Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 02:51 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times

Advertisements

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...ntent=20190818

Published today, regarding emergency medical care in rural communities.

This is in Ft. Scott, KS, whose hospital closed in December, and the man had to be transported here, to Kansas City, MO, 90 miles away.

Something similar happened when my mom had an occipital lobe stroke in April in my rural hometown area. Only my mom lucked out and lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 06:06 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
Slightly off topic but on the medical issue - Horace Kephart in "Our Southern Highlanders" wrote that when he moved in amongst the hillbillies, he was immediately considered the local "doctor" because he had "book learnin'". Of course hillbillies don't sue for malpractice, or didn't at the time. And they paid him with various trade goods - a ham, a couple of chickens, once they got to know him and that he was "cool" with 'shine - maybe a mason jar of that.

Not sure how that could be generalized to the current situation - maybe just that EMTs will be the de-facto medical care until they can haul you to a "real" hospital.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:40 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,079,365 times
Loss of traditional jobs in both farming and industry, due to globalization, big pharmaceutical companies, big highly-mechanized agriculture, and the moving of American factories overseas

Two best-selling recent books

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillbilly_Elegy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methland

In the rural south where my family originated, Prisons now seem to be a major industry.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:47 PM

99 posts, read 70,353 times
I am personally quite thankful for my ability to work remotely. This is a trend you will be seeing more and more frequently in many industries as time marches on, and what gives people like myself the ability to flee the cities. I would not have been given this opportunity even 5 years ago. I live in an unincorporated community far from town. My closet neighbor is over a mile away. While agriculture comprises the biggest chunk of those who live in my general vicinity, other tech workers are the next largest group.

What we are seeing now is that suburbs and exurbs are starting to extend farther and farther out from population centers. What this means is eventually people like myself who prefer to avoid these types of communities will eventually have to move farther and farther away to escape them. Being unincorporated also means that while I may be rural as of this moment, 5 years from now, or hell even 5 minutes from now, I could have a strip mall and a McDonald’s set up shop across the highway.

People sometimes ask me why I choose to live away from the masses and it’s really hard for me to articulate other than to say it’s where I am most comfortable. I grew up in a small town before college and grad school and as much as I thought I hated it and wanted something different, after working for a few years in the corporate world in the Chicago suburbs I could not get away from it fast enough to suit me.

The benefits on my well being of being out here are endless, and far overshadow the drawbacks imho. My cost of living is a mere fraction of what it was in the city. I can hunt, fish, ride four wheelers, shoot my guns, and enjoy the beautiful countryside on my large property at will with zero interference. People tend to police themselves out here, or each other when necessary. I also don’t have to endure the sociopathic political ideologues and pretentious and materialistic clowns who tend to congregate near the cities. I can do what I want, when I want, for the most part. To me, this is what true freedom entails.

This type of living arrangement would certainly not be for everyone, but for me it’s like paradise. I wake up every morning with an ear to ear smile on my face, and isn’t that what life is supposed to be all about ?

Last edited by TheEnigmaMachine; 08-20-2019 at 10:04 PM..

Old 08-21-2019, 06:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Not sure how that could be generalized to the current situation - maybe just that EMTs will be the de-facto medical care until they can haul you to a "real" hospital.
This is largely how it is. One challenge, here, is that in these communities, the EMS are largely, if not totally, volunteer. This does not denote lack of training... the personnel complete legitimate training. But it is reality that these emergency personnel are... people with a day job. They generally rely on mutual aid from other area volunteer departments, but this still affects response times.

Old 08-25-2019, 05:11 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Small towns have a hard time paying for infrastructure upgrades, like sewer treatment plants and water systems. Old water pipes are leaking, old sewer lines are collapsing, and nobody has the money to fix them. Water and sewer service in a small town can often be over $130/month, a big bill in a low wage area.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Small towns have a hard time paying for infrastructure upgrades, like sewer treatment plants and water systems. Old water pipes are leaking, old sewer lines are collapsing, and nobody has the money to fix them. Water and sewer service in a small town can often be over $130/month, a big bill in a low wage area.
My water and sewer bill per month is 0$.

It's called a private well and a septic system.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:16 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnigmaMachine View Post
My water and sewer bill per month is 0$.

It's called a private well and a septic system.
When was the last time you replaced your well pump? Had the septic system pumped?

TANSTAAFL

Old 08-26-2019, 01:30 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:
That doesn't sound like small towns here.

Our small towns and infrastructures are not that old, not so old that old pipes are leaking or old sewers collapsing. If anything, people are mostly still on individual systems and any town or city system is relatively new and growing fast. Some of our little towns are growing faster than people want.

We're on an individual system here at home... We replaced a well pump last year for around a thousand bucks. It had been there decades.... maybe original back to 1985.

Our septic costs about $300-500 to pump every 5 years or so. Ours is the old gravity type. Some of the fancier systems require more monitoring.

If people have the option of staying on individual systems, they almost always choose to stay on their septic.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
When was the last time you replaced your well pump? Had the septic system pumped?

TANSTAAFL
I recently moved in, so I am super familiar with the service records on both as this was provided to me by the seller. Pump was new in 2017 and was last serviced in May of this year. Septic was last serviced in July of 2018.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living