Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 07:01 PM

28 posts, read 102,546 times

Advertisements

My husband's favorite hobby is sailing, so we moved to Sarasota, FL 6 years ago. We like it here, but the cost of living outrageous. Also, we both grew up in small Southern towns and miss the small-town feel. We would like to relocate to a small town that is on a large lake that is sailable. We would preferably like to be within 2 hours of an ocean/gulf, but that is not a must. A low cost-of-living is VERY important to us. I am a teacher and my husband is a computer programmer (he can work remotely) so we are pretty portable. We have 2 preschoolers, so safety and a good (or at least decent) public school system is important. Oh, and I can't handle lots of snow or severe winters...no NE or upper Midwest.

Any ideas?....small-town, on a sailable lake, preferably within 2 hours of a coast, low cost-of-living, safe, good schools, easy on the snow

Thanks SO much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 07:12 PM

40 posts, read 30,546 times
north ga? clayton,tiger ga are nice towns its where i live. we have lake rabun near us

Old 10-19-2007, 07:34 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,983,376 times
If you can winter elsewhere or don't mind the winters, you probably won't find a more lake-filled state, in which there only about 4 cities, than Minnesota. The rest are suburbs or towns. Lakes abound here so much so that one is never too far from one. So you should probably find a multitude of options.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:32 AM

12 posts, read 43,440 times
East Texas. I'm native from there and Lake Sam Rayburn, the largest lake in TX is there just out of Lufkin or Nacogdoches, TX. If you want rural, there are smaller communities as well. Our home (rental now) is in Huntington, TX...excellent school system there. The coast is 2-3 hours away.

If you have any questions, feel free to send a DM.

Best wishes!

Old 02-21-2008, 07:24 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1111tmw View Post
My husband's favorite hobby is sailing, so we moved to Sarasota, FL 6 years ago. We like it here, but the cost of living outrageous. Also, we both grew up in small Southern towns and miss the small-town feel. We would like to relocate to a small town that is on a large lake that is sailable. We would preferably like to be within 2 hours of an ocean/gulf, but that is not a must. A low cost-of-living is VERY important to us. I am a teacher and my husband is a computer programmer (he can work remotely) so we are pretty portable. We have 2 preschoolers, so safety and a good (or at least decent) public school system is important. Oh, and I can't handle lots of snow or severe winters...no NE or upper Midwest.

Any ideas?....small-town, on a sailable lake, preferably within 2 hours of a coast, low cost-of-living, safe, good schools, easy on the snow

Thanks SO much!!
Why leave Florida? I live in Polk County, it's FULL of lakes here! We are in Lakeland, but there are a lot of smaller towns here. What is your criteria for low cost-of-living? We used to live in Sarasota and that place is WAY overrated and overhyped and OVERPRICED. We love our quality of life here, it's fabulous. And way less than 2 hrs to either coast!

I might suggest Winter Haven, that is the "Chain-of-Lakes" city, the main lakes in the town have navigable canals between them.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:42 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
If you can winter elsewhere or don't mind the winters, you probably won't find a more lake-filled state, in which there only about 4 cities, than Minnesota. The rest are suburbs or towns. Lakes abound here so much so that one is never too far from one. So you should probably find a multitude of options.
However, Oklahoma has more manmade lake shoreline than any other state. Most people are totally clueless of this fact. Decades ago many manmade lakes were built in response to the Dust Bowl. This is where many Oklahoma towns big and small get their water supply. Grove and Eufaula are among the most popular lake towns.

Much of eastern Oklahoma is beautiful, hilly, wooded country amongst the lakes. Winters don't get real cold. It won't snow more than several inches most winters and won't last on the ground for more than several days. And the cost of living is lower than in most other states.
The only weakness is that Oklahoma isn't as close as two hours to the gulf coast unless you chose to fly.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:15 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
I noticed last year there were many waterfront properties listed in tennessee. I'm not from there but lots were very affordable. I tried to figure out which lakes, but the map has them listed all over the state.
Tennessee State Map - Cities, Roads, Counties, Rivers, Lakes, Topo

Old 02-23-2008, 06:56 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Jordan Lake near Raleigh is nice and also Lake Norman area in NC.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:47 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Houghton Lake, MI is a town with a low cost of living that is a popular retirement spot. Winters are moderated by the Great Lakes so it really does not get too cold there.
For a warmer climate and low cost of living I would also look at the reservoirs in Missouri. The Lake of the Ozarks and Table Rock Lake are quite nice, but also more crowded during the summer.
The reservoirs in Oklahoma are pleasant, and those towns are closer to Tulsa, OK.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:39 AM

208 posts, read 872,089 times
Stockton Lake in SW Missouri-rare clearwater MO lake,taken care of by Corp of Engineers.The "party" crowd goes to Lake of the Ozarks or Tablerock Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living