added later: https://blackdemographics.com/popula...te-population/
I agree. I'm not sure where, but I understand there are a bunch of FD statues around town.
There is one in the SB Anthony neighborhood with them both having tea, but the rest are just him.

As I've mentioned numerous times, Rochester's leadership is very lame in marketing the area.

Old 02-20-2023, 09:02 AM

224 posts, read 137,448 times
On one of our visits to Rochester before we moved here, we went to the Susan B Anthony house and we had asked if there was also a tour of any Frederick Douglass properties. We were told unfortunately his home is no longer standing. I later learned he lived in multiple homes during his many years in Rochester and possibly one of them is still there? In any case, it seems long overdue for Rochester to have a dedicated museum for Frederick Douglass.

In the news stories about the museum, the location is described as "in the old Atrium building just a few blocks from the Talman building where Douglass published his paper." I looked up the Talman building - wow seems like quite a significant historic site and currently has tenants including a type foundry / printing studio. I tried to find info about the history of the "Atrium" building at 140 Main but not really finding any info about it.

Old 02-20-2023, 09:38 AM

6,489 posts, read 3,180,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
That's good news. I thought there was going to be a car museum there. Surprised there hasn't been any taxpayer funded support since Susan B Anthony House just got $10 million.
I did, too. I thought that the fellow who was overseeing that was a MoPar enthusiast, and had moved several notable cars in there, about a year or so ago.....

Old 02-20-2023, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart NY View Post
On one of our visits to Rochester before we moved here, we went to the Susan B Anthony house and we had asked if there was also a tour of any Frederick Douglass properties. We were told unfortunately his home is no longer standing. I later learned he lived in multiple homes during his many years in Rochester and possibly one of them is still there? In any case, it seems long overdue for Rochester to have a dedicated museum for Frederick Douglass.

In the news stories about the museum, the location is described as "in the old Atrium building just a few blocks from the Talman building where Douglass published his paper." I looked up the Talman building - wow seems like quite a significant historic site and currently has tenants including a type foundry / printing studio. I tried to find info about the history of the "Atrium" building at 140 Main but not really finding any info about it.
There is a Fredrick residence on South ave, near Highland Park. On the west side of the road, I believe, but don't know the number.

The Atrium Building, if I am correct, once was an Edwards department store. They have tried to revive it different times. Once, they tried to made a mini mall, called the Mill. And as I mentioned, and Leadfoot agrees, we thought it was to be car museum, owned by the owner of CGI communications, next door. Hopefully both museums work out.

Old 02-21-2023, 12:11 PM

5,540 posts, read 3,954,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I agree. I'm not sure where, but I understand there are a bunch of FD statues around town.
There is one in the SB Anthony neighborhood with them both having tea, but the rest are just him.

As I've mentioned numerous times, Rochester's leadership is very lame in marketing the area.
Three of Rochester's Douglass statues have been vandalized since 2018. Not a good look.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com...ny/8360111002/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area