Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 10:20 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
I just found out that the thieves were targeting mailboxes for tax info. We haven’t received several documents so first thing Monday I am making some phone calls. Damn criminals!
That's disturbing! Fortunately I only have one W-2 that I did not receive; but I call and check on Monday. I did receive a neighbor's W-2 this year which I promptly put in his mailbox and that was disturbing. I don't like our carriers making any mistakes at this time of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2020, 05:35 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
If you could set up a wildlife camera with a motion sensor, in a discreet manner, you might be able to get some photos of the culprit. Would be great to get some license plate photos.

Years ago, our mailbox was getting vandalized occasionally and, one Friday night, there were gun shots. I followed the vehicle from a distance and got the tag number. It was kids out shooting things up. Called the law and they got them that night. That quickly stopped the problem and it has never resurfaced.

Old 01-25-2020, 11:35 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,518,718 times
cameras

Old 01-25-2020, 11:38 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Since your box wasn't locked, they probably took the mail they wanted and left everything else. For security's sake, it might be best to get a P.O. Box in town (they're generally not expensive) and have your banking and financial letters sent there.

Old 01-25-2020, 12:45 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
Forgot to mention Nextdoor is also a good online neighborhood watch group. https://nextdoor.com/

Old 01-25-2020, 11:39 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,481,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Since your box wasn't locked, they probably took the mail they wanted and left everything else. For security's sake, it might be best to get a P.O. Box in town (they're generally not expensive) and have your banking and financial letters sent there.
Yeah, I was too complacent; they probably took some tax info. We are going to start a block watch plus probably get a more secure locking mailbox like neighbors. Darn lowlif3 thieves.

Old 01-26-2020, 01:36 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
If it’s any consolation, when I first moved to my new property, I went through 3-4 beautiful mailboxes over the span of a couple years. I’d pick up bottles almost daily that were thrown at the mailbox but missed and shattered glass all over the ground. Occasionally thrown bottles would directly hit my chinsy tin mail box and all but destroy it till I had to replace it, again and again. I was pissed to say the least. This culminated into one night a firecracker being placed inside my mailbox, completely exploding into unrecognizable shredded shrapnel. After that I went on a mission, even going as far as camping out by the mailbox (several thousand feet away and unseeable from my house) trying to catch the perps, but to no avail.

I’m proud to say that my new extra large mailbox, big enough to fit large packages in, hasn’t had a single bottle thrown at it on several years now. The bottle thrower/fire cracker planter must have gotten bored or moved on.

Since I usually get at least one piece of junk mail every day or two, when I don’t receive any sort of mail for more than a few days in a row, I can’t help but think I’m a victim of mail theft. I have had a couple of packages from amazon be “lost” as well.

So I consider mailboxes to be expendable and mail to be insecure in a mailbox along a road that you can’t see from your house. I’ve thought about buying a secure locking heavy duty mailbox, but that just makes it more of a target IMO and costs 4x as much as a regular mailbox.

Good luck to you, and **** the scum of the earth that mess with people’s mailbox.

Old 01-26-2020, 09:57 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
I have your typical small town nosy neighbors keeping an eye on EVERYTHING.
It's a blessing and a curse. Lol.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:00 AM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
If none of you can see each other's mailboxes then what is the point of a watch group ?

Set up a game cam where it can also grab the license plate of any vehicle caught tampering with your mailbox.

Old 01-26-2020, 11:37 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
If none of you can see each other's mailboxes then what is the point of a watch group ?

Set up a game cam where it can also grab the license plate of any vehicle caught tampering with your mailbox.
You would have to make sure that it is high enough that it cannot be removed. If it is spotted and they think they can damage it of remove it; they will!

Besides a camera; one could try buying some old Magicubes (https://www.amazon.com/GE-MAGICUBES/...93960431&psc=1). You can make them go off with a trip wire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHW6t4bC3ag. So for somebody grabbing mail at night it would scare them into thinking somebody just took their picture. It would not be successful during the day. But, as the sun set, if you hooked your trip wire on the mailbox (remembering to remove it before the mailman) then it might be effective or at least make these crooks think twice.

Last edited by fisheye; 01-26-2020 at 11:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living