Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 06:30 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,257,513 times

Advertisements

It is always a wise thing to do when buying rural property like the OP has purchased to enquire about any persons currently authorized to be on the property. That can save the new owner considerable time and effort in preventing any unwelcome intruders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2020, 04:17 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Every state has their own rules on baiting wildlife. Georgia just changed their rules in 2018: https://georgiawildlife.com/georgia-...aiting-changes. But in this case calling the local Game Commission Officer probably would have been the best bet. There is a good chance that the warden would have come out and quickly tracked back the deer stand to the neighbor and fine him. In my State all corn and licks have to be removed 30 days prior to the hunting season or even other hunters on that land can be fined for hunting over a bait pile. So it is wise to check your laws.

That said; there is always some resentment from the old hunters that used to hunt a property for many years and now a 'city-slicker' buys the property and kicks them off. Of course they did not have the money to buy it and they just want to hunt for free on your land and that is not fair either. The property owners are the ones that have to pay the taxes and maintain liability insurance incase somebody gets hurt or injured.

Possibly, after finding out all the laws and knowing that the OP shares a property line with the neighbor that has the son trespassing or poaching; it might be best to talk to the neighbor before they take action. Getting a hefty fine and losing the right to hunt could leave neighbors with a chip on their shoulder. Maybe a discussion could head that off? Having good neighbors that watch a property that you will not always be on could be a big plus if this is handled correctly. But maybe not; some people are just loggerheads.

Old 02-05-2020, 03:31 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Attached Thumbnails
How to deal with trespasser/poacher?-full-86222-1431411-image.jpeg  

Old 02-25-2020, 06:12 PM

782 posts, read 1,356,600 times
Yesterday, I took the day off so drove out to meet a state forester (not the DNR warden) that gives free advice on land management to Georgia landowners. We spent about 3 hours as he gave advice on prescribed burns, timber thinning, and more.
While we were out walking the woods, I found a game camera well within my property. His comments were that I now had an extra game camera.
When I got home late in the evening, I pulled the SD card and viewed over recorded 100 videos and a few snapshots.
The first still-shot was a selfie of the neighbor's son apparently taken in his home. The same guy I came face to face with on my property the previous hunting season. It was at that time I told him about my ownership and clarified no trespassing.
The same fellow my other neighbor recently told me he had seen entering on my land when I was away.
Viewing the rest of the SD card reviewed some very impressive deer on his camera. I had no idea of the nice bucks that were coming on just at that one spot. All the recordings were from the same spot. One of the recordings showed me traveling through on the trail during this past season.

Old 02-25-2020, 06:29 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Well, that's cheeky of him.

Old 02-26-2020, 06:00 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Congrats on the new camera!

Old 02-27-2020, 08:32 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,212 times
And you haven't called the police yet because.......?????

Post your land properly, spend some money, buy more cameras. Set them up 10' off the ground facing down on a 45 angle. Set up some dummy cams low to the ground with the real one hidden above.
Once you have a few pics of this clown go straight to the police. Do not talk to neighbor. Go to police, and explain you do not want trespassers anymore. Show them the proof of neighbor, and they will go to his house and issue him a fine.
One of the unpleasantries of property ownership especially when you hunt it.

Old 02-27-2020, 04:45 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Yesterday, I took the day off so drove out to meet a state forester (not the DNR warden) that gives free advice on land management to Georgia landowners. We spent about 3 hours as he gave advice on prescribed burns, timber thinning, and more.
While we were out walking the woods, I found a game camera well within my property. His comments were that I now had an extra game camera.
When I got home late in the evening, I pulled the SD card and viewed over recorded 100 videos and a few snapshots.
The first still-shot was a selfie of the neighbor's son apparently taken in his home. The same guy I came face to face with on my property the previous hunting season. It was at that time I told him about my ownership and clarified no trespassing.
The same fellow my other neighbor recently told me he had seen entering on my land when I was away.
Viewing the rest of the SD card reviewed some very impressive deer on his camera. I had no idea of the nice bucks that were coming on just at that one spot. All the recordings were from the same spot. One of the recordings showed me traveling through on the trail during this past season.
Well looks like they’re going to keep doing what they want. At least now you have some footage.

Old 02-27-2020, 05:46 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,510 times
Love the glock poster. Lol.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:57 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Thanks for all the good advice
They can rip down the signs but they cannot when you paint posts or trees with the orange paint and it is universal in meaning. We finally had to do that because of trespassers and illegal hunting on our property
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living