Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2024, 03:57 PM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times

Advertisements

Anyone on this forum live on the east side of Monroe County?

I do, and I'm on the "glide path" for the airport, with commercial aircraft flying over my house on a regular basis. I also live on a "side street" off of a main road, so I'm used to traffic at all hours.

My point is that this "regular traffic" shares a distinct pattern, in that you hear a faint noise, and as the car or plane gets nearer, the sound gets louder as the traffic flies/drives by, then diminishes as they pass further away.

Last night, around 3AM, I, as an official "old man", made my way to the bathroom to relieve myself, and when I returned to bed, I heard what sounded like a small-medium sized engine in the distance. It got closer, and I assumed it was just a small car or plane passing by. HOWEVER, the sound increased, diminished, then increased again, and diminished again, and this went on for about 10 minutes.

I'm thinking it was either some sort of drone, or I was having a wild dream. Anybody else happen to hear this, and/or know what I might have heard? Are we being surveilled??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2024, 05:25 PM

5,672 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Anyone on this forum live on the east side of Monroe County?

I do, and I'm on the "glide path" for the airport, with commercial aircraft flying over my house on a regular basis. I also live on a "side street" off of a main road, so I'm used to traffic at all hours.

My point is that this "regular traffic" shares a distinct pattern, in that you hear a faint noise, and as the car or plane gets nearer, the sound gets louder as the traffic flies/drives by, then diminishes as they pass further away.

Last night, around 3AM, I, as an official "old man", made my way to the bathroom to relieve myself, and when I returned to bed, I heard what sounded like a small-medium sized engine in the distance. It got closer, and I assumed it was just a small car or plane passing by. HOWEVER, the sound increased, diminished, then increased again, and diminished again, and this went on for about 10 minutes.

I'm thinking it was either some sort of drone, or I was having a wild dream. Anybody else happen to hear this, and/or know what I might have heard? Are we being surveilled??
Wondering if you live near those windmills on 104, and if they make noise. Also, maybe Xerox? There's a lot of heavy equipment there, including large fans. There's also that large construction project. Fairlife.

Old 03-29-2024, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Wondering if you live near those windmills on 104, and if they make noise. Also, maybe Xerox? There's a lot of heavy equipment there, including large fans. There's also that large construction project. Fairlife.
Interesting suggestions, but the windmills, I think, would be too far away for me to hear them, and they've been around for as long as I've been in my house. I kind of think the same thing with Xerox...

Old 03-29-2024, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Interesting suggestions, but the windmills, I think, would be too far away for me to hear them, and they've been around for as long as I've been in my house. I kind of think the same thing with Xerox...
Sorry, I wasn't clear. What I meant to say, if any of these things were malfunctioning, for instance a bad bearing in a rooftop fan. At 3 am on a quiet evening, a high pitched squeal could travel for many miles, especially considering my examples are all above the trees.

Old 03-29-2024, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Sorry, I wasn't clear. What I meant to say, if any of these things were malfunctioning, for instance a bad bearing in a rooftop fan. At 3 am on a quiet evening, a high pitched squeal could travel for many miles, especially considering my examples are all above the trees.
Good ideas, but the noise I heard sounded like it was hovering back and forth, over my house....it was crazy, I think. I'm reasonably certain that I wasn't dreaming.

Old 03-29-2024, 03:45 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Did you go outside to look and listen? or just lay in bed wondering? Hard for us to guess what you might have heard without more to go on.

Most personal drones sound more like a an electric weedwhacker than an engine.

Old 03-29-2024, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Good ideas, but the noise I heard sounded like it was hovering back and forth, over my house....it was crazy, I think. I'm reasonably certain that I wasn't dreaming.
with that info, I don't know. I does sound like a drone from what you say. Who knows the owner, and intent. Check it out and shoot it down if you see it.

Old 03-30-2024, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Did you go outside to look and listen? or just lay in bed wondering? Hard for us to guess what you might have heard without more to go on.

Most personal drones sound more like a an electric weedwhacker than an engine.
No, I didn't go outside because it was late, fairly cold outside, around 30*F, and I didn't want to get dressed. I looked out the windows, but couldn't see anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area