Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 09:13 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,289,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbeet View Post
I believe you mean Gillespie County, Texas? There is no Gillespie county in South Dakota.
I know last year, Gillespie County, Texas was one of the best, but the below link for 2008 best counties doesn't concur with the information in the original post.

ProgressiveFarmer.com | Best Places To Live in Rural America 2008
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 07:29 AM

18,737 posts, read 33,447,125 times
I thought the corruption was there in the first place.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:18 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,209,678 times
For the record:

Overton County Tennessee is the worst possible place on the planet to live and almost as bad to drive through. The police will search out license plates from out of town and pull them over for no reason and ticket or jail them. 48% of the entire county sits on top a giant federal toxic landfill that oozes glowing green stinky stuff that only bot flies enjoy. The local population consist of numerous cannibal hillfolk who scour the hills and valleys looking from fresh prey and have a particular fondness for folks from Michigan, New York, New Jersey, and Florida and Buckeyes for dessert. It rains 261 days a year and sleets the rest. Property is steep, rocky, full of sticker bushes and is way over priced, not to mention the outrageous property taxes. Oh, and the gates of hell are behind the Buckner feed store next to the Dairy Dip, in which the occasional succubus, incubus, and run of the mill demon wander the streets at night.

Nothing to see here, move along, and be sure to visit Kentucky and Georgia which are both fine places to see.

This message brought to you by the Overton County Anti-chamber of commerce. thank you.

(parody)

Old 02-27-2008, 11:19 AM

26,435 posts, read 46,684,434 times
I tend to like Carroll County in New Hampshire. The population density is under 50 people per square mile, and you have many smaller towns with their own identity. The Conway area is growing faster and has more tourism related to the White Mountains. The communites near Lake Winnepesaukee are quite nice, and the smaller towns that are under 2000 people generally have affordable property taxes. High speed internet is common in most towns within the county. Overall, it would seem like a great place to retire.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:26 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,810,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I dont think it a good idea to put these rural counties and cities on a "Best Place list"

The one thing that makes these areas ideal for some is the fact they are rural.

It would attract unwanted amount of transplants.
Developer comes in offers a farmer a above decent price for his land
Commercial developers are sure to follow now you are stuck with bad roads, overcrowded schools .
Restrictions start go up on type of animals you have type of pet you have, taxes go up and that rural feel is washed away.
I can give an amen to that lot of californians came with lots of money to build a minimall complex you know the type with coffee shops and hanging flowers baskets, and suites, and feel good shops and condos combined. Right in our small downtown, and it is still empty.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 5,078 times
this is very usefull info i am a teacher and i need some help..

Old 04-12-2010, 07:34 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,563,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
For the record:

Overton County Tennessee is the worst possible place on the planet to live and almost as bad to drive through.
This message brought to you by the Overton County Anti-chamber of commerce. thank you.

(parody)
Ha! Love it. Can you come work for Hughes County, OK?

Old 04-13-2010, 12:54 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,304,664 times
I was surprised to see only one Pennsylvania county, but I realize they had to spread the love nationally. We actually have one county left where there's no traffic lights, and it's not Warren.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:12 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,181,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I dont think it a good idea to put these rural counties and cities on a "Best Place list"

The one thing that makes these areas ideal for some is the fact they are rural.

It would attract unwanted amount of transplants.
Developer comes in offers a farmer a above decent price for his land
Commercial developers are sure to follow now you are stuck with bad roads, overcrowded schools .
Restrictions start go up on type of animals you have type of pet you have, taxes go up and that rural feel is washed away.
I always did have a bad feeling about Progressive Farmer. Now I find out they're the ones telling New Yorkers and Californians which places to ruin next. That explains it.

I suspect the place I'm from is fairly urban compared to these counties though so who am I to talk.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:02 AM

167 posts, read 278,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
For the record:

Overton County Tennessee is the worst possible place on the planet to live and almost as bad to drive through. The police will search out license plates from out of town and pull them over for no reason and ticket or jail them. 48% of the entire county sits on top a giant federal toxic landfill that oozes glowing green stinky stuff that only bot flies enjoy. The local population consist of numerous cannibal hillfolk who scour the hills and valleys looking from fresh prey and have a particular fondness for folks from Michigan, New York, New Jersey, and Florida and Buckeyes for dessert. It rains 261 days a year and sleets the rest. Property is steep, rocky, full of sticker bushes and is way over priced, not to mention the outrageous property taxes. Oh, and the gates of hell are behind the Buckner feed store next to the Dairy Dip, in which the occasional succubus, incubus, and run of the mill demon wander the streets at night.

Nothing to see here, move along, and be sure to visit Kentucky and Georgia which are both fine places to see.

(parody)
Sounds like my kind of place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living