Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 09:19 PM

37,539 posts, read 61,590,960 times

Advertisements

The Q&A section says nothing about permits.

Quote:
Q. How do I find out where my well should be placed on my property?

A: Each state and local governments have rules and regulations regarding distances from property lines, septic tanks, and/or other hazardous areas that might harm your water. Locally, you're required to be 100 ft. from the septic tank and 100 ft. from septic field.
Locally where?

The Q&A page does not say anything about Maine that I can find.

Look, you insist that all states require a permit. Fine.

I never saw it, but a permit may have existed, they may have filed one after they were done. I simply do not know.

The well driller had no idea of where my septic was going, as my septic system location was not shown to him. It's location and elevation are determined by a nail the soil engineer put in a tree. A 'map' showing the septic location as it relates to that tree, was included with my building permit application. The well driller had no idea of that, and the state does not know where that tree is either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 11:40 PM

654 posts, read 3,460,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
All states require permits to drill water wells. I am sure septic systems too.
In my case we have our water provided from a local town, so i dont have a water well, but I do have septic on my property. And yes you are correct, for my area they do require a permit to install a new septic system, which is $200 in my county.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:45 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,411,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

Locally where?

I never saw it, but a permit may have existed, they may have filed one after they were done. I simply do not know.

The well driller had no idea of where my septic was going, as my septic system location was not shown to him. It's location and elevation are determined by a nail the soil engineer put in a tree. A 'map' showing the septic location as it relates to that tree, was included with my building permit application. The well driller had no idea of that, and the state does not know where that tree is either.
That is what is put on the permit, septic not installed. Nearest source of contamination could be a stream, or the neighbors septic, even if it is miles away, or none. The permit goes by property tax numbers. The log also has more than depth.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:48 AM

Look at it this way, no driller in their right mind would have filed a log without a permit. They would admit to breaking a rule.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

Locally where?

This driller is in Bangor Maine.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:09 PM

37,539 posts, read 61,590,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
This driller is in Bangor Maine.
Yes, it does look like he is in the city.

Maine has counties which are on paper but don't really perform any function.

Otherwise all of Maine is dividing into 'township's. Some 'Township's are incorporated; and have offices and employees and inspectors, and therefor a tax base that is from double to as high as quadruple higher than others.

The majority of Maine's 'townships' are 'unorganized' [52% in fact of Maine is unorganized]. No town offices, no local city employees, no town clerks, and no inspectors. These UTs do things directly with the state offices: building permits, zoning, road maintenance, etc. Therefore Maine's UTs enjoy a much lower tax base.

52% of Maine has one tax assessor, and she does not leave her office.

All UT building permits are funneled through one office; a desk for EPA, a desk for DEP, a desk for .....

Rarely does any UT permit get approved in less than 6 months. We just don't pay high enough taxes to facilitate a faster turn-around.

Within the city limits of the bigger cities [like Bangor], their town offices and employees, manage to find all sorts of regulations that they require folks to comply with.

It is the difference between urban and rural.

In the big city life is heavily regulated and taxed.

In the rural areas, we simply do not pay enough taxes, to employ enough inspectors, to crawl up our behinds, to see if we are doing everything within full compliance with all 'national' building codes and whatnot.

I do not doubt for a second that "life in the big city" is all about high taxes, and complying with dozens of code enforcement officers.

I own an apartment building in a big city. I have owned numerous apartment buildings, in various big cities during my working career. Alas now I am retired and I live rurally.

BTW, within the city limits of Bangor, they do not allow private wells, nor well drilling. As everyone is required to be on city water. To pay the city more money, ie the higher cost-of-living of that 'life in the big city'.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:55 PM

624 posts, read 1,163,199 times
Default Bike riding and running my team of huskies

Hardly any traffic on the secondary road I live on. I can ride my bike even at night with out worrying about getting run over.

And I exercise my Siberian huskies by hooking them up to a scooter and letting them both pull me and get their exercise.

Another favorite thing is very few neighbors...

Old 07-19-2008, 10:28 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,679,801 times
O ....... I hate it! And it is not even that rual here...but compared to where I grew up in Jersey this area is redneck, low life heaven!

Old 07-19-2008, 11:21 AM

1,309 posts, read 4,198,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
O ....... I hate it! And it is not even that rual here...but compared to where I grew up in Jersey this area is redneck, low life heaven!
Are you in Spring Hill/Brooksville? A lot of NY/NJ transplants here. Either you love it or hate it!

Old 07-27-2008, 08:56 PM

5 posts, read 13,534 times
Where would you say is the best rural area? Anything near Franklin, NH?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living