Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 11:15 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Even worse are the ones who get politically involved and decide to run for office. You should see our local letters to the editor now that the dreaded election season is upon is...I feel like I'm reading elementary school 'he said/she said' tattles, and the candidates who aren't "local" get massive amounts of pushback because of it.
We are going through the same thing here, although we aren’t rural anymore. The election next week has 2 candidates running. One has been in council for 26 years, and one has been here for 4 years. The newbie has a huge online presence and is a good communicator, and the oldie hasn’t ever let the community know what’s going on. Guess who will win? There are also 6 council seats open. Same issue with new and old.

As for us, we moved here from the country. Before that, we had lived in the suburbs and everyone got along…so I don’t think the problem is us. After we bought our acreage from a real lunatic, he sold to city people, and the other side of us also sold to city people. As hard as we tried, we could not get along with either of them. They were extremely territorial, and controlling. Like, one side would always hell at our landscaping kids about cutting a blade of grass belonging to them. The other side did not want my son deer hunting on our own property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2023, 01:54 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,016,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya700 View Post
I'm in a small Wyoming town. Seems the COVID refugees are getting bored and starting to leave. And we got one of the worst winters on record last year could be part of it. Lots of houses came on the market past 6 months but at around 50% more than precovid. They aren't selling - out of reach to the local workforce and the interest rates increase doesn't help.
I'm praying for a truly miserable winter this year for the same reason. A lot of people can't handle snow and being cooped up for several months. Some of our local businesses even close during the winter because it's so slow.

May their former yoga studios and latte stands call them back...for good.

Old 11-05-2023, 02:04 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
... A lot of people can't handle snow and being cooped up for several months.
I have never understood the concept of folks feeling 'cooped up' in winteh. I suspect that folks who hate to go outside, likely do not go outside much in summeh eitheh.

Old 11-05-2023, 02:52 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have never understood the concept of folks feeling 'cooped up' in winteh. I suspect that folks who hate to go outside, likely do not go outside much in summeh eitheh.
Ayuh. Nothen like a quiet wnteh walk among snow-laden pine trees.

Old 11-08-2023, 05:24 PM

20,058 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Quote:
I'm praying for a truly miserable winter this year for the same reason. A lot of people can't handle snow and being cooped up for several months. Some of our local businesses even close during the winter because it's so slow.

May their former yoga studios and latte stands call them back...for good.
Amen.

Old 11-08-2023, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Ayuh. Nothen like a quiet wnteh walk among snow-laden pine trees.
I go out on walks more in the winter than in summer. Fewer people saying "hello" or "good morning" every 50 feet along the paths and trails. I try to avoid eye contact with oncoming walkers, but some don't seem to get the message.

Old 11-08-2023, 08:25 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Quote:
I go out on walks more in the winter than in summer. Fewer people saying "hello" or "good morning" every 50 feet along the paths and trails. I try to avoid eye contact with oncoming walkers, but some don't seem to get the message.
Well, that's where you and I differ, lol. I love the friendliness of the rural town where I am now living compared to the avoid-eye-contact-and-don't-speak attitude of the suburbs where I lived before moving here!

Old 11-08-2023, 08:45 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
I live in a rural area. I do not understand how anyone could go for a walk and bump into other people every 50 feet of a trail.

Houses are a mile apart from one another.

To see other people you must travel into a city.

Old 11-08-2023, 09:34 PM

^^I live in a small town in a rural county, so do most of my walking in town along the multi use paths. I was exaggerating a bit with the 50 feet, but not by much. A high number of retirees live here, which fits the demographic of the trail greeters I often encounter.

You sound ultra-rural. I'd be better suited to live like that but it's not in the cards for me right now.

Old 11-08-2023, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I love the friendliness of the rural town where I am now living compared to the avoid-eye-contact-and-don't-speak attitude of the suburbs where I lived before moving here!
I do appreciate the friendliness, as opposed to alternatives such as getting mugged or harassed as one might experience in bigger cities. I've just never been a fan of the ubiquitous trail greeting, and it's everywhere. Being out on a nature trail usually means wanting to get away from life and humanity for a while, without having to say hello to every single stranger you encounter. Nobody says hello if you pass them on a sidewalk in town, anywhere.

Same thing happens while driving on rural roads - getting a wave or the one finger salute (NOT the middle finger) from oncoming drivers. If I know the other person or it's a neighbor, sure I'll wave. But every single car? It's strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living