Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 05:02 AM

204 posts, read 418,298 times

Advertisements

I have a cabin way up in the mountains.A snakeskin has been found inside on the floor.We have seen timber rattlers in the area many years ago,black snakes,and copperheads.I personally have not been there to see it yet,so i really only know what i was told,it was left there for me to see.My question is,what should I do now,is it safe??People will be going there soon for weekends.Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 06:36 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,423,827 times
Last I checked, molted snake skins pose no health risk.

Oh, I suppose you mean you're freaked out about the fact that there's now evidence of what has probably been the case for years already, that snakes have been in the cabin. It's no less, and no more, safe now than it was before the molting was discovered. If you want to address it, you'll need to spend some time and effort sealing up the property and removing the food source (mice most likely, especially if you leave food there). They're only inside because of food, or Possibly water/warmth (so check on leaks and heat sources too). It's not a big deal though.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:38 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
I'd have a contractor review the cabin, roof, flooring etc for entryways for snakes and close off those that are found...ick to finding a timber rattler in your kitchen.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:54 AM

204 posts, read 418,298 times
Thanks guys,there is no water in the cabin whatsoever,and we heat with a wood stove (roughing it),no food either,not even for mice,we have seen droppings though.This place is rather old. I just asking about maybe a den under the floor,attic? Any good way to repel them.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:19 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,670 times
It is really tough to get rid of snakes once they move in and like their surroundings

If they are Black Snakes , hopefully there isn't a bazillion of them nesting somewhere because they are good neighbors. I could tell you a story about a damp, old farmhouse basement that would keep you awake for a week but I won't, lol

Black Snakes can out hunt the viper snakes because they can move faster.

If the skin is clear with no markings, it's likely a Black Snake. Even if there are markings on the skin, it could still be a Rat snake.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:39 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwhit View Post
Thanks guys,there is no water in the cabin whatsoever,and we heat with a wood stove (roughing it),no food either,not even for mice,we have seen droppings though.This place is rather old. I just asking about maybe a den under the floor,attic? Any good way to repel them.

Repel?

Find where they are coming in and block...

Old 08-31-2018, 02:59 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwhit View Post
I have a cabin way up in the mountains.A snakeskin has been found inside on the floor.We have seen timber rattlers in the area many years ago,black snakes,and copperheads.I personally have not been there to see it yet,so i really only know what i was told,it was left there for me to see.My question is,what should I do now,is it safe??People will be going there soon for weekends.Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
I'd get the skin identified so I'd know if it was from a non-venomous snake or not. If it's a non-venomous species no worries about an occasional snake getting indoors. If there's any sort of nature center or local park you might be able to take the skin to them for identification. A long slender-shaped skin with a sharp pointed tail and head that is not wider than the neck is probably from a non-venomous snake. Rattlers and copperheads will be shorter, stockier, with blunt broad heads noticeably wider then the neck. Now whether the cabin area might be safe or not, who knows. You already know there can be rattlers or copperheads around, so you'd need to take the usual precautions when out and about on the property.

Get the cabin inspected for loose siding, burrows or exterior holes at the foundation that could allow snakes to get inside. If the building is heated slightly even when vacant it may attract snakes looking for a winter shelter. You'd want to close those to keep rodents and squirrels out anyway. It would give you more peace of mind about snakes, though a garter snake can get through a pretty small hole.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:10 AM

7,382 posts, read 12,675,598 times
Here's something else to consider: I don't know if mice in the mountains of WVA carry the hanta virus, but you can probably check that online. If they do, then be prepared to disinfect the cabin every spring (or every visit). Don't vacuum or sweep up the droppings--wet them down with a disinfectant and wipe them up. Use a face mask, and gloves! We also have a mountain cabin, in North Idaho, and we try to be vigilant.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:28 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,130,024 times
Like Parnassia said.. I'd find out what type of snake the skin belonged to. We had a shedding snake for many yrs in our basement (lived in the forest) and turned out it was a rat snake. Good to have because of the amount of rodents that came in from the woods when there was a weather turn.
I also had a rattler in our shop. Froze me in my tracks as it was big enough to move furniture when it went away from me. It definitely warned me first tho. I ended up setting off bug bombs out there because at the least I figured it would make it inhospitable for it. After that, hubby went thru with a fine toothed comb and it was gone.
We had plenty of copperheads also.

Then we had a mating pair of King Snakes move in and they were there for several yrs... the other snakes left. Unfortuntely, a large wild cat killed one. We considered having someone find us some more and bringing them to our property (but my husband passed and I moved).

King snakes are your friend, they will keep the poisonous ones away.

You should be able to get a pest control company to come out and check the place out if it's not terribly out of the way.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:19 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,770,332 times
Take a broom handle and knock around in all the back corners, under furniture, etc. If there's a rattlesnake around you'll know pretty quick.

Also keep in mind that a rattlesnake in real life doesn't really sound like what you hear on movies. Not as loud as you might expect. With the smaller snakes, it almost sounds like a bug rattling around. I'm sure you can find them on youtube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living