Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 10:14 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

If the period when farmers remove corn from stalks is called the harvest, what is it called when the stalks are chopped down?

I have a September photo and a November photo of the same field. In the September photo, the corn has already been harvested but the stalks are still up so that one is titled "After the Harvest." In the November photo the stalks have been cut down so that there are only pieces left close to the ground. Trying to figure out the end of this title "After the (what?)" for the November photo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 12:18 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Answer... If there are still some vertical stalks and the field is trampled,,,
What is after 'foraging / grazing' It's Common to run the cattle out in the field to do some 'gleaning'.

If it is uniformly knocked down...
What is after 'Disc'ing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Disc...J6qmiQKWooHQDw

Disc harrow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"They are also used to chop up old crops, such as cornstalks, to make the land easier to plow and to eliminate clogging in the plowing process"

nuther Corn crop question.... Is it really worth growing? It is really hard on your soils (nitrogen hog) and a pain to deal with the stalks. Lots of work (energy) for 2 good ears / stalk I quit gardening with it about 20 yrs ago. YMMV

It's the Market economy... (Yields not price) Multiply yield improvement x number of acres planted or (price) and see the revenues...
Some of my farmer friends have corn burning stoves... They don't get much use at today's prices.
A brief history of U.S. corn, in one chart

Thank goodness my car burns waste oil rather than ethanol (subject to gov impossed RES), and hopefully soon I will be burning algae fuel (non-food crop), and several harvests / yr

Let's see the PICS!!!

Old 06-28-2013, 06:07 AM

Thank you for your answer. I appreciate it. I do not want to post photos that I may use later in competition.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:43 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If the period when farmers remove corn from stalks is called the harvest, what is it called when the stalks are chopped down?

I have a September photo and a November photo of the same field. In the September photo, the corn has already been harvested but the stalks are still up so that one is titled "After the Harvest." In the November photo the stalks have been cut down so that there are only pieces left close to the ground. Trying to figure out the end of this title "After the (what?)" for the November photo.
In the second photo the stalks have probably been chopped and baled. The baled stalks are fed as roughage.

Stealth is tight in that if there are a few random stalks standing then cattle have probably been turned out in that field to clean it up. But based on your description I don't think they've been disced. If they had you wouldn't see stalks chopped off at the ground. Rather you would see a mixture of soil, stalks, and roots.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:05 AM

179 posts, read 248,097 times
...but most corn isn't harvested that way. Most corn is combined, so the stalk is cut and the ear removed (and corn shelled) as the product moves through the machine....

Old 07-17-2013, 08:07 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,947,979 times
Or you can call the November pic "Corn Stubble" if you aren't married to the "After..." theme.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:15 AM

In the second photo the corn stalks are beige (dead looking) not green and maybe only a foot off the ground and even trampled looking and they almost look burned. It was the end of November in Delaware. It was a stormy day, the clouds are very dark, there is a single tree with no leaves and a red barn.

I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:59 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,665,169 times
are these old pictures? Corn is harvested by hand, "picked", and then later the dried stalks are tied into bundles, "shocked".

Old 07-20-2013, 05:21 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
are these old pictures? Corn is harvested by hand, "picked", and then later the dried stalks are tied into bundles, "shocked".
We would shalk Corn and Cane when Green,leaving the ears of Corn on,let it dry and feed it this way to Cattle.Or with Corn we would turn Cattle and Hogs into it,the Cattle didn't do a Good job of digesting Corn but Hogs did ok.

brushrunner

Old 07-25-2013, 08:07 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLDad View Post
...but most corn isn't harvested that way. Most corn is combined, so the stalk is cut and the ear removed (and corn shelled) as the product moves through the machine....
Years ago this was a given, but modern combines - particularly John Deere models - will strip the ears while taking very little else. This minimizes the amount of chaff that runs through the machine and leaves more material behind to help control erosion and regenerate the soil or to cut and bail. Some also like to leave the stalks tall to control blowing snow in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living