Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 05:50 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,670 times

Advertisements

You have been given some good options for the sketchy description and intended use you have given, lol

"Several acres" is by whose definition. Coming from a farm background, that is under ten acres to me. The lay of the land, size of rocks, will also factor into the size/type of equipment you can get onto the property.

Also, do you plan to eventually move onto the property or keep as a recreational piece to just go have fun and get away from the world? Either way, don't forget that what you chop and mow down today, doesn't stay chopped down -- especially in Georgia with their heat and humidity.

We are in southern Middle Tennessee, and privy to Louisiana-style heat humidity. We have 25 acres. Depending on how much rain, we have bushhogged the pastures up to five times during cutting season, with the average being three times. Mowing -- well one of the horses has all of the yard plus some pasture, and we still can't keep up with the summer mowing. We can hardly keep up with the fence rows.

Your plan to hire high school kids to help is terrific in theory --- good luck finding someone who wants to sweat and get dirt under their fingernails doing hard labor. We actually had some kid once tell us, he would rather sweat at the McDonalds window so he could meet chicks.

You might be better off looking for hard working farm kids that have work ethic and are always willing to sweat to make a dollar.

The young men we can depend on to help us with the heavy stuff we can't do anymore, work full time for DH at a car dealership. They like the extra money and they like being outside. We also pay them more than menial labor should cost but they don't take breaks, stay off their cell phones, and do the required tasks the way they are supposed to be done.

You might consider, buying a work pickup truck (as opposed to a fancy one that talks back to you all the time), a decent sized flat bed trailer, and invest in a few pieces of equipment you can haul back and forth. From what you describe, it sounds as if your new property was kept up with, at some point. Once you get bigger equipment in there to clean up, buying smaller pieces to maintain it, would be to your advantage. Unless you aren't able to do minor equipment repair yourself, then always renting equipment might be the better option.

Best wishes in your investment - it sounds as if you still want to let nature have as much as possible without it being overrun by worthless thrashing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 10:12 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
any decent walk behind brush cutter will make mince-meat out of any saplings <2" and can be rented for less than $50 provided you have a way to transport it. As easy to use as a walk-behind lawn mower and offers the benefit of mowing in tight quarters to clear out all of your woody brush and leaving behind a pleasant wood lot of larger trees.

https://www.unitedrentals.com/market...lf-propelled#/

Old 12-10-2019, 09:22 PM

1,564 posts, read 2,797,909 times
The BC26 family of brush cutters by Billy Goat will indeed cut up to 2” saplings if it there is enough power/weight to ride over that sapling. Often there is not. I once spent three miserable days behind one of these machines and discovered it had a rudimentary steering system which could absolutely whip an operator in short order. You could not make me get behind one again.

The higher horsepower DR rough terrain cutters would probably be a better choice if you want to use a walk-behind brush cutter. I have never used one but a buddy of mine has. He says they do a great job, even over very rough ground. They can be rented at some DR dealers.

In either case, I would recommend you carry a chainsaw along to cut the tougher saplings. Good luck.

Old 12-11-2019, 05:49 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,070,847 times
You have to be careful with cutting green, 1/2" or so diameter saplings above ground level and then driving on the area, they can become tire killers, I've seen the go right through car tires. We had an acre cleared once with a guy using what looked like a Skil saw blade mounted to a weed whacker (Craftsman used to sell them, I'm sure you can rent them) for light brush, and can cut very close to the ground. Personally, I'd do it in the winter to avoid having to deal with all the green. Be very careful about poison ivy, oak and sumac, the "cloud" that a Bushhog or similar makes will put a lot of bad stuff into the air, and when it lands on you, Oh, Boy. I'd personally leave all the trees over 6" or so, you can always come back and take them out after you have the brush cleared, and trees make a lot much prettier. You may also be able to get a wood-burning neighbor willing to take down anything above three inches for free, providing he gets to keep the firewood. The question you have to ask yourself when renting equipment and/or services is, what's more important to you, your money or your time?

Old 01-03-2020, 03:55 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,245,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
I am soon closing on several acres of wooded land here in Southern Georgia.
It is all natural woods of oaks, pines, hickory and other native trees; there are some animal trails, a small old road that runs through it and a couple of small openings that have overgrown brush that has encroached them.
There is also a transmission powerline across the back of the property that is kept up (mowed) by the power company
I would like to the road,trails and select areas of the underbrush cleared out and want to do it as affordably as possible.
My internet searches have revealed either renting a walk behind brush mower or renting a ride in skid steer with a brush mower attachment.
Does anyone have any other suggestions/recommendations for this?

I don't know about southern Ga but I know of several places where the new owners came in during the winter and thought they were cutting brush but instead they cut down the Dogwoods; apple trees old pear tree etc etc etc. One guy cut down a tree where 40 Buzzards roosted. Clear cut his lot and never came back.

The worst thing that can be done is sometimes giving a guy a chain saw.

Old 01-04-2020, 08:38 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,202,887 times
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/f...040650046.html

A service like this might be good and you would have to be there and give good instructions while they are working on it. You then would not have to worry about hauling rental equipment. This type of machinery might get it done in one day.

Old 01-04-2020, 06:44 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,245,912 times
I hate stobs. Dangerous ground to walk on. Girdle anything you can and one chop with a machete even if you not all the way through will kill most stuff... On some stuff just use a chain and truck/tractor to pull the 3-4" stuff.

Many birds and animals use those big dead trees.

Old 01-04-2020, 09:25 PM

408 posts, read 259,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I love renting heavy equipment. Since I’ve owned my property I’ve rented a skid steer, an excavator, a dozer, a front loader, an 80 foot boom lift and a backhoe. Every time the equipment rental place drops off “my” new machine for the weekend, I have a huge grin on my face, have a great time and get lots of work done . Enjoy.
I would love this too.

Old 01-05-2020, 02:00 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
The brush is generally pretty light- most between 1/4-1/2 in diameter or smaller.
there are also sapplings but they are not big either and the grassy stuff is generally less than a foot or two in height.
I have watched youtube videos and I don't want to pay the price for a forestry mulcher.
I can use my chainsaw for any small junk trees and to clear stuff growning near select trees. Can later rent a chipper to shred small stuff such as branches and sapplings.
Does this sound reasonable plan?
Pretty small stuff, ... but several acres...so (if safe / flat) I recommend a neighbor with a tractor and Flail Mower (Chops / mulch). If steep... Tracked bobcat or excavator with a flail mower. You should be able to do it in 4-6 hrs with a tractor ($50/hr) . By hand... 2-3 yrs (BTDT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/f...040650046.html

A service like this might be good and you would have to be there and give good instructions while they are working on it. You then would not have to worry about hauling rental equipment. This type of machinery might get it done in one day.
I have this equipment and you can do ~ 5 acres / day if under 2" max. and not too steep, and you don't find a hidden metal well casing or junk car in the bushes to ruin $1000 of carbine teeth in 5 seconds. $200 / hr + 'move-in fee' if under 8 hrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deoge View Post
I would love this too.
Yes, renting is more fun than owning high $ equipment. I am reminded of that daily by my book-keeper. (and checkbook, and time behind the wrenches). Especially when I see my passive investments outstrip my business income (Why am I doing this?)

Old 01-05-2020, 02:09 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,630,750 times
I wouldn’t use a walk behind brush hog. Remember, you’ve probably got snakes living there now. Hire someone you’ll be better off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living