Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2018, 01:28 PM

405 posts, read 257,748 times

Advertisements

I've become interested, lately, in the culture of old Japan, especially small town life. There is a wealth of information on the culture on Youtube.

Apart from the incredibly serene lifestyle, what strikes me is that almost everyone is old. It is a universal thing for young people to 'flee' to cities, but now it's at a critical stage. I've seen similar documentaries from Russia, where there are hundreds of abandoned, and nearly abandoned small towns. In Newfoundland, where the government is buying out small town residents because it is too expensive to continue providing utility, road and education services for just a handful of residents. There are dozens of small, coastal towns that will soon be empty. The US is no different. I can't imagine what it will be like when the world is covered with slowly disintegrating ghost towns. Will they, one day be demolished and the land be left to overgrow?

I think a lot of us (myself included) would love to spend our last years in the tranquility of rural life, but when/if the current generation decides to go back to small town life, will there be any small towns left to go back to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 02:22 AM

16,674 posts, read 17,442,775 times
I apologise in that I cannot comment on Japan, but in your post you did mention other Countries.

It's not dissimilar here in SW France, though not to the same extent.

I get the feeling that many youngsters move away from the small villages and small towns that are in large numbers round here.

There are young families here in our village, and ironically the school in the next village is being kept open as there are enough ex British children to keep the critical mass high enough. Our school village closed last month.

The area is heavily dependent on agriculture and tourism, though the latter is highly seasonal.

However there are enough people around to make it an exceptionally great place to live, and I actually prefer it out of the high season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living