Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 05:26 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

Hog vaccines.

Hog vaccines?

Yes, Hog vaccines!

So, what do you folks think about vaccines for hogs?

I have 4 sows that were weaned the end of September, and a boar who was weaned the end of October. They live together in the same pen. I hope that next spring I can turn them out into the a couple acres of forest, and by next winter, maybe see some more piglets running around.

But in the mean time, should I be thinking about shots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 07:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Gee forest, I was going to send you over to homesteading today (pig sub forum) to ask as there are more experts there but I see you already posted (ET1 SS)

Old 01-04-2012, 07:51 PM

My goodness somebody made a post just like mine!

How dare they

Old 01-05-2012, 09:19 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
I must stop reading so fast.

Thought the thread title was "Hog Vacancies." ???

Somebody renting space in a hog pen? Hogs wandering around with dazed looks in their little eyes? <sigh> Reality so so much more boring than my mind before consciousness kicks in fully for the day...

Old 01-05-2012, 06:40 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Hog vaccines.

Hog vaccines?

Yes, Hog vaccines!

So, what do you folks think about vaccines for hogs?

I have 4 sows that were weaned the end of September, and a boar who was weaned the end of October. They live together in the same pen. I hope that next spring I can turn them out into the a couple acres of forest, and by next winter, maybe see some more piglets running around.

But in the mean time, should I be thinking about shots?
Probably you should call a local vet, or maybe your local Ag office?

Old 01-11-2012, 08:52 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,926 times
Are your pigs sick? Seek out a vet if they are.

Pastured pigs "generally" go vaccine & medication free...unless they develop a sickness. Put those pigs outside and let them breath fresh air.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:08 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,689,689 times
I would definitely talk to my local Ag office or at least my local seed-n-feed folks. They can tell you what is normal -and when -and why.

Different states require different vaccines. Some are mere suggestions, and some specifically state circumstances; like if they are crowded together in a feedlot or are free-range, or have a high frequency of changing pen-mates.

As much as I wanted to avoid using any meds on my animals, the fact is that some are necessary (the old 'you can use natural means!' folks object; but they've never seen a cow covered so badly in flies that she cannot see or gets pinkeye!).

Our feed-n-seed folks are very helpful; they deal with folks with one or two animals all the way up to folks with thousands of animals. They can tell you cost-effective ways to prevent illnesses borne by insects or even soil, and give you the best timing for shots as well as oral treatments or drenches.

PS I'd be really really careful about turning them loose in the woods. Pigs do not recognize boundaries, they have been known to go right under an electrical fence because they are smart enough to realize that the brief shock is worth rooting up a neighbor's turnip patch. As a previous wild-boar hunter, I know many domesticated pigs "went wild" within 2 generations because their owners simply could not keep them corralled. Letting them breed out in the woods starts the cycle of 'wild pig' . Unless that is what you desire, your neighbors may end up with the pork you were planning on putting in your freezer.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:02 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,021,045 times
Please be mindful of turning hogs loose to breed willy nilly and not having adequate containment. Pigs are very fast reproducers, and large numbers will devestate the natural habitate of an area very quickly while getting out of control and ticking off local farmers. Nothing to be playing around with.

Vaccines: If the hogs aren't going to be interacting with hogs from other farms, or being housed at public places like fairgrounds, the threat of sickness is significantly reduced. However, anything that can be picked up from nature (ex: rabies) should be considered a threat and protected against. There are speculations that livestock owners don't necessarily have to vaccinate as often as we are told. Instead of doing a booster yearly (especially if not leaving the farm); for instance, may be prolonged to biyearly or every 3 years. I do not have any studies that support this; just talks on other forums.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:49 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Please be mindful of turning hogs loose to breed willy nilly and not having adequate containment. Pigs are very fast reproducers, and large numbers will devestate the natural habitate of an area very quickly while getting out of control and ticking off local farmers. Nothing to be playing around with.

Vaccines: If the hogs aren't going to be interacting with hogs from other farms, or being housed at public places like fairgrounds, the threat of sickness is significantly reduced. However, anything that can be picked up from nature (ex: rabies) should be considered a threat and protected against. There are speculations that livestock owners don't necessarily have to vaccinate as often as we are told. Instead of doing a booster yearly (especially if not leaving the farm); for instance, may be prolonged to biyearly or every 3 years. I do not have any studies that support this; just talks on other forums.
My question was going to be "Is it legal to pasture pigs???"

Old 01-16-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
My question was going to be "Is it legal to pasture pigs???"
Are you suggesting that it would be illegal anywhere?

I can not imagine that such would be illegal anywhere. I have seen pastured hogs in this area. However I can no do that.

We have found that in an open pasture the sun can bake the ground and to some degree kill pathogens. In such an open meadow diseases are fewer.

However in a forest setting, beneath the canopy the sunlight does not reach the ground to bake it in such a manner. So pathogens live longer. We have seen this with goats and sheep. Diseases that a neighboring pasture does not harbor, may be active beneath the dark canopy of the forest.

I have no pasture.

I have 150 acres of forest. So my management methods must differ slightly from someone who owned pasture land.

Recently I bought two blood lines of sows and a boar; from breeders who operate entirely within a forest. I really like the looks of those operations. So I am going to attempt it here.

I am not comfortable saying on this forum which diseases I have seen thriving in my forest. But so far I have seen two. So obviously I need to take some actions to manage those two pathogens. However I do not wish to be over-medicating either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living