Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 07:54 AM

123 posts, read 297,287 times

Advertisements

if you ok with cold winter, Maine land is cheap, low tax on farmland.
but i think you already found the answers for from your wish list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfarmer View Post
Our wish list -

We would like good soil for a garden, fruit and nut trees, chickens, perhaps a small number of beef cattle, perhaps sheep, goats, pigs. (Just starting to res
earch this so not sure what we will have.)

Virginia (West central)

We would like 4 real seasons. Not stinking hot summers or very long, cold winters.

Virginia (West central)

We would like to be close enough to a large town/city for the library, stores, etc. We want privacy - but not too remote. An hour or less to the above would be fine.

Virginia (West central)

We would like to be close to areas with strong demand for farmers markets.

Virginia (West central)

We want lots of beautiful countryside. Rolling hills would be great.

Virginia (West central)

We think we need/want at least 20 acres. We would like to spend less than $500K for the farm with a great farm house.

Virginia (West central)

At the moment we are thinking of the Charlottesville, VA area but think there are other states/towns that could meet our needs. We have not traveled a lot in the USA (I am not from the US) so hoping you could provide some suggestions for us to look into.

[I]some where north of C'ville will give access to large metro area.[/i]

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 08:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,327 times
i am planning to buy agricultural land...where i cud get two crops or more per year...what do u suggest..and plz tell about thw water availability under the ground.that should include the price as well...plz n thx.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:19 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kangkaran View Post
i am planning to buy agricultural land...where i cud get two crops or more per year...what do u suggest..and plz tell about thw water availability under the ground.that should include the price as well...plz n thx.
What? In english please. Text speak doesn't help. What are you thinking of growing? grains? Vegetables? help us out here. Do you understand the amount of money involved in farming? From the land, to fertilizer and weed control to equipment to plant, treat, harvest, transport etc...

Old 12-18-2012, 10:21 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
How about Kern County California particularly the Antelope Valley, and Tehachapi?

I took a vacation there not too long ago and drove around. It is beautiful, with rolling hills, mountains, valleys, and even deserts. Of course you would not go to the desert.

I drove through an area called stallion springs, and the view of the crops with the setting sun, and the mountains was spectacular.

I believe the weather is just right for you. It is also pretty close to SoCal. I am sure there is a high demand for small farm products.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:06 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,998,122 times
Quote:
My wife and I are thinking of buying a small farm to produce our own food and hopefully make an income from the crops and livestock (down the road). Raise our boys and live the "good life". Get out of the rat race and just have a nice life with the kids. I have a bit of farm experience and my wife grew up on a farm in Virginia (and her Dad is around to give advice - he was manager of a large cattle farm).

We are realistic in thinking that one of us will need a day job for the first few years. However, I work offshore with the oil companies and can pretty much live anywhere (as long as reasonably close to an airport).

So... my question - if you could have a farm anywhere in the US, where would you live/farm?

Our wish list -

We would like good soil for a garden, fruit and nut trees, chickens, perhaps a small number of beef cattle, perhaps sheep, goats, pigs. (Just starting to research this so not sure what we will have.)

We would like 4 real seasons. Not stinking hot summers or very long, cold winters.

We would like to be close enough to a large town/city for the library, stores, etc. We want privacy - but not too remote. An hour or less to the above would be fine.

We would like to be close to areas with strong demand for farmers markets.

We want lots of beautiful countryside. Rolling hills would be great.

We think we need/want at least 20 acres. We would like to spend less than $500K for the farm with a great farm house.

At the moment we are thinking of the Charlottesville, VA area but think there are other states/towns that could meet our needs. We have not traveled a lot in the USA (I am not from the US) so hoping you could provide some suggestions for us to look into.

Thank you!
California has one of the best soils in the country. If you start from Santa Barbara inland to Bakersfield, this is where serious farming is. Also, the Napa/ Sonoma Valley has excellent soil.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:55 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
California has one of the best soils in the country. If you start from Santa Barbara inland to Bakersfield, this is where serious farming is. Also, the Napa/ Sonoma Valley has excellent soil.

always amazes me how important a state california is when it comes to agriculture , i believe its one of the largest milk producing parts of the country ?

you tend to think of its as a highly urbanised region and nothing else

Old 01-10-2013, 06:37 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
always amazes me how important a state california is when it comes to agriculture , i believe its one of the largest milk producing parts of the country ?

you tend to think of its as a highly urbanised region and nothing else
If you can afford the *exorbitant* cost of the land and the oppressive taxes...

Old 01-17-2013, 02:53 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
Quote:
Any comments on farming in upstate NY?
Of course there is tons of dairy in upstate NY, and other farming.
You'll automatically need to restrict your crop options to the climate zone
and there are a few overlaying zones in upstate depending on where:
map: http://jmbamboo.com/wp-content/uploa...04/zonemap.jpg

There are a lot of tools and info from Cornell to help new farmers in NY:
Northeast Beginning Farmer Project | Serving new and aspiring farmers across the Northeast!
Don't plan on making any big decisions regarding crops until you have the soil
tested. Cornell will do it and inform you of the best crops for your land.
If indeed, you intend crop farming vs livestock.
reference:http://www.nass.usda.gov/Statistics_...York/index.asp

Old 01-24-2013, 08:37 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
Central Ill has thick rich soil, plenty of rain. Great place to farm, not so great to live.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:42 PM

2 posts, read 4,370 times
Default Missouri

North or central mo is good but in central missouri they have a problem with meth as much of missouri, your best bet would be with north missouri near iowa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living