Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2008, 04:18 PM

199 posts, read 536,493 times

Advertisements

I no longer drive, due to a neurological illness. I am considering Rochester
for my future move (June 2009). I emailed the RTS, but my question was not answered: Do buses serve all the Rochester area? If so,
is there a system map online? Can I buy a system map?
It looks like there are several bus systems for Rochester, am
I correct?

Thanks for the help,

-s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 09:49 AM

355 posts, read 2,369,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmanal View Post
Do buses serve all the Rochester area? If so,
is there a system map online? Can I buy a system map?
It looks like there are several bus systems for Rochester, am
I correct?

The local bus system in Rochester is managed by the Rochester Genesee Regional Transportation Authority. You can check their website at http://www.rgrta.org/

On their website you can see a section called "Schedules & Maps". You would have to choose "Regional Transit Service --> Schedules" for a list of bus routes in Rochester. The names of the routes are not self-explanatory sometimes, so you would have to check out each map to see which one applies to you.

You will also see that all routes go from downtown to the suburbs and viceversa. There are no routes connecting the different suburbs. So, if you want to go, for instance, from Brighton to Henrietta, you do not have an option (unless you want to ride the bus for an hour and a half, going to from Brighton to downtown first and then taking the bus back to Henrietta from downtown).

When I was choosing a place to live, I was between two apartment complexes. I went with my first choice, only to discover later that the bus runs only 4 times a day in that area. The other apartment complex (my second choice, which I did not select) is on two bus routes, and buses run every 30-40 minutes or so. Depending on how critical availability to bus routes is, you may want to check the routes/frequency first, and then decide on a place to live.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:17 AM

Default Thanks sooo much

I my end up buying a car anyway, but this information is enough
to get me started in that area.

Have a super weekend,

-s

Old 11-29-2008, 09:18 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,838 times
The bus service works great for going downtown and back. If you want to goto the outer areas your probably going to have to use two or more buses.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:21 PM

Default This info was quite helpful

I may end up buying a car, but I'm okay riding my bike; even in freezing weather.

I'm not sure how far away I'll live from down ton yet, and I'll
keep this in mind when searching for a place.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 4,883 times
Is there daily bus service from Denver to Brighton?

Old 04-29-2009, 11:10 AM

13 posts, read 100,115 times
Default Huh?

Denver? I dont think there is anywhere in rochester called denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by 165461 View Post
Is there daily bus service from Denver to Brighton?

Old 04-29-2009, 12:19 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,589,484 times
Its not real close to Roch you will have to transfer . Take the 11 to the 23 to the 48 to the 118 to the 43 to the 86 south this is a must or yu will get lost then take the 693 to the 6 then your in Chi. central so go across the street to the 9 and take that to Nebraska.......Turn left to the second bus stop take the 45 to the 87b off to the 57
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area