Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2019, 09:29 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,328,176 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I post in this section from time to time and always linger here so figured I could ask a simple question-

Does anyone own a pole barn home? If so, how do you like it, what was the cost to build/finish, any issues, etc...I know there are a lot of variables that will play into price but I can't even find a general range online. We will be buying a few acres in the next few months, and have been pondering more & more about building a pole barn style home, it would be in Indiana.

If this info helps answer some questions- If we go this route, we would build a 3bd 2bath home, probably around 1800-2200 square feet. It would be 2 story to have a loft type master bedroom & bathroom. Normal drywall interior, etc...Main level would have the kitchen, living room, 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, and dining area, with large wood-log fireplace. Would also have a 2 car garage and a decent size covered front porch.

As far as the construction, we (as in myself & with help) would be able to do some of the work, but would have to sub some out as well. Again, I know what I'm asking isn't easy but any help appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 09:39 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,425,421 times
Are you asking about what's now being coined as "barndominiums"?

https://www.sparefoot.com/self-stora...-barndominium/

Link just so we're all on the same page when referring to things. Anyway, I've put up my share of pre-fab metal structures (carports, RV parking, tractor awning, some of those partially or fully enclosed), and it's easy enough. As with everything, the devil is in the prep-work, getting the site ready. Sloppy work there leads to frustration when tossing up the pre-fab. I've only helped with a red-iron (vs thin-wall tube that's the cheapest option) pre-fab, but it strikes me as more or less the same when excepting the actual structure pieces.

Turning one of those into a living space? That'd be some specialized finish work. Running wiring, plumbing and duckwork, spray-foam of all of that, then drywall and finish work. Wouldn't be any different than working with a metal-stud build.

Can't help with specifics having never done it, just putting together various projects I have done and "guestimating" the gaps.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:00 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,328,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Are you asking about what's now being coined as "barndominiums"?

https://www.sparefoot.com/self-stora...-barndominium/

Link just so we're all on the same page when referring to things. Anyway, I've put up my share of pre-fab metal structures (carports, RV parking, tractor awning, some of those partially or fully enclosed), and it's easy enough. As with everything, the devil is in the prep-work, getting the site ready. Sloppy work there leads to frustration when tossing up the pre-fab. I've only helped with a red-iron (vs thin-wall tube that's the cheapest option) pre-fab, but it strikes me as more or less the same when excepting the actual structure pieces.

Turning one of those into a living space? That'd be some specialized finish work. Running wiring, plumbing and duckwork, spray-foam of all of that, then drywall and finish work. Wouldn't be any different than working with a metal-stud build.

Can't help with specifics having never done it, just putting together various projects I have done and "guestimating" the gaps.
Barndominium is a fancy way of saying it, but yes that's correct!

My thoughts were similar to yours in regards to the process, and with us being able to take on some of the work, it will help the price point.

As far as site prep, you're definitely correct. I won't be doing the digging/excavating and such, but I plan on clearing the trees out before hand as needed, and the easier things of that nature.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:41 PM

69 posts, read 344,595 times
Posting to follow as my husband and I are visiting with Morton Builders in July to get more details.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:00 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,790,352 times
You might want to take a look through Sand Creek Post & Beam's site. They offer a lot of different styles. They're located in Wayne, Nebraska. They've been very helpful. I'm not sure we'll end up purchasing from them, but I have to say that I'm impressed with their customer service.

My husband and I are also building a pole building home in the next year. We plan to have the tricky stuff done professionally- electric, plumbing, ductwork, etc. I'd like to find supplies at Habitat for Humanity ReStores as much as possible. I'm an artist, so I'll be doing all finishes and can get very creative with making things work on a limited budget. My husband is an engineer, so he's handy, thankfully. Trying to do this without breaking the bank.

If you're on Pinterest, there is a LOT of information on "barndominiums" there. Endless plans and information. Might be worth taking a look. There are even house plans that you can adapt to make work for you.

I'd imagine that if you can find local craftspeople to help you with the fireplace building and other items, it could affect the costs. And if you have a builder, they can get discounts on flooring and fixtures, etc.

Good luck... hope it all works out well for you.

Old 07-20-2019, 05:08 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,202,887 times
Will the structure sit on a slab with no basement, or will the poles extend upward with the floor built above the ground (setting on poles)?

I added on a 2nd story porch that sits on poles. The poles do not go into the ground. They sit on concrete footings, so I can replace the poles if needed (if they rot). The ridge is supported and the roof on the porch is open inside without trusses. All of the load rests on the poles and I added windows and walls later, but the walls are non weight bearing. The floor joists rest on the poles as well and it is open underneath.

A few years later, I added a separate addition that sits on a slab with poles in the wall that support the ridge, so there are no trusses, just rafters. The outer walls do bear weight, but the ridge sits on poles for the weight. If you don't dig and pour a basement, there will be savings. If you pour a slab, you'll have some cost there. If you set it all on poles, including the floor, you may have very little dirt work and there would be savings. I wouldn't run the poles directly into the ground though.

It is easier, in my opinion, for one person (working alone mostly) to build a pole structure, particularly if trusses are not used. Many pole barn structures do use trusses though. Without trusses, I assembled the roof without help. Really did not need much help in building the entire structure.

For the electrical, you have to drill through the poles to run the wiring through. The second story is tricky because you need tall poles. I had to make a pole for the center porch ridge by lapping 2 separate posts together. I needed a post about 25 feet tall for the center ridge.

I would think that the overall cost would be similar to regular construction and any substantial cost savings would relate to the slab or basement savings (what you do there).

The addition I added, was built as an open structure inside initially. I needed to get it closed in and finished on the outside before winter. I then added the interior walls after that. Pole construction does add some flexibility and it is fun to build.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:55 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times
Had a friend build one several years ago that was part house and part horse barn. Said he liked it so he could check on his horses in the middle of the night, even if it's pouring down rain, and not have to get wet. And he said there has never been any horse "aroma" wafting through the house part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living