Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 09:39 AM

3 posts, read 15,877 times

Advertisements

Me and my wife was watching a Christmas movie the other day and she asked me if it would be possible for a small mountain town portrayed in the movie could really exist. If so, would it be possible to live there when we "retire." By "retire", I mean when my grandmother passes and I receive my inheritance. I have done some research, but it is too overwhelming. The kind of town I am referring to would be small (less than 1,000). Everyone knows everyone and would not hesitate to help their fellow neighbor. During holidays, the whole town gathers and has a big event (parade, tree lighting, etc.). Small shops, like possibly a general store and a cafe, etc. Snow in the winter (my wife likes snow) and mild in the summer. Fairly reasonable cost of living. We don't like to live in town, but we like to be close in case we might need something. Everyone is polite and not crabby all the time. I know this is quite a stretch and I know that Hollywood exaggerates quite a bit, but I guess anything is possible. The closest thing I have found that fits this scenario is Woodstock, VT, but I'm sure that there are more similar to this. We like the "old timey" towns. The ones that look like they are still in the 1800's. If anyone has any ideas, please feel free to share! We need all the help we can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 09:48 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,216,690 times
Why would anyone living in such a town want you as a neighbor?
What have you got to offer to their community?

Old 11-08-2014, 10:09 AM

3 posts, read 15,877 times
I didn't know that I needed permission to live in a town like that, but if you must know, I am a "jack of all trades" kind of person. I am a small business owner, wood craftsman, carpenter, mechanic, and just about anything else. I don't mind helping other people whether they return the favor or not. We are a quiet, laid-back. easy going family and do not meddle in other people's business. We would just like a place to live where everyone is not rude and stuck on themselves and think they are better than everyone else. Is that too much to ask?

Old 11-08-2014, 10:15 AM

880 posts, read 2,346,438 times
Woodstock is really nice. I own some property in Pownal, ME that I plan to build a house on. This is my small town. 1600+/- people with a small state park in the middle. There are very few businesses in the town, but I will be centrally located to most major areas in Maine.

My folks live in Harrisville, NH. Very nice area with plenty of lakes and ponds with a few small shops.

I think upper New England is full of areas that meet your needs. It is simply a matter of finding which one fits best.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:01 AM

5,466 posts, read 8,186,337 times

Info: Halfway, Oregon | Hells Canyon, Oregon

"So what is Babette doing in this humble hamlet near Oregon's rugged border with Idaho? Enjoying something that she missed in her modeling years: peace and quiet. "The sky is blue. It's quiet. There's really nothing like this," says the 58-year-old Babette, who still speaks with a smoky German accent." Local News | Former fashion model plunges wholeheartedly into Halfway | Seattle Times Newspaper

Old 11-08-2014, 12:11 PM

880 posts, read 2,346,438 times
^^^^
That is an amazing view.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:36 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,451,297 times
Eureka Springs, Arkansas.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:39 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,451,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Why would anyone living in such a town want you as a neighbor?
What have you got to offer to their community?
Why would anyone in any town want YOU as a neighbor?
What do YOU have to offer to the community? (Besides being a jackass of course..)

Old 11-08-2014, 08:33 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times
Ouray Colorado

Old 11-08-2014, 09:35 PM

23,603 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Yes, small towns like that exist, but they are getting fewer and fewer because of kids having to go to area schools rather than being educated within the community. That breaks a lot of the social structures.

Woodstock is a show town. I can think of a dozen towns in Vermont more real than that, but in deference to them will not mention them.

R.L. Duffus's "The Williamstown Branch" is a book that you will want to read. It covers a small Vermont town in the late 1800s from the point of view of a small boy. It is very entertaining reading and gives a good overview of what was. Looks like you can read it online here:
Williamstown Branch | Fourscore

After reading that, recognize that four or five generations of townspeople dating back to those days may hold sway in your ideal town. The only ones who can influence and make change are those with money to burn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living