Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What kind of Transmission do you have on your tractor?
Hydrostatic 7 30.43%
Manual 15 65.22%
All others. 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 01:55 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,956,682 times

Advertisements

This is what we own

White 2-85 - Standard Manual
John Deere 4555 - Synchro Shift Manual
New Holland TR 87 (Combine Harverster) - Hydrostatic

We're not big farmers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 05:55 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
omg, what a neat thread . It is almost like a window to another world for this very suburban New Yorker.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-08-2008, 11:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Manual on the Farmall
Hydro on the Kubota
-Both types - on the Case 350 Crawler (shuttle + hydro + gearbox) I really like that
The - Bobcat and excavator have individual Hydro motors

prefer manual for farming operations (plowing, disking, mowing, cultivating) and hydro for scooting around tight spots and loader / tilling

baling and harvesting can be nice with hydro.

The hydro robs some power and probably fuel too.
the 24 spd elect shift was handy on the Case 465HP Quad I used during grain harvest in steep hills
Photo 5 of 184, Harvest ~ Pacific Northwest Style

Old 03-09-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
Manual on the Farmall
Hydro on the Kubota
-Both types - on the Case 350 Crawler (shuttle + hydro + gearbox) I really like that
The - Bobcat and excavator have individual Hydro motors

prefer manual for farming operations (plowing, disking, mowing, cultivating) and hydro for scooting around tight spots and loader / tilling

baling and harvesting can be nice with hydro.

The hydro robs some power and probably fuel too.
the 24 spd elect shift was handy on the Case 465HP Quad I used during grain harvest in steep hills
Photo 5 of 184, Harvest ~ Pacific Northwest Style

I know this is off topic, But If you don't mind me asking?....Whats it like to drive a "Hillside" combine?, Harvesting on a steep incline, Isn't really a problem That Aussie farmers face often.

Exactly how far can you tilt the machine? and Are there any rollovers, From people trying to harvest across extremely steep slopes, That are beyond the limits of the hydraulic leveling?

You often hear about hillside harvesting down here, But It's extremely intriquing to see them actually working

Thanks alot for the slide show

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 03-09-2008 at 11:48 AM..

Old 03-09-2008, 03:36 PM

462 posts, read 1,877,368 times
Manual. Six speed 1960 Massey Ferguson and 12 speed 1968 Brown.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
I know this is off topic, But If you don't mind me asking?....Whats it like to drive a "Hillside" combine?, Harvesting on a steep incline, ...Exactly how far can you tilt the machine? and Are there any rollovers, From people trying to harvest across extremely steep slopes, That are beyond the limits of the hydraulic leveling?...
on topic !! Hydrostatic tranny is very important and useful for steep tight areas with poor traction (whether combine or tractor)

~ 40 Deg incline max, yes they do get rolled, but very seldom, more often they get burnt due to a fire caused by any number of reasons. As usual going downhill with a full hopper on slick stubble is a hair raising experience. Turning on grade is tricky to avoid jamming header in the dirt It would make a nice artsy collection to assemble a photobook of 'sidehill' combines sitting around farm yards. (and as burnt 'monuments' in fields) They look pretty "forlorn" at times

OT... Kangaroofarmer come see this community event!! Lind's Weekend

(we should have Tractor safety as a topic, as it is easy to get into trouble. I've had 3 'hobby-farmer' neighbors killed, and one lost his legs... I recently got into a serious jam changing implements... ) Usually the biggest danger is loader work and irregular surfaces, or mowing on hillsides (hint: keep load low, ALWAYS have an escape plan, and a way to have implement / loader 'save' you.)

Old 03-11-2008, 05:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
A long time ago a friend nearly lost an arm trying to get a frozen PTO belt to start in an upstate New York winter. Never put any body part near moving or should be moving machinery.

Any of you folks using a four hoof power unit(s)?

Old 03-13-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post

~ 40 Deg incline max, yes they do get rolled, but very seldom, more often they get burnt due to a fire caused by any number of reasons. As usual going downhill with a full hopper on slick stubble is a hair raising experience. Turning on grade is tricky to avoid jamming header in the dirt It would make a nice artsy collection to assemble a photobook of 'sidehill' combines sitting around farm yards. (and as burnt 'monuments' in fields) They look pretty "forlorn" at times

OT... Kangaroofarmer come see this community event!! Lind's Weekend

Thanks for the interesting info about a harvest in that part of the world!

Hehe, I've never seen combine harvester racing before, Again it's not something we do.....Yeah, We Aussie's are a boring lot

Old 10-23-2020, 04:38 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
I've added a couple of tractors since first posting...

Ford Jubilee and 740 Row Crop and my brother has added a Deere M and Farmall Cub..

Old 10-25-2020, 06:15 PM

997 posts, read 850,844 times
My Kioti dk40 SE Is a hydrostatic trans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living