Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 12:48 PM

726 posts, read 2,148,235 times

Advertisements

I think your links prove my point. Not only is New York one of the top ten taxing states but also just about every county in New York made the list of highest property taxes. So add in the high sales tax and income tax and good luck with retirement. Yes a few states might have higher taxes but the vast majority (approximately 40+) have lower taxes and don't put the burden on their residents. I get that not everyone can or has the desire to jump ship and move across the country but it's time for NYers especially WNYers to say enough is enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 01:01 PM

93,385 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
I think your links prove my point. Not only is New York one of the top ten taxing states but also just about every county in New York made the list of highest property taxes. So add in the high sales tax and income tax and good luck with retirement. Yes a few states might have higher taxes but the vast majority (approximately 40+) have lower taxes and don't put the burden on their residents. I get that not everyone can or has the desire to jump ship and move across the country but it's time for NYers especially WNYers to say enough is enough.
While taxes are high, I believe the site also proved that other states, even those in high demand, tax more than people realize. Then, you have to think about other costs that need to be factored in. This isn't to say that people should keep things the way they are or to stay or go, but people need to consider a multitude of things in terms of where they live.

Also, in one of the articles I posted, it showed how far one's money can get them in an area. There were many NY metros that ranked high in that regard. So, again, you have to consider many things in terms of where you live.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:25 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,607 times
I'm jumping in the end of the posts so I may be repeating others but the fact that NYS is known to other states as the welfare mecca is a huge problem....they send their needest, lowest, unemployed because they know we have the services...as a result, our taxes climb, our residents are moving out and before too long, NYS will be just a garbage dump of misery with some lovely scenery...hope my house value holds long enough to dump it and join the exiting caravan......

Old 12-23-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Plenty are. It's called "FOR SALE" followed by change of address and a moving van...too bad the blind in Albany aren't paying attention.....keep hammering our pocketbooks.....oneof the state's biggest and richest supporters left for FL (Tom G) mainly due to the astronomical tax bill on his new home in Mendon...that should tell the underlings a thing or two..even the rich guy is fed up

Old 12-23-2009, 07:14 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,449,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
I'm jumping in the end of the posts so I may be repeating others but the fact that NYS is known to other states as the welfare mecca is a huge problem....they send their needest, lowest, unemployed because they know we have the services...as a result, our taxes climb, our residents are moving out and before too long, NYS will be just a garbage dump of misery with some lovely scenery...hope my house value holds long enough to dump it and join the exiting caravan......
Yeah, what's up with all the folks who vacillate between Florida and NY? I'm not talking retirees, either.

One major stat covered by the Public Policy Institute of NY, and other such organizations and think tanks, is the state's population losses. I'll find the stats in case anyone's interested. What the stats show (and the D&C has covered this in years past, albeit with articles which didn't delve into specifics) is that the domestic OUT-migration of residents is especially alarming. The PPI even has charts to show which states and even ZIP codes former NY state residents have gone to, and they found these through IRS records.

The slight increase in population in Monroe County, for example, has been attributed to the influx of foreign-born folks whom have flooded into NY state within the last 10-15 years. Without the 1M+ foreign-born folks whom have made NY home in the last 10+ years, the state would have had MAJOR population loss issues. Also, the stats show that income-wise, the people moving to NY state, even into NYC, have incomes which are, on average, 13%+ less than those who leave NY. This has cost NY state's treasury, and local municipalities, millions in tax revenue.

NYC has lost 1M+ residents in recent years, mostly due to the high costs of living and job losses in the financial industries, there. People have moved from NYC, and into NJ, CT, and NE Penna. Upstaters mostly head to the South the West. While the out-migration has slowed some, expect it to pick up steam, again, as other parts of the U.S. start to turn around. NY has lost roughly 2.5M people to other states since 1990, 1.5M between 2000 and 2008. Even hurricane-ravaged Louisiana hasn't had a net population loss close to NY's.

-

Old 12-23-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
How come so many people on these boards don't recognize the impact property taxes have on their own future? Yes yes yes the houses are cheap in WNY but what should end up in a low mortgage payment is negated by overwheming property taxes. Further some day the house will be paid off and some day you will want to retire but in WNY it's more of an unrealistic dream for most because in 30 years who knows where property taxes will be. A house that has a $6000 property tax bill today will likely be double in 30 years at the current rate of increase. So it may cost $1000 per month just for your taxes! There goes your social security check (if it's even around then anyway).
I am in the category of having a paid off home and I'm now carrying taxes that are double my taxes in 1988: $2900 then; $6100 today...... Newer, larger house, yes but I laugh when I recall that we said we'd move if we ever hit 3 thousand a year on a home in NYS ....

Counting the days...counting the days.....

Old 12-23-2009, 10:34 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,120 times
People get hung up on taxes a a percentage of market value. I would rather pay $150,000 for a house with $5,000 taxes in Rochester than $250,000 for the same house somewhere else that also has $5,000 taxes.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:03 AM

726 posts, read 2,148,235 times
The poster above obviously hasn't spent too much time looking at the property taxes in the other 51 states of the nation. There may be 5 that have an equal or higher tax rate. Not every state that has lower taxes has higher housing prices.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
The poster above obviously hasn't spent too much time looking at the property taxes in the other 51 states of the nation. There may be 5 that have an equal or higher tax rate. Not every state that has lower taxes has higher housing prices.
Texas might be the only state that has lower housing prices and lower taxes possibly on a consistent basis that I know of. That depends on where you are in that state as the taxes of some of the counties there are higher than some even in NY State according to the site I posted.

Also, why do people forget about the foreign immigration to Sun Belt states like Florida, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico and California that have had a increase in population? We have to be fair about that as well.

Here's another interesting article I came across too: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/24/us/24census.html

Old 12-24-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
That's not true. While NY is up there, there are some states that might surprise you: The Biggest US Welfare States - CNBC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area