Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 11:14 AM

548 posts, read 1,038,189 times

Advertisements

Should we put any thing in our plumbing to help the septic? Our septic drains into a lagoon so no lateral lines or whatever. The bath tub is not draining properly. Nothing is backing up but it takes the water a while to drain and is always close to the opening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 12:00 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
If the bath tub is the only thing that's not draining properly it's probably something in that pipe. If it were the septic tank everything in the house would be backing up. Time to get some Liquid Plumber.

To directly answer your question, they do sell products that are supposed to help break down solids in your septic tank, but I don't know how effective they are. I had septic for years and never had a problem that that kind of product would fix.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:27 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
Leave the Liquid Plumber in the bottle. Get a snake and clean out the drain. It could be as simple as hair build up.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:47 AM

You can do it either way, but keep in mind that while the snake will remove the clog itself it won't remove the soap residue buildup that created the clog in the first place. But at least you'll already have the snake so you can clean it out the next time.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:32 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
A septic system will last for many,many years if treated properly,no garbage disposal,no grease,no washing machine.Additives are unnecessary,do more harm than good.I have used it for over 20 years.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:29 AM

548 posts, read 1,038,189 times
No washing machine? How on earth would I wash my clothes. It is probably hair and grime built up. I was just afraid we couldn't put the same stuff in our tub drain because of the septic as we did when we were in town on city water.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:48 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiss View Post
Should we put any thing in our plumbing to help the septic? Our septic drains into a lagoon so no lateral lines or whatever. The bath tub is not draining properly. Nothing is backing up but it takes the water a while to drain and is always close to the opening.
You likely have a hair clog in the trap. One poster had a clever way of handling this a while back. They poured a bottle of Nair into the drain and let it sit for a few hours.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiss View Post
No washing machine? How on earth would I wash my clothes. It is probably hair and grime built up. I was just afraid we couldn't put the same stuff in our tub drain because of the septic as we did when we were in town on city water.
A washing machine wo'nt hurt. It will cause more water to discharge through your system, but unless you wash a lot of filthy, greasy clothes on a regular basis it won't deposit much in the way of solids.

I agree with passing on a garbage disposal and watching what you put down the drain.

Something else some people do is avoid flushing toilet paper. Most who do this toss their TP in a paper bag next to the toilet and burn it outside every day or so. I didn't do this myself, but a guy who runs a local septic service swears by it. I did make it a point not to flush paper that wasn't used for wiping, though. At any rate you should check the label to make sure it's safe for septic systems.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:30 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,500,862 times
I was 8 years old when we put indoor plumbing in our house in the country, and obviously, a septic system. When my mom sold the house some 30+ years later, there had never been any issues with that system. It had never been pumped or anything. There were 6 of us kids growing up in that house along with Mom & Dad. My dad was a bricklayer most of those years and we had about 8,000 laying hens. We got plenty dirty, so there was plenty of laundry.

Apparently the system had been designed properly when it was installed.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:35 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,631,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
I was 8 years old when we put indoor plumbing in our house in the country, and obviously, a septic system. When my mom sold the house some 30+ years later, there had never been any issues with that system. It had never been pumped or anything. There were 6 of us kids growing up in that house along with Mom & Dad. My dad was a bricklayer most of those years and we had about 8,000 laying hens. We got plenty dirty, so there was plenty of laundry.

Apparently the system had been designed properly when it was installed.
Something that is a rarity in these days of "wham, bam, thank you ma'am" hit-and-take-your-money-and-run incompetent contractors.....

OD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living