Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 03:13 PM

264 posts, read 200,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
T Why on earth do our tractors have to be, also??

Money for one, the govt for two.

In the case of larger John Deere tractors, you never really 'own' the whole thing. The software is John Deere's forever, and you'll pay for that in terms of service needs should you buy the hardware.

The govt requiring better emissions has brought on computers for the same reason the car industry went to them. Any new diesel tractor you buy has to meet Tier 4 standards, which is a lot more complex than the old simple diesel engines of the past....and it will get worse with time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 03:13 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

It's bad enough that our cars are computerized. Why on earth do our tractors have to be, also??
Because "They" want to be sure of the death of the Shade Tree Mechanic

Old 05-14-2019, 05:42 PM

64 posts, read 44,735 times
OP. You are an "orchard farmer", but have to ask on City-Data about tractors? When I was growing up in a rural community, ten year old kids knew all the tractor brands and models. I think this is another fake post.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:49 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breoul View Post
OP. You are an "orchard farmer", but have to ask on City-Data about tractors? When I was growing up in a rural community, ten year old kids knew all the tractor brands and models. I think this is another fake post.
<sigh>. I hope not --- I hate when Myself and others get taken trying to be helpful

The OP still has only made one post --------

Old 05-14-2019, 08:02 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,083,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breoul View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy dad 69 View Post
I am an orchard farmer. Im looking to buy any tractor new or old. Money doesnt matter. I need something that plants, mows, and harvests. I want it to last a while and to be powerful.
Definitely a fake post, to 'bank' an alias to have ready when one of his current ones gets banned.

'Orchard farmer', LOL. Orchard means trees. Plant and harvest fruit trees with a tractor? What, plant the trees, mow them all down to harvest the fruit and plant new ones the next Spring? I don't think he knows much about trees and fruit. Sure, he could mow the grass around the trees, though.

Wants to buy a tractor and money is no object? Then hie thee down to the tractor store and get one, they'll be happy to sell you the most powerful one they've got. Get your fanny over to the punctuation store and buy some apostrophes while you're at it, they're cheap enough.

"I want it to last a while and to be powerful."

Clearly doesn't know anything about tractors. Definitely not an 'orchard farmer'. 'yummy dad 69'...I'll bet this kid isn't even old enough to drive, getting his kicks with a sexually suggestive alias.

Why do the letters 'A', 'O', and 'L' keep coming to mind?

Old 05-14-2019, 10:11 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
I sure liked the old, 1950's-era Ford tractor my boss had. We built houses from the ground up and I learned how to dig excavations for foundations, sidewalks and driveways, with the blade. I plowed and harrowed a big field he planted in oats, until it was time to build on it. Other times, I'd pull a heavy dragging-sled around a field, which would level off the bumps and gather up truckloads of rocks. Once, on my time off, he let me borrow it and I dug a duckpond in the middle of one of our pastures, using nothing but the blade.

But using a tractor is dangerous, if you don't follow the basic safety rules. Keep it away from ditches or any place one of the wheels could slide or drop. And they will turn over if you give them half a chance, with you underneath.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:56 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,360,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
And they will turn over if you give them half a chance, with you underneath.
The old 1950's-era Ford tractors without roll-over-protection surely would and did.

And I wonder how many farmers died when their shirt sleeve or pants leg caught up in the n-series PTO system that had to be running if you were using the lift?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living