Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 01:50 PM

445 posts, read 1,984,959 times

Advertisements

We have a 2 bedroom house that has a septic system. We had the leach field replaced in 2009 when we bought the house, under the advice of the septic inspector who said it was faulty. We starting having problems shortly after. Apparently the area has a high water table, so whenever it rains heavy the tanks fills and backflows towards the house. The drain field is getting saturated and back flowing. I've had septic companies come out and say the drain field needs replacement. I don't believe that because that won't solve a high water table. I believe that the drain field is getting saturated from the ground all around it. I was wondering if a perimeter drain around the drain field would divert the water away from the field. Has anyone done this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 03:31 PM

3,830 posts, read 1,385,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa162 View Post
.... Apparently the area has a high water table, so whenever it rains heavy the tanks fills and backflows towards the house. The drain field is getting saturated and back flowing. ....?

may have to switch/upgrade to an aerobic system.

Old 05-22-2019, 03:41 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,128,212 times
I am not sure you're going to french drain yourself out of a high water table. That's something that is bigger than you are.

Often times around here, such environmental factors often result in more engineered systems, either with a mounded sand filter or timed release pumps or something.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:50 PM

456 posts, read 348,955 times
I agree that a high water table is really difficult to fix. Do you have an issue with an aerobic system? I know it's going to cost money to put it in, but you won't have the back flow issues again.

Our septic died three days after we moved into the house due to back flow issues the seller hid from us. We had no choice but to go with an aerobic system, but we've had no problems since then.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:01 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
There are some engineered solutions for things like that, including mound systems, the Presby septic system, and others, but I strongly suspect you will be required to have an engineer involved. In many states, you have what would be considered a failed system and many states require permits for the replacement. Where is your drinking water coming from? It could be contaminated by this situation. There isn't a real fix for a high water table, you have to design a system that will accommodate that high water table by raising the system up and designing it to not contaminate the ground water.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numsgal View Post
I agree that a high water table is really difficult to fix. Do you have an issue with an aerobic system? I know it's going to cost money to put it in, but you won't have the back flow issues again.

Our septic died three days after we moved into the house due to back flow issues the seller hid from us. We had no choice but to go with an aerobic system, but we've had no problems since then.
Thanks for the reply. I know how an aerobic system works. Doesn't the treated effluent also get discharged to a drainfield? Wouldn't a high water table still affect that? Also, what can I expect to pay for Aerobic treatment vs mound?

Old 05-23-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I know how an aerobic system works. Doesn't the treated effluent also get discharged to a drainfield? Wouldn't a high water table still affect that? Also, what can I expect to pay for Aerobic treatment vs mound?
It varies by location, but effluent from aerobic system is often(can be) pumped/sprayed above surface (like irrigation) since it is mostly pathogen free. Excess may make a muddy mess, but it won't be a health-hazard like (non-aerobic) septic discharge.

costs? you'll have to get local quotes; some contractors can even utilize existing tank (adding just the two new stage tanks) to convert system (highly dependent on local rules, etc).

Ongoing costs for chlorine,air-pump electricity (and replacement every 4 yrs or so), and maintenance/testing fees (annual contract may be required) can be a real bummer though....

Is there any topology to the property/area? Sometimes redirecting home rain-gutters to discharge Far Away from the leach-field area (to help keep it from getting saturated/overwhelmed) can help. Also making sure leach-field area is even/flat and sloping (not 'bowl' shaped) so that sudden rainfall runs off rather than puddles.

Are you rural? Dig a hole about 50 feet from leach-line - a few feet down; does it fill with water? if so, put a auto-sump-pump in the hole (with liner, etc) and pump the water off somewhere where you won't get in trouble - ymmv.....

Also reducing waste-water (low-flush toilets, efficient shower-heads & faucet aerators), and possibly even re-directing Clothes-washer water, can help reduce load on system.

Last edited by CCCyou; 05-23-2019 at 01:19 PM..

Old 05-23-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
It varies by location, but effluent from aerobic system is often(can be) pumped/sprayed above surface (like irrigation) since it is mostly pathogen free. Excess may make a muddy mess, but it won't be a health-hazard like (non-aerobic) septic discharge.

costs? you'll have to get local quotes; some contractors can even utilize existing tank (adding just the two new stage tanks) to convert system (highly dependent on local rules, etc).

Ongoing costs for chlorine,air-pump electricity (and replacement every 4 yrs or so), and maintenance/testing fees (annual contract may be required) can be a real bummer though....

Is there any topology to the property/area? Sometimes redirecting home rain-gutters to discharge Far Away from the leach-field area (to help keep it from getting saturated/overwhelmed) can help. Also making sure leach-field area is even/flat and sloping (not 'bowl' shaped) so that sudden rainfall runs off rather than puddles.

Are you rural? Dig a hole about 50 feet from leach-line - a few feet down; does it fill with water? if so, put a auto-sump-pump in the hole (with liner, etc) and pump the water off somewhere where you won't get in trouble - ymmv.....

Also reducing waste-water (low-flush toilets, efficient shower-heads & faucet aerators), and possibly even re-directing Clothes-washer water, can help reduce load on system.
We actually reduce use before and certainly after. The tank level is normal before a storm and keeps rising the more it rains. I have to believe its coming from the soil around the leach field.Downspouts are away from the leach field. A few days after the rain, if its dry weather, the tank is back to normal level. Where exactly would a sump pump go? After the leach field? On the side of the field? I am in a farmland/woodland area of New Jersey . I have a couple of neighbors but not right on top of me.

Old 05-23-2019, 03:21 PM

456 posts, read 348,955 times
Quote:

Our effluent gets discharged by three different sprinklers. The high water table isn't a problem in those areas as they have better drainage than our leach field had.

We paid $7K for a completely new aerobic system: four tanks and three sprinklers. We could have used a smaller tank and two sprinklers, but thought at the time we'd have four people living in the house instead of two. Our annual fee is $20 per year as DH took the class to do the annual and quarterly certification on our system. I don't know what the cost is to hire someone to do it.

ETA: You will also use chlorine or bleach to treat your discharge from the sprinklers to kill all the bacteria. So, while I wouldn't take a shower in it, the water is supposed to be clean.

Last edited by numsgal; 05-23-2019 at 03:38 PM..

Old 05-23-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
We actually reduce use before and certainly after. The tank level is normal before a storm and keeps rising the more it rains. I have to believe its coming from the soil around the leach field.Downspouts are away from the leach field. A few days after the rain, if its dry weather, the tank is back to normal level. Where exactly would a sump pump go? After the leach field? On the side of the field? I am in a farmland/woodland area of New Jersey . I have a couple of neighbors but not right on top of me.
Pump to Downhill somewhere. After x amount of feet from leach line soil bacteria should have neutralized pathogens - you don’t want to directly pump/discharge raw leachline water to surface anywhere - just lower nearby water table so leachline can do its thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living