Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:23 PM

2 posts, read 10,940 times

Advertisements

What are some foods native or unique to WNY?

I know of Weck sandwiches (buffalo), garbage plates.........what else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 09:31 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Country sweet chicken. White hots.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:42 AM

51 posts, read 171,563 times
The Anchor Bar in Buffalo claims to be the home of 'Buffalo Wings' (chicken wings). I think it's disputed by somewhere in Texas that claims to be the first to serve 'Hot Wings' though, but I'm pretty sure the consensus is that they originated in Buffalo*...

*there is another, now closed, resturant from Buffalo that also claims to have originated them.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:08 AM

260 posts, read 977,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-Uno View Post
The Anchor Bar in Buffalo claims to be the home of 'Buffalo Wings' (chicken wings). I think it's disputed by somewhere in Texas that claims to be the first to serve 'Hot Wings' though, but I'm pretty sure the consensus is that they originated in Buffalo*...

*there is another, now closed, resturant from Buffalo that also claims to have originated them.
Ive been the Anchor Bar countless times. Heck with Texas, Buffalo is #1. WNY PRIDE.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:06 AM

9 posts, read 57,190 times
Zweigles hot dogs, Abbots frozen custard

Old 07-22-2008, 09:27 AM

260 posts, read 977,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherarmywife View Post
Zweigles hot dogs, Abbots frozen custard
Wegmans!!

Old 07-22-2008, 09:30 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,182 times
Fish fry's! We miss the fish fry's that Rochester does all over-especially during the Lenten Season.
When we moved to MD , I was happy to see that someplace was advertising their "famous fish fry" and we tried it...
This is what it consisted of:
some type of fish-partly fried (they didn't offer broiled or anything else),green salad,hush puppies and stewed tomatoes ?? !!
We have since found out, this is how they apparently enjoy their fish fry's here in MD.
Where's the coleslaw,the Italian bread,the fries with the fish???
heheehhe....
it is just funny how other states enjoy different things....

We also miss hot sauce,as in the hot sauce served over the burgers at Charlies or Bill Gray's!

Old 07-22-2008, 12:41 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
Fish fry's! We miss the fish fry's that Rochester does all over-especially during the Lenten Season.
When we moved to MD , I was happy to see that someplace was advertising their "famous fish fry" and we tried it...
This is what it consisted of:
some type of fish-partly fried (they didn't offer broiled or anything else),green salad,hush puppies and stewed tomatoes ?? !!
We have since found out, this is how they apparently enjoy their fish fry's here in MD.
Where's the coleslaw,the Italian bread,the fries with the fish???
heheehhe....
it is just funny how other states enjoy different things....

We also miss hot sauce,as in the hot sauce served over the burgers at Charlies or Bill Gray's!
I don't think fish fry is a Rochester thing. New England, Upstate NY, anywhere that had a large Catholic population 50 years ago is gonna have fish fry served with cole slaw and french fries.

"Hot sauce" is definitely a western NY thing. When I first got it on my garbage plate, I was like, "where's the hot sauce?" Then I found out that the spiced meat IS considered hot sauce is western NY. I'm used to it now but the first time it was kinda weird.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:49 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I don't think fish fry is a Rochester thing. New England, Upstate NY, anywhere that had a large Catholic population 50 years ago is gonna have fish fry served with cole slaw and french fries.

"Hot sauce" is definitely a western NY thing. When I first got it on my garbage plate, I was like, "where's the hot sauce?" Then I found out that the spiced meat IS considered hot sauce is western NY. I'm used to it now but the first time it was kinda weird.

Yes, you are probably right in the fact that they most likely serve it like that in areas that have a high Catholic population... it was just strange to us when we moved down here, especially stewed tomatoes as the veggie choice... ugh.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:04 AM

9 posts, read 57,190 times
YES! Wegmans!! How could I forget? After we moved to Jersey, I drove an hour to get to the only weggies we have here, it felt like home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area