Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 08:57 PM

355 posts, read 2,369,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
there's a difference between being friendly and actually wanting to be/make a friend..
That is a good distinction, and I guess that is what I was aiming at originally. There is a natural tendency to gravitate towards people who are like us. Unless...you live in a diverse environment where people come from so very different backgrounds, and are so different from each other, that there aren't that many people who are just like you.

If someone has grown up in a place and can identify plenty of "in-group" members, i.e., people who also grew up in the same place, attended the same schools, spent time in the same shopping malls/beaches/parks/etc., then why would they spend time trying to get to know someone with whom they do not have much in common (i.e., an "out-group" member)?

Does anyone watch "The King of Queens"? There is an episode where Doug and Carrie lose their regular couple friends (Deacon and Kelly), so they have to think of ways to find new friends, e.g., to visit the local supermarket and strike a conversation with other couples...an interesting situation indeed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 11:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,322 times
Default Friendly in Rochester????? HARDLY

My daughter moved there 2 years ago this month from the west coast and it has been miserable for her. People are rude, landlords do all they can to screw tenants over and everyone is looking out for themselves.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:08 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,493,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I'm in my late 20s. I hang out with people in their late 20s/early 30s. I am constantly meeting people in their late 20s and 30s while out and about(bars, concerts, festivals, restaurants, sporting events, etc) who aren't hanging out with family.
At our family thanksgivings, christmas, and easters we've had outsiders countless numbers of times. And we're one of those close knit Italian families.

So have we and we are also one of those "close knit Italian families",which is why I don't understand why it is the way it is in all the areas we have lived...

Old 07-10-2009, 05:22 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lattema View Post
My daughter moved there 2 years ago this month from the west coast and it has been miserable for her. People are rude, landlords do all they can to screw tenants over and everyone is looking out for themselves.

I kind have to agree to a point. I do see dagree of something to the people from the west coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area