Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 11:46 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,655,583 times

Advertisements

Or if you live where there is a rental tool place, rent a chainsaw. Though how sharp chain will be....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 10:32 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,070,847 times
When using an ax, steel toe boots are a must, and eye protection is also recommended. A few years ago, the neighbor had a sugar maple that was growing on the property line (two, 10" diameter trunks growing from the same base, maybe twenty five or thirty feet tall). She gave me permission to cut it down, and I did everything smaller than about six inch diameter with a simple tree saw and pruning sheers over the course of a few days. A lot of it was growing amidst the power lines, and it was a little technical getting it down, I used a lot of pull ropes with gravity weights, and small cuts to make sure it came down safely. When it came to the "trunks" I broke down and bought a small electric chain saw and made quick work of it, I would have had arms like Popeye by the time I finished the job with a hand saw. And I was in my late 50's at the time, a young guy should be able to go through a forest faster than a pack of beavers. But do it safely!

Old 12-24-2019, 04:43 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,373,945 times
If you have money to buy something like an Uprooter, consider doing so. The Weed Wrench - which this is the successor of - is just a miracle of a tool. Using lever mechanics, you can pull saplings OUT, roots and all. It's extremely satisfying and fun to use!

https://www.theuprooter.com/tool-features/

Old 12-24-2019, 04:56 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,670 times
I see some folks did not thoroughly read the OP’s entire post, when they mentioned chainsaws

The young person is just that - 17. The father has a chainsaw but the young person doesn’t know how to run it. That’s a good thing as I’ve seen bad accidents with experienced users.

So getting back to manual cutting suggestions - OP is there any chance your parents would invest in a bowsaw? I’m in agreement with those who suggested a bowsaw - it works very well and is safe.

As yet someone else mentioned, hauling the cut stuff to the burn pile and getting the root out might be the bigger deal

Since you would be cutting small diameter trees, I’m wondering if a mix of salt, white vinegar, and Dawn dish soap might work, to kill the roots, but it would have to be very strong. We tried it this year on the driveway weeds and along the back yard chain link fence, and it works.

I can’t remember the recipe - I’d have to go digging, if that might interest you

P.S. You’re a Good Kid to want to do this for your mom.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:18 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Sawzall..... use it all the time for cutting smaller stuff up to about 4 inches. If I was cutting a lot of stuff that big I'd get the chainsaw out but for handful of cuts it's not worth gassing the chainsaw. I once used it to cut something about 8 inches across but only because I didn't have the chainsaw.

As far as the stumps go leave about 4 or 5 feet on top. Attach nylon strap to the top and other end to hitch on the truck. Give it some gas and let off the gas, let the weight of the truck do the work. Might take while but stuff that is 2 to 3 inches around can usually be yanked out of the ground with enough nudges.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:46 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,640,902 times
For small saplings and branches, I’ve settled on using a Fiskars Pull Saw, fast and easy. It’s similar to this one but not a “pro” model as this says. I think I paid less than $20 for mine...but that was some time ago.

https://www.fiskars.com/en-us/garden...aw-394960-1001

Old 12-24-2019, 09:51 AM

1,056 posts, read 726,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
The young person is just that - 17.
I said I'd be 17 in the coming spring. But the point still holds. And thanks!

Old 12-24-2019, 01:21 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,869,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
I intend to restore some territory on my mom's/uncle's land to the River Cane brakes. I know of a patch of forest where most of the trees are quite small (~20ft tall), but I was slow to cut them when preparing for our pine grove despite similarly small size. The river cane is native rather than invasive, and things like Center Hill Lake and urban sprawl have destroyed many of the original canebrakes; plus, I like the look of them and know mom does too.

Any tips on how to speed up the cutting process for small trees? Thanks for any help!

Side note: Most trees here are hardwoods (ugh!), and these are no exception despite their small size. However, if I encounter a standalone bigger tree in the area I'll probably leave it; they'd be more dangerous and even slower to cut, I don't want to release more CO2 by cutting a massive tree, and I'd still rather our bamboo forest look more like the bamboo jungles of Minecraft than a complete can thicket.

P.S.: I'll be 17 in a few months and still have no idea how to work a chainsaw. Dad's busy and doesn't have the best one anyways.
If these are "trash trees" instead of cutting them down use a "Farmers Jack" and a length of chain or cable to pull them up by the roots. YouTube has several videos showing just how to go about it. The following video shows how to pull a stump. Same thing for a small tree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC2gPvvoBnY

Hardwood and fruit trees should be nurtured. They can be very useful given time.

I grew up on the prairies of CO/KS/NE and trees are revered. Just remember it takes a few seconds to destroy a tree that may have taken decades or even centuries to grow.

Old 12-25-2019, 06:25 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,225,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
I intend to restore some territory on my mom's/uncle's land to the River Cane brakes. I know of a patch of forest where most of the trees are quite small (~20ft tall), but I was slow to cut them when preparing for our pine grove despite similarly small size. The river cane is native rather than invasive, and things like Center Hill Lake and urban sprawl have destroyed many of the original canebrakes; plus, I like the look of them and know mom does too.

Any tips on how to speed up the cutting process for small trees? Thanks for any help!

Side note: Most trees here are hardwoods (ugh!), and these are no exception despite their small size. However, if I encounter a standalone bigger tree in the area I'll probably leave it; they'd be more dangerous and even slower to cut, I don't want to release more CO2 by cutting a massive tree, and I'd still rather our bamboo forest look more like the bamboo jungles of Minecraft than a complete can thicket.

P.S.: I'll be 17 in a few months and still have no idea how to work a chainsaw. Dad's busy and doesn't have the best one anyways.

A cheap chainsaw can be dangerous and refilling the oil tank is a pain. For less than $150 you can buy a pretty good sawsall. I've used Makita and Dewalt and I am happy with them. You can buy blades that are up to 12 inches long and will take apart a small tree in seconds. If the trees are a long distance from a power source, I recommend a battery operated sawsall. If you go with a corded model and have a generator you are only limited to the length of the extension cord.

Don't forget eye protection. Longer blades can snap and go in any direction at speed.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:55 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,059,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Sawzall..... use it all the time for cutting smaller stuff up to about 4 inches. If I was cutting a lot of stuff that big I'd get the chainsaw out but for handful of cuts it's not worth gassing the chainsaw. I once used it to cut something about 8 inches across but only because I didn't have the chainsaw.

As far as the stumps go leave about 4 or 5 feet on top. Attach nylon strap to the top and other end to hitch on the truck. Give it some gas and let off the gas, let the weight of the truck do the work. Might take while but stuff that is 2 to 3 inches around can usually be yanked out of the ground with enough nudges.

I started using mine out of necessity, was the only tool I had.
Then adding a 12" pruning blade allowed for larger projects.
Definitely safer for minors than hatchets and axes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living