Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2008, 07:46 AM

10 posts, read 32,509 times

Advertisements

I've been to Rochester four years ago, absolutely loved the place. Now I'm considering moving there and renting a place downtown inside the Loop or in the East End. I need an update - any advice is appreciated:

Has anything changed for the worst (God forbid) in the city in the past couple of years?
What is the crime situation inside the Loop and in the East End?
What would you say is the overall quality of life in the downtown?
Which areas to avoid?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 09:00 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,713,676 times
Whats different from 4 years ago? Parts of the northeast side of the city have gone even more downhill. But you won't be near there. The east end has grown a little bit. A few more restaurants and bars/clubs. Crime in the inner loop and east end is not bad. Lower than most parts of the city. Most of the crime comes from bar fights. Overall quality is decent. Downtown is lacking a supermarket for residents. You have to go to wegmans on east ave or the public market for food. There really aren't any bad parts of downtown, just areas where there is not much going on. The east end and st paul quarter are the areas of downtown that have things going on.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:39 AM

Default moving to Rochester

Thank you very much garmin239.
My mother will be relocating to Rochester too. Do you think it's OK to walk around downtown in the evenings? I mean, is it OK for older people to live downtown/East End?

Old 12-26-2008, 12:00 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,713,676 times
Its fine to walk around downtown at night. As far as older people living in the east end, I don't know. Its a very popular night spot so it can get noisy on weekends. If I were to move an older person in that area, I'd try to find a place that doesn't face east ave.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:15 AM

Thanks very much. This is a most informative advise and in great English, too!

Happy Holidays

Old 01-01-2009, 08:53 AM

51 posts, read 171,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Downtown is lacking a supermarket for residents. You have to go to wegmans on east ave or the public market for food.
There's a Tops on Upper Falls Blvd as well...

Old 01-24-2009, 11:10 AM

Hello,
I've been searching for a gym/weight room in Rochester, but it seems that there is only two downtown - Harro Atletic Club and Downtown Fitness. Could it be true, only two gyms in the city? Does anyone now about any other gym/weightlifting outfit close to the downtown?
Also, I was offered a good deal on a rental near Monroe ave. and South Union street. What's the neighborhood is like? I mean, is it safe to walk around? Are there grocery stores and such close by?
Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:59 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,040 times
There are two more gyms that I know of. One is world gym off of East ave and the other is on Culver (forgot the name). You can see world gym from the 490.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:05 AM

525 posts, read 1,827,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjohn8 View Post
Hello,
I've been searching for a gym/weight room in Rochester, but it seems that there is only two downtown - Harro Atletic Club and Downtown Fitness. Could it be true, only two gyms in the city? Does anyone now about any other gym/weightlifting outfit close to the downtown?
Also, I was offered a good deal on a rental near Monroe ave. and South Union street. What's the neighborhood is like? I mean, is it safe to walk around? Are there grocery stores and such close by?
Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I haven't lived there in a few years, but that area of Monroe Avenue is a little iffy. There is a lot of bar traffic as well, so it can be a little noisy. I don't think I would want my mother living there. I'd suggest spending an evening in that area and see what you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area