Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 11:28 AM

19,825 posts, read 9,387,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
The rabbi, imam, priest, pastor, bhikkhu, and pujari are all the same person.
Well, it happened in Cicely, Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 01:24 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,646,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
You Know You Live in a Small Town When...

The "road hog" in front of you on Main Street is a farmer's
combine.

The local phone book has only one yellow page.

Third Street is on the edge of town.

You leave your jacket on the back of the chair in the cafe,
and when you go back the next day, it's still there, on the
same chair.

You don't signal turns because everyone knows where you're
going anyway.

No social events can be scheduled when the school gym floor
is being varnished.

You call a wrong number and are supplied with the correct
one.

Everyone knows all the news before it's published; residents
read the hometown paper just to see whether the publisher
got it right.
* there is actually enough wide open space to park a full-sized, crew cab 4x4 truck (by contrast, it would be really awkward in many parts of Phoenix)
* there is no mobile phone signal
* the "dirt roads" were built on top of horseback trails from the 1800s

Old 09-01-2019, 06:38 AM

167 posts, read 162,786 times
When the Chinese restaurant is too far away to deliver to your house, but they offer to meet you at the 7-11 that is about half way between them and you.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:51 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,665,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theminnow View Post
When the Chinese restaurant is too far away to deliver to your house, but they offer to meet you at the 7-11 that is about half way between them and you.
We have no restaurants in town but if we go out to the hotel on the highway Papa Johns from the “big town” will deliver to the lobby.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:04 PM

2,680 posts, read 1,383,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Our governor's wife works as a waitress in a restaurant.
I once worked in a small town if more or less a thousand people. The current mayor was the elementary school janitor and the previous mayor...whom the custodian had defeated in her reelection bid...was one of the lunch ladies in the same school. The election had been contentious and personal in nature, creating a very delicate situation at the school. In the same village the police department was only operational when the cruiser, which was an older model car, wasn't broke down...which happened fairly frequently. It would sometimes take the village months to come up with the money for the repairs.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:38 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,188,683 times
When you pull into the parking area at the local restaurant and you have to avoid a rooster who's strutting in between the parked cars. He was standing on the outside table when we left, my daughter gave him a few pets on our way out. 🐓

I never saw that before when I lived in the big city, and now I really think nothing of farm animals mingling around here, there, and everywhere.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:41 PM

7,273 posts, read 5,154,617 times
...when yo go to your relative's wedding and it doesn't make any difference which side of the isle you sit on.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:36 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,331,805 times
When you open up the local paper and see your kid on the front page taking up 3/4 of the space and it's NOT because he is in trouble. My son was on the front of this local paper right after school started. He was in kindergarten and on a firetruck with a fireman's helmet on and he had the happiest look on his face and his best smile. I didn't realize he was going to be in the paper so it was a bit of a shock to open up the morning paper and see my son on the cover.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:41 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,038,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
You know you live in a small town if you dated someone in high school only to find out that you're related to them.

You know you live in a small town if your town has a big parade or event for a movie star that was from there originally.

(And no, that's not Carlin's routine)

Back in the day, my family moved from Florida to Miami, OK. It was a small town then, and it's a small town now. My dad's parents (my grandparents) lived there, and we moved in with them. We lived with them for about 9 months, before moving to Missouri.

My grandpa was a housepainter, and when he was a younger man, was the life guard for the community pool. EVERYONE knew who he was. My grandma's ancestors were part of Oklahoma history, and related in some way or another to a fair chunk of the other residences.

Now...when I was 13, and freshly in 7th grade, new town, new state don't know anyone at all, when people would hear my name they'd always say you're so and so's granddaughter, right? "Well yes. Yes I am."

Made a new friend who lived down the street from my grandparents. A girl my age. She came over to our house, and I'm introducing her, and my uncle and my grandma say at the same time "Oh, you're the granddaughter of so and so, right?" "Yes" Turned out we were distant cousins. lol

Had a HUGE crush on a guy, looked to be full blood Native American. My parents and grandparents would tease me a little.

Found out, as an adult, getting into genealogy, I was probably related to him. I don't think I was ever a blip on his radar. lol

One day at school, we had a half day, which was a school assembly, because "one of our own" had won the football Heisman Award. One of the main drags got named after him. Steve Owens Boulevard.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:30 PM

720 posts, read 706,418 times
You know you live in a small town when there is no bank, when someone gets enough money, they leave.

You know you live in a small town when, the mailman delivers your mail on a John Deere tractor.

You know you live in a small town when, Everyone knows your business better than you do.

You know you live in a small town when, an Amber alert is put out for the neighbors pig that escaped.

You know you live in a small town when, all the county officials are from the same family.

You know you are from a small town when, you sign up for baseball at school and find there wasn't enough for a team.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living