Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 04:44 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,202,217 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a good and reliable rural internet service provider? I currently have Mercury Wireless, but it is pretty slow and unreliable. Also, they are starting to administrative fees to their bills to cover their costs of processing payments. The download speed is often only about about 1 Mbps, but can be as high as 2.5.

There must be a Midwest rural internet provider that gets 10-15 Mbps. I am willing to pay more if faster and more reliable. Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 06:12 AM

456 posts, read 348,955 times
I don't know if it's available in your area, but we use Hughes Net. It's consistently good speed.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:41 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numsgal View Post
I don't know if it's available in your area, but we use Hughes Net. It's consistently good speed.
Only problem with Hughes is the latency. If you can put up with 800ms delay's it is fine other than the data caps.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:00 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,423,827 times
It's all 100% dependent on your location. My folks, 15 miles from the closest town (pop.900) in the middle of Montana have fiber to their home. My in-laws, an hour south of Atlanta in Georgia, have some of the slowest DSL I've seen in the past 20 years (seriously, I had faster DSL when I first bought it in the late 1990's), when it works. Their only other options are Hughes/Satellite (massive latency, tiny data caps) and LTE (low reliability in their area, tiny data caps).

I live 1/2 mile up from my in-laws on the same driveway and have cable with 200/20 for $50/month.

For your local options, check to see if there are any WISP's (line of sight wireless ISP), or look into going full-on LTE if you have access. Might need to curb some use, but if you use T-mobile you get a whole lot of video streaming that's zero-rated (free).

Generally speaking, it's one of the prices you pay for living rural. If good connectivity is important enough to you, you'll move where the service is available. If quality of life is more important, you'll learn to make do with the service that's available.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:15 AM

14,494 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Location is everything on this.... as said above :-) ... it depends what’s locally available.

When we first moved to our current place the only Internet we could get was satellite Internet, and we chose Hughes net. My biggest complaint with the service is their billing structure with the usage caps, or “Fair access policy“. I would have been OK with the speed if not for the usage limitations, which as far as I know are still plaguing all satellite Internet services. I don’t understand why Internet is this way we have satellite television that is unlimited and works like a dream.

If you have decent cellular service there are some wireless cellular Internet plans that might be worth looking into. I honestly think that might be the wave of the future…. It has the potential to be a lot faster and better than wires to everybody’s house. But at this point it’s location dependent.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:54 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times
I use a service that resells AT&T 4g. No data cap and when the tower isn't screwed up it's pretty fast. I use it for my business so I ALSO have a 10gb plan with Verizon. Between the two it is pretty reliable.

I can't wait until the low earth orbit sat system is up and running; I don't care what it costs I'm in. I would like to live in an even more rural location than I am now and the only thing holding me back is reliable internet.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:21 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,202,217 times
My Mercury Wireless download speed tonight is .54 Mbps and the upload speed is .01 Mbps. The latency starts out at 463. I am purchasing the speed package of 5 Mbps. In the morning, early, it may be as high as 2.5. The weather is perfect out. If I use my phone as a hot spot, it is quite a bit faster. I often do this when Mercury Wireless is down.

I will look for other local options. I just saw a sign advertising fast rural internet and will call search for local options.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
What speed is your HotSpot?

There is a company out of IL doing rural BB through various 4G carriers. (But they probably got bought out be carriers who don't want to serve rural.

I got a SIM modem from them that can split bands and towers. But it can still be DEAD slow (especially on sunny days, which I have few)

check these (get referrals, as 3rd party carriers are GREAT at getting your business and GONE when you have an issue... no coverage)
Not sure of the following (I'm again without coverage in (3) rural USA locations.
https://unlimitedville.com/
https://www.infiniteltedata.com/unli...hotspot-rural/
https://simnetwireless.com/
https://www.broadbandqwireless.com/rural

Old 09-14-2019, 08:35 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,130,024 times
We had nothing available to us until Hughesnet... which we had when it started out as Primestar. But we weren't happy with the speed or down time. We had it for 18 yrs and then finally a Verizon tower upgraded and we were able to get a decent signal so we got the verizon hotspot whatever it is package. Ended up a little cheaper than the satellite since we had our cell phones with them (they were the ONLY service that came in where we lived). It was faster and didn't go out when it rained or the trees blew around. No cable or DSL was available to us.

Old 09-14-2019, 10:07 AM

23,602 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Viasat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living