Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 09:38 PM

1,056 posts, read 725,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Hang on a minute, you mention wanting to restore the cane brake and reestablishing a pine grove, as well as wanting to get rid of some young hardwood.

First of all, figure out what you have. Then look where it's growing naturally.

Canebrakes like damp areas, along creeks, in floodplains, etc. Pines like drier soil which is ideally acid. Hardwoods go for more temperate areas - damper than pines, less so than canebrakes, with rich soil. You won't have much luck growing pines and canebrakes in each other's territory. Hardwoods are usually considered more valuable than are pines, and while pines and some hardwoods (oak, hickory) can share space, others are not so amenable.

A visit from your county extension officer might be helpful in figuring out what you have and how to make the best of it. In your place, I'd do that first, before trying to cut anything down.
I'm not intending to grow pines and canebrakes in each other's territory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 02:48 AM

7,257 posts, read 5,131,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
..., I don't want to release more CO2 by cutting a massive tree,...

You really should have been paying more attention in the 5th grade when they were teaching about The Carbon Cycle. You & Greta would be getting better sleep these days.

As to your problem-- maybe contact the local penitentiary. Maybe The Boss will send The Man With No
Eyes, Cool Hand, Dragline, Coco, Society et al, over to clear the land for you. They work cheap. Just don't let the rabbit get in them.

Old 01-12-2020, 10:13 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
THIS WILL OUT WORK 2 AXES.
I have done it.

https://www.toolboxsupply.com/produc...20group%20%231

I have an older one that needs a new handle and it is longer and bigger overall.
A swing ax is great to use for those who actually know how to use one (a high swing where one has enough clearance and the correct angle to slice the tree down in one swing). As the OP is young, inexperienced with using hand tools and doesn't mention the diameter of the trees (only the heights) this is a very dangerous tool use in the wrong hands. This ax is usually used for cutting line rather than cutting trees down flat to the ground. If the OP can't use a chainsaw then a bow saw is what should be used instead.

Old 01-12-2020, 04:45 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,238,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
A swing ax is great to use for those who actually know how to use one (a high swing where one has enough clearance and the correct angle to slice the tree down in one swing). As the OP is young, inexperienced with using hand tools and doesn't mention the diameter of the trees (only the heights) this is a very dangerous tool use in the wrong hands. This ax is usually used for cutting line rather than cutting trees down flat to the ground. If the OP can't use a chainsaw then a bow saw is what should be used instead.
Less dangerous than an ax. Used both and it is safer than an ax and faster than 2 guys. We tried it on a 40-acre field of hay I made a deal on. Great hay ground except for the brush grew up in it.4 guys and 3 with axes and all over 25 yrs old and great shape except me. An ax used improperly will chop right into your foot. You cannot do that with a chopper like this.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Less dangerous than an ax. Used both and it is safer than an ax and faster than 2 guys. We tried it on a 40-acre field of hay I made a deal on. Great hay ground except for the brush grew up in it.4 guys and 3 with axes and all over 25 yrs old and great shape except me. An ax used improperly will chop right into your foot. You cannot do that with a chopper like this
An ax is a sharpened wedge. This tool does not cut hay fields. Your link is a swing ax which when sharpened correctly it will cuts small trees in one swing. These are not used for hay fields. What is used for hay fields is a scythe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_QBtAKYpV4

Old 01-12-2020, 06:09 PM

Please reread. We did not harvest any hay. We were cutting the brush out of the hayfield. It had grown to about 3" thick on some of them.

We called it a Wopper Chopper. Whop or chop the head off anything.

Old 01-12-2020, 08:44 PM

3" thick? Your choice of ax is wrong for that use. A felling ax is what's used. The weight behind the blade allows for less hits and lesser work.

Source a video of someone using a swing/bush ax instead of a felling ax to take down trees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiB73Ewr76k

This is how it's done wrong as it's not around 45 degrees to do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pHhuatRlnA

Old 01-13-2020, 06:58 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
In a thickly grown up area an axe can be very dangerous unless you really know what you're doing (it can catch up on things on the back swing; restricted clearance can lead to poorly thought out swings, etc.) I'm going to stick with my recommendation of two or three different hand saws selected according to the diameter of the tree. It's a lot harder to injure yourself with a hand saw than an axe.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:54 AM

I 1st saw my Whopper Chopper along I-70 Hwy being used by the State Hwy Department. About 10 guys going at it.

Also, they are great for clearing all those vines and littler sprouts. No comparison of ax to Whopper Chopper went attacking a big Multi-Flora rose bush. WC wins hands down.

I noticed in the 1st video that the area around the ax chopping had all the foot tangling debris around removed.

Old 01-13-2020, 11:17 AM

I like this when you don't want to do it by hand. Get it down low and you flat cut them to the ground. No stob to stick up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arNHVXiOEgY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living