Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 07:47 AM

436 posts, read 302,193 times

Advertisements

Recently moved to a town of about 125 residents and 4-5 times that of part timers.
This is something I expected to encounter more of but the gossip here doesn't seem to be bad at all.
We are so blessed to be here.
Growing up in a small town, it seemed rampant.

What are your experiences in your small town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 04:36 PM

3,646 posts, read 3,781,694 times
I never heard gossip when I lived in a town about that size. Never heard any when I lived in towns of other sizes, either.

I do remember an odd woman coming up to me once and saying "Well, I suppose you heard all about me and (some dude). Well, blah, blah, blah." When she paused to take a breath, I responded, "No. I didn't and I do not want to hear it now."

I'm guessing it depends on the recipient.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:55 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
gossips and rumours are not confined to towns, they happen in the suburbs, in the cities, in the block of flats, or around the cooler, but like branDcalf, whether we hear it or not depends on the recipient.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:11 PM

1,665 posts, read 973,349 times
Where I lived, it was defined as a rumor mill. Well mostly. You have your good folks and your bad.

It seems as if the bad is more than the good. Many people spread rumors about everyone else. It's as if they're so miserable that they just want everyone else to be miserable. I used to be with someone that started trouble. I was young and didn't know what I was getting into. We had children together. Until one day I was just so sick of hearing her. I LITERALLY would witness her talking to one of her friends and would turn around and say the COMPLETE OPPOSITE to another, and usually it was about the one she talked to initially.

Yes, I was very disgusted. But I wanted to stay in there so I could be there for my children. Until I just have had enough. Her voice and actions would just sicken me. I left her, took her to court for visitations and to PAY child support. She then had the nerve to say she took me to court, I was a dead beat dad yadda yadda yadda.

Then funny thing happened. I proved her wrong with documentation to the same ones she would blast me to. She in turn lost all her credibility with her friends.

Well after a few years, she lied to the kids over and over about me. By this time I just didn't want to deal with it anymore. I gave up on trying to be in their lives. If only you would know of the Hell that she put me and my wife through.

Well now I'm in their lives. They're old enough to make their own decisions, but still live with her. Still enthralled in her bitter wrath.

I've said it over and over...

Mothers like her are reasons that there are "deadbeat dads". Just because we want to be in our children's lives but they will do everything in their power to keep us away.

I know I will get criticism for this but I don't care. Not all dads are like that. True...there are some sperm donors that refuse to man up and be a father.

Sorry this kinda went out there but it's kind of like a rumor mill that I was in but did not partake. We since moved out of town into a rural area. The only gossip we witness is a friendly neighborly chat and help each other working on our lands. That's the way things should be.

Old 12-02-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I never heard gossip when I lived in a town about that size. Never heard any when I lived in towns of other sizes, either.

I do remember an odd woman coming up to me once and saying "Well, I suppose you heard all about me and (some dude). Well, blah, blah, blah." When she paused to take a breath, I responded, "No. I didn't and I do not want to hear it now."

I'm guessing it depends on the recipient.

GReat to know! Although I cannot be on board regarding it depending on the recipeint.

We own land in a town we wanted to move to. The gossip in that town was horrific, no thank you. It is for sale

Now we own a house in a town of about the same small population 125 or so (and 5-6 times more vacation homes). The people in this town are happy. Not miserable gossips like the other.

Hey nothings perfect but this town seems as close to heaven as you can get. Just curious if anyone else was in a town similar and it appears yes! thx again

Old 12-02-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddhanks View Post
Where I lived, it was defined as a rumor mill. Well mostly. You have your good folks and your bad.

It seems as if the bad is more than the good. Many people spread rumors about everyone else. It's as if they're so miserable that they just want everyone else to be miserable. I used to be with someone that started trouble. I was young and didn't know what I was getting into. We had children together. Until one day I was just so sick of hearing her. I LITERALLY would witness her talking to one of her friends and would turn around and say the COMPLETE OPPOSITE to another, and usually it was about the one she talked to initially.

Yes, I was very disgusted. But I wanted to stay in there so I could be there for my children. Until I just have had enough. Her voice and actions would just sicken me. I left her, took her to court for visitations and to PAY child support. She then had the nerve to say she took me to court, I was a dead beat dad yadda yadda yadda.

Then funny thing happened. I proved her wrong with documentation to the same ones she would blast me to. She in turn lost all her credibility with her friends.

Well after a few years, she lied to the kids over and over about me. By this time I just didn't want to deal with it anymore. I gave up on trying to be in their lives. If only you would know of the Hell that she put me and my wife through.

Well now I'm in their lives. They're old enough to make their own decisions, but still live with her. Still enthralled in her bitter wrath.

I've said it over and over...

Mothers like her are reasons that there are "deadbeat dads". Just because we want to be in our children's lives but they will do everything in their power to keep us away.

I know I will get criticism for this but I don't care. Not all dads are like that. True...there are some sperm donors that refuse to man up and be a father.

Sorry this kinda went out there but it's kind of like a rumor mill that I was in but did not partake. We since moved out of town into a rural area. The only gossip we witness is a friendly neighborly chat and help each other working on our lands. That's the way things should be.
Very interesting post thank you. Sorry sorry you had to endure that. I said a prayer for you.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:17 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
If I hear a rumor about me I always say "yup" and agree with it, no matter what the rumor is. That tends to suck the wind out of the rumor mill.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:18 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
I grew up in a small town, pop. 600. The school was bad and the girls were the worst. Some of them were amazingly malicious, not many, but it only takes a few to create a social miasma that is hard to deal with. I think most of the adults got along well.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:00 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
I really don't think that small towns in generally have a higher percentage of gossips than larger cities, it's just that in a small town the likelihood that you will have interact regularly with the majority of the population is higher so you'll also be more likely to encounter the town gossips.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I really don't think that small towns in generally have a higher percentage of gossips than larger cities, it's just that in a small town the likelihood that you will have interact regularly with the majority of the population is higher so you'll also be more likely to encounter the town gossips.
yes I think you've hit the nail on the head
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living