Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 06:13 AM

37 posts, read 129,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedzone View Post
One thing that is striking about downtown Rochester when I do a virtual drive thru on Google Maps is Where are all the people? Nice buildings, lovely city, NO PEOPLE?!
Creepy in a way. Sort of like a twilight zone episode.

Wow...you need to get outside a little more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 11:27 AM

112 posts, read 381,304 times
Too true. Just came back from a visit. Rochester is a nice place. I think a lot of the missing population from Buffalo moved to Rochester a long time ago.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:09 AM

260 posts, read 977,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friedzone View Post
Too true. Just came back from a visit. Rochester is a nice place. I think a lot of the missing population from Buffalo moved to Rochester a long time ago.
Oh man... And Syracuse, I graduated with a lot of kids that moved from both cities.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:05 PM

213 posts, read 449,431 times
It should be noted that the buffalo niagara region has a population of 2,475,000.

Buffalo Niagara Region - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-26-2011, 09:23 PM

317 posts, read 826,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffalonianPride View Post
It should be noted that the buffalo niagara region has a population of 2,475,000.

Buffalo Niagara Region - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Too bad the name of the thread isn't Rochester vs. The Buffalo Niagara Region

Old 11-27-2011, 07:51 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,877 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned: post you were quoting/replying to has been deleted

Hey, they stole our area code. Talk about adding insult to injury!

Last edited by bellafinzi; 11-27-2011 at 03:02 PM..

Old 11-27-2011, 09:29 AM

5,708 posts, read 4,100,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notasmoker View Post
Hey, they stole our area code. Talk about adding insult to injury!
That cost the Rochester area business' millions.

Without Rochester, there would be no Bills or Sabres, yet all we hear is what a great sports town Buffalo is.

We get no hydro power despite helping to pay for the federally built plant.
(OK, maybe Fairport, Hilton and Spencerport, but not RG&E customers).

It seems that Rochester supports Buffalo in many of it's endevers, but I can't think of any where Buffalo supports, or yields to Rochester.

Buffalo likes to be known as "the city of good neighbors," but why is downtown Niagara Falls such a disaster? All development is funneled to Buffalo.

Here's another comparason of a city of good neighbors-volunteerism
Buffalo in middle on volunteerism - Business First

Old 11-27-2011, 05:27 PM

466 posts, read 982,770 times
The people of Buffalo have a severe inferiority complex. Something I noticed while attending school there.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:15 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,594,056 times
It is heavily driven by their local media believe it or not. Any time statistics come out about how the economy is doing better here than it is there (which lets face it, has been the case for about 50 years now) they try to skew it some how......"oh well our population is shrinking while theirs is growing, but their metro area includes way more counties and blah blah blah". They also point out ANY time a stat makes them look better (i.e. marginally higher crime or poverty rate some years).

I don't think it is the majority of Buffalonians who feel this way; just a very vocal bunch who have nothing better to do basically. I think Buffalo-Niagara is a fine area and need to form a unified front with them along with Syracuse to gain some voice in state-wide policies that affect all of us negatively to benefit downstate!

Old 11-28-2011, 06:45 PM

466 posts, read 982,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
It is heavily driven by their local media believe it or not. Any time statistics come out about how the economy is doing better here than it is there (which lets face it, has been the case for about 50 years now) they try to skew it some how......"oh well our population is shrinking while theirs is growing, but their metro area includes way more counties and blah blah blah". They also point out ANY time a stat makes them look better (i.e. marginally higher crime or poverty rate some years).

I don't think it is the majority of Buffalonians who feel this way; just a very vocal bunch who have nothing better to do basically. I think Buffalo-Niagara is a fine area and need to form a unified front with them along with Syracuse to gain some voice in state-wide policies that affect all of us negatively to benefit downstate!
True. I can see where some of them are coming from. Buffalo was once a very large and important city in this country and it's been nothing but a long and depressing decline. Rochester was always much smaller and the "little brother". Well, the metros are essentially the same size now and Rochester has the better economy and higher GDP. No one likes to see their little brother become bigger and stronger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area