Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2009, 08:28 PM

53 posts, read 250,266 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We're coming on up to Rochester for some house hunting Thurs - the weekend, so I'm getting pretty excited! Pack, pack, packing tomorrow and then taking the late flight out.

Anyway, some of my favorite prospective houses are in Pittsford, and I was hoping some of you might be familiar with the elementary schools in the area. I looked on greatschools.net, and Thornell Road Elementary got a disgruntled review from a parent, while most of the other elementary schools in the district had several positive (glowing) reviews. Another house we're going to look at goes to Mendon Center Elementary, and it seems to be reviewed better.

It's hard to say how much to trust these reviews, since it's like maybe just one p.o.'ed parent or student wrote in vs. the many satisfied families who didn't write a review.

If anyone has experience with the various elementary schools in Pittsford (and Brighton) that you think would be helpful (good or bad), I'd love to hear it. I'm just trying to collect as much data as possible as we move forward into the house hunting and decision making process!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 09:27 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
My kids don't go to Pittsford Schools....but I can't imagine there would be too much to complain about. Pittsford schools are highly praised and considered some of the best in the state along with Brighton. The fact that there was only one bad review should speak for itself....most schools in most districts probably have more than just one bad review! It probably is just an isolated incident.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:18 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
I was an art teacher and did some of my pre-student teaching housr at the Park Road Elementary... I loved it. I was welcomed by the staff with open arms and the kids were extremely polite and well mannered. The school had modern technology... we went on amazing field trips in the three weeks I was there... (THREE WEEKS!!! and I went on three field trips- that is unheard of in other districts)... The art room was fully stocked and a great sign of funding and support from the District. I would have loved to have taught there and think it would be a great place to send my children to school.

I just had a friend who did her student teaching at Thornell Rd El. and cannot say enough good things about the school, the kids, the staff...

The one thing I have to say about those sites where parents get to grade the schools... I kind of take them with a grain of salt. Sure, I do read them and think about what they have to say... but little Johnny or Jane might just be the minority.... best to go to the school and talk to the neighbors... you are doing the right thing by coming on hear and getting a better idea of what others have heard....

Old 03-04-2009, 07:45 AM

169 posts, read 476,375 times
A friends' daughter has been at Barker Road middle school for the past three years and raves about the quality of teaching, the kids, the whole experience. She previously attended private and public schools in the city of Rochester and the difference is night and day. I know this may seem a bit "downstream" for you, but the four neighborhood elementary schools in town funnel into the two middle schools and high schools (as I understand it, Barker Rd middle kids go to Mendon High and Calkins Rd middle kids populate Sutherland High) so you should get views on the middle schools and high schools as well. Your kids will be there before you know it (my oldest who was 2 yesterday has just received his driver's license).

Old 03-04-2009, 09:19 AM

53 posts, read 250,266 times
Thanks everyone! I was talking with the hub about it yesterday night, and he didn't put much stock into the parent reviews either. For some reason, the school districts in New York that I'm looking into don't have a "great schools" rating and instead only have user reviews to look at. It's easy to see that sometimes it's just the whiners who are motivated enough to write in a review.

Thanks skbs for the detailed impressions of each of those elementary schools!

Old 03-04-2009, 10:59 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
i'm not sure how "scientific" it is....but right here on city-data they have school ratings where 50 is "average" and the numbers for all of the schools in Pittsford are as follows...

[LEFT]Public high schools in Pittsford:
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]Public elementary/middle schools in Pittsford:
[/LEFT]

Old 03-04-2009, 02:11 PM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Check information here:https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/District.do?year=2007&county=MONROE&district=26140 1060000 (broken link)

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/District.do?year=2007&county=MONROE&district=26010 1060000 (broken link)

and for Monroe County:https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2007&county=Monroe (broken link)

Old 04-04-2009, 04:31 AM

4 posts, read 8,608 times
My kids are at Thornell and we just recently moved here last here. I have been happy with the school and feel that we have made the right choice for us. From the other folks I have talked to Mendon and Parks are also both great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area