Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 05:32 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,578,100 times

Advertisements

I get them in my yard daily or mostly nightly - big whitetails - move through into woods on the other side of the road. I don't mind them, although they do eat all my budding plants, but my wife absolutely hates them because my son came down with lime disease which probably came from a deer tick.

Nowadays my county allows bow-hunting in the woods and it has significantly reduced the population so the sightings are less frequent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 08:07 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,599,549 times
Scientists in the state of Minnesota have been studying the decline of it's moose population for a decade or so. Recently results were shared which clarified that most moose deaths have been caused directly or indirectly by BRAIN WORM, which is carried by white tail deer. And now there's a debate between hunters who want deer to shoot and people who want fewer white tails in the area in order to maintain a healthy moose population. Sorry, I don't understand the hunters' side - why would you want to kill and feed to your family a mammal that carries brain worm?

Yes, yes, yes, humans supposedly don't get the same parasites as deer, and blah, blah, cooking temperatures. But, seriously - BRAIN WORM!!!!

Now, because of all the deer in my woods, I'm sure I'm going to get brain worm.

Moose Brain Worm Moose Sickness or Parelaphostrongylosis

Old 02-18-2018, 12:12 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
I do and I don't . One day I had the lawn chair on the back 40 just something we have always called our huge lot behind our house . I had fallen asleep out there to wake up and see a baby deer touching my hand . I did not move a muscle and she quietly backed away but then I saw mama and boy was she big and I thought Oh dear LOrd please don't let her think I'm hurting her baby . The lil one took off when she saw mama but boy that was so cool and frightening at the same time . I worry for the deer around here cause we have hunters who live here and I don't like it one bit hunting that is . There is no reason for it because we have grocery stores for meat and such .

Old 02-18-2018, 02:40 PM

45,341 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Scientists in the state of Minnesota have been studying the decline of it's moose population for a decade or so. Recently results were shared which clarified that most moose deaths have been caused directly or indirectly by BRAIN WORM, which is carried by white tail deer. And now there's a debate between hunters who want deer to shoot and people who want fewer white tails in the area in order to maintain a healthy moose population. Sorry, I don't understand the hunters' side - why would you want to kill and feed to your family a mammal that carries brain worm?

Yes, yes, yes, humans supposedly don't get the same parasites as deer, and blah, blah, cooking temperatures. But, seriously - BRAIN WORM!!!!

Now, because of all the deer in my woods, I'm sure I'm going to get brain worm.

Moose Brain Worm Moose Sickness or Parelaphostrongylosis
Because typically Americans don't eat brain or organ meat.

People wanting fewer deer and hunters wanting deer to shoot isn't mutually exclusive. The reality is that there are more deer today than there were when Jamestown was founded. In many areas they have overtaken the carrying capacity of their habitat and that's when you start seeing disease crop up, as well as increased vehicle strikes and starvation/runting issues.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:59 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,127,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Because typically Americans don't eat brain or organ meat.

People wanting fewer deer and hunters wanting deer to shoot isn't mutually exclusive. The reality is that there are more deer today than there were when Jamestown was founded. In many areas they have overtaken the carrying capacity of their habitat and that's when you start seeing disease crop up, as well as increased vehicle strikes and starvation/runting issues.
CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease) can lead to the irradiation of our deer herds: Chronic Wasting Disease. It is slowly making it's way into our State as well as elsewhere in the Nation. Once the land has been contaminated; I do not know if it can ever be repopulated?

Approximately twenty years ago I was talking to the head of our Game Commission. I asked him if PA ever found CWD in deer what would the do. Without hesitation he immediately said they would cull the herds. The prions, that transmit the disease stay in the soil for a very, very, long time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_wasting_disease.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
deer population is way out of control... feed store sells thousands of bags / week of deer corn (corn is not good for deer health).

Deer are bonus business to the local auto body shops.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:37 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,694,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
deer population is way out of control... feed store sells thousands of bags / week of deer corn (corn is not good for deer health).

Deer are bonus business to the local auto body shops.
The ravens patiently perch on trees right next to the highway. During some times of year, they don’t have to wait real long before a big feast gets splatted before them.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:48 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
Do you like to have deer around your house?
Yes, because they are beautiful animals.

No, because they need to learn to stay away from humans, because humans are bad news.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:08 AM

20,025 posts, read 20,835,571 times
I like having the deer and all of the wildlife on my property.
Have a herd of 5 that live pretty much exclusively on my property.
See them everyday. They're not doing any harm.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:44 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I worry for the deer around here cause we have hunters who live here and I don't like it one bit hunting that is . There is no reason for it because we have grocery stores for meat and such .
There absolutely is a reason for hunting that has nothing to do with the availability of groceries. Most parts of this country have virtually no natural predators for deer in the wild. Hunters take the place of those natural predators to help thin the herd and prevent overpopulation.

I don't hunt myself and don't care for the attitudes and actions of some hunters, but deer hunting is an absolute necessity in my area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living