Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 11:49 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,536,679 times

Advertisements

Get some other local contractor quotes. Location determines cost of construction.
For example, in Montana new construction of house with average finishes for prepped site with water & utilities already present starts at $200 sqft. That would be $264 sqft in Canadian dollars at present conversion rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 08:19 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,915,651 times
Maila, a very good realtor in Canada and now usa who is in CA often still tells me turnkey means move in ready with reputable builders in Canada as in USA. (Not that your builder abides by that, of course)

Old 02-17-2020, 08:29 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
We have a friend who migrated from NJ to Maine. She [Kathy] bought some bare land that was densely wooded. Kathy hired a family to cut the trees on her land, they milled them onsite and used that lumber to construct a 2-story cabin [1 bd, 1 bath]. It is beautiful. When they were done, 'turn-key' meant that it was ready for her to bring in furniture and her clothing. Everything else was done.

Buying the land, cutting the trees, milling them, and constructing her house came in under $150k.

Old 02-17-2020, 11:23 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Not understanding the OP.

You bought a house 15 years ago, and now realize it has mold and it is falling apart and unlivable.

You are looking to rebuild it? Build a new house?
What is the "turnkey" estimate for? Rebuilding the "cottage"?? Something else, somewhere else?

Old 02-17-2020, 03:43 PM

550 posts, read 498,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
You are getting raped.
No way it should cost that much unless there is some catastrophic oddball issue.
If the necessities are already in place, such as electric, water, septic, I don’t see why it would be so high. Not knowing the average cost to build in that area, because it can vary dramatically from place to place, it's hard to really even guesstimate, but I know anywhere in the US you can build a reasonable "real" house for 200k or under. Need more info. Is it a difficult location to get to? Sometimes that can add to the cost if it's a real pain in the ass to cart out debris and haul in supplies.

You should find the meaning of this phrase and stop using it in situations like this.

Seriously.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:25 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMChicago View Post
You should find the meaning of this phrase and stop using it in situations like this.

Seriously.

FWIW, I have been and the phrase doesn't bother me at all.

Old 02-17-2020, 09:23 PM

550 posts, read 498,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
FWIW, I have been and the phrase doesn't bother me at all.
You've been raped and don't have a problem with folks using that expression this way?

Just wow.

But you do you.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:26 AM

19,814 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Hope your contractor is just doing some grading around your already existing well. I have put $20k into more than one 'dry hole' . $7500 last week for (1) well pump (I have 8 homes on wells).
.I would be overjoyed with a '$2000 not-exceed" well system!

I have my own dozer, but it broke last week. That will be another $3000 repair.

Costs big bucks to play in the country.

Utility company wants $7k for what I could trench and run for $500. But they won't let me install any primary feed. My kids dug and installed 800ft of primary power when they were age 12.. but not allowed in this county.
The builder is confident because there are about eight other homes in the same "subdivision" (five one+ acre lots on each side of a lane that is less than 500' from the intersection of a main road and a main highway), and these homes all have their own well system (not shared) -- so we hope that we won't run into any problems.

(For anyone who's interested, the quote for the well system was about $11,000, which was based on the average depth of those other wells, so to clarify, the well system shouldn't cost more than about $13,000 total.)

Old 02-18-2020, 07:06 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,085,641 times
For rough estimates, figure $150-$200 per square foot. Move in ready.

You are starting at the wrong end of the project.

Assemble every article, picture, plan etc. which has features in it which you wish to have in your cottage.

Sit with your architect and put together a plan, or select an existing plan.

THEN, negotiate a contract to build the cottage which you want. NOT the one a builder wants to build for you.

P.S., if you have an existing house on the property, water, sewer, driveway etc. may already be in place and will not cost much to connect to your new house. $$$ savings.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:54 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMChicago View Post
You've been raped and don't have a problem with folks using that expression this way?

Just wow.

But you do you.

Yep. I decided when it happened that I was not going to let it, and him, define me for the rest of my life (not going to let him have power over me for one second longer) nor was I ever going to consider myself a "victim" or "survivor' or let anyone else consider me that, which would be giving him and it power. That particular usage of that particular term has been a part of the English language for as long as I've been around (and I'm older than dirt). Raping the land, for example. Yes, I marched (and got teargassed) in the 1960's, and, yes, I've been an activist, but for much more important things than language usage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living