Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 11:53 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,574,798 times

Advertisements

Northern Ontario (Canada). 15 years ago, before my kids were born, my husband and I had saved up some money over 2 years and bought a rural property for $120,000, 3.5 acres. Fully paid as we had money. We love the place and the town had 200 people at that time. This is purely a recreational property, not the main residence.

Over time, we started noticing health issues whenever we go there. Experts told us, its the mould. The property is quite old (70 years old) and it was falling apart. we went to the local hardware company who told us that a "Turn-key" house what we wanted to going to cost $150 K. The only extra cost they said would be the excavation cost. we thought...ok, thats not bad for a 1400 Sq ft home. we applied for 250K loan (against out primary residency as thats work close to 800 K and we only have 200K left to pay off).

anyway...this morning, we went in to the contractors and they gave us a shock that when they say "turn-key" it includes pretty much nothing other than the design specs. Not even the labor cost...when we do the math, the home would not cost us 450K.

I am not sure if I am more angry at myself for believing them when they said "turn-key" includes everything or at the contractors for deliberately misleading us....

It seems like we will need extra 200K MORE than what we budgeted for. I am soooo angry and sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 12:56 PM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
So how exactly is the existing home "falling apart"? Where and how bad is the mold? Perhaps concentrate on remediation of the mold and fixing your house rather than rebuilding.

Old 02-14-2020, 01:07 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,574,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
So how exactly is the existing home "falling apart"? Where and how bad is the mold? Perhaps concentrate on remediation of the mold and fixing your house rather than rebuilding.
The ceiling has already fell down in the dining room. The entire house walls are filled with mold. It is not livable anymore.

Old 02-14-2020, 02:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
I have built several cottages myself because contractors came back with ridiculous quotes. We had our homeschool kids design and build their own homes (cottages) while grades 9-10.

Find an alternative you can afford. (there are many) Canada has by far the most and best options in NA.

Start with a new contractor and 'package home' (i.e. COMPLETE).

I am quoting a cottage to add to property one today. It will be under $70 SF. (complete)

Old 02-14-2020, 02:23 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,240,677 times
What about a modular?

Old 02-14-2020, 05:02 PM

14,492 posts, read 12,128,212 times
That's just one builder.... keep checking out other options. There may be something you can do much closer to the budget.

Old 02-14-2020, 06:02 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,435,109 times
There is no such thing as a $450k 'cottage'.

Build something smaller and cheaper.The less drywall you have the less mold problems you will have in a property that is unoccupied and unheated a lot of the time.You could build a pretty nice log 'cottage' for a lot less than $450k with log or plank wood interior walls which would minimize mold issues in the future.

Last edited by imbobbbb; 02-14-2020 at 06:15 PM..

Old 02-15-2020, 12:27 AM

7,383 posts, read 12,675,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
Northern Ontario (Canada). 15 years ago, before my kids were born, my husband and I had saved up some money over 2 years and bought a rural property for $120,000, 3.5 acres. Fully paid as we had money. We love the place and the town had 200 people at that time. This is purely a recreational property, not the main residence.

Over time, we started noticing health issues whenever we go there. Experts told us, its the mould. The property is quite old (70 years old) and it was falling apart. we went to the local hardware company who told us that a "Turn-key" house what we wanted to going to cost $150 K. The only extra cost they said would be the excavation cost. we thought...ok, thats not bad for a 1400 Sq ft home. we applied for 250K loan (against out primary residency as thats work close to 800 K and we only have 200K left to pay off).

anyway...this morning, we went in to the contractors and they gave us a shock that when they say "turn-key" it includes pretty much nothing other than the design specs. Not even the labor cost...when we do the math, the home would not cost us 450K.

I am not sure if I am more angry at myself for believing them when they said "turn-key" includes everything or at the contractors for deliberately misleading us....

It seems like we will need extra 200K MORE than what we budgeted for. I am soooo angry and sad.
Maila, fire the contractors. They are scamming you. If you pick up one of the "Log and Timber Homes" magazines, or go online, you can find a package with a nice little cabin for about $50K (materials only), and then look for a local builder who can put it together. Or buy a modular, yes. There are some really nice log modulars available.

I feel for you--we bought our retirement/vacation property in North Idaho 12 years ago, and we have been building as we had money. Our place is almost done, and we love it. I know the emotional value of having such a place. Your property is still there, and now you need to "regroup" and think about alternative possibilities. Be angry for a few days, and then get back to your dream. Good luck!

PS You may want to look up the old Cary Grant movie "Mr. Blanding Builds His Dream House" online. It will give you a laugh, which is what you guys probably need!

Old 02-15-2020, 07:34 AM

19,810 posts, read 9,371,980 times
First, turnkey does mean "ready to move in with no repairs needed" according to everything I have ever read, including the following article:

https://www.realtor.com/advice/buy/w...turnkey-house/

QUOTE FROM ABOVE LINK, my italics: "Generally, turnkey should mean that everything in the house is new, rehabbed, or otherwise excellent condition with no visible signs of wear, Shwetz says. The reality, however, can extend to a house that is generally clean but needs substantial updating." [end quote]

Second, as far as building, our 1875 s.f. one-story, very simple design, custom home with two-car garage in the Midwest, which will (hopefully) be completed this summer, has a firm quote* from a reputable builder of just slightly less than $400k. (Open concept living/dining/kitchen, two bedrooms, 2.75 baths, a sunroom, and a laundry/utility room with the only upgrades being an open hearth wood burning fireplace, upgraded bath and kitchen fixtures, quartz countertops, and SmartSide siding instead of vinyl.) Of course, I have no idea what the going rate is in Canada!

*The only thing that might add to the cost is if WE add anything to the detailed specs (20 pages worth), which we won't, or if the excavation for the well costs more than estimated cost, but the builder assured us that it would not be more than $2.000 extra, at the most.

P.S. On Edit: However, the price does not include a patio or payed driveway, which we will add next year. (However, the price does include a 60' long gravel driveway.)

Last edited by katharsis; 02-15-2020 at 08:07 AM..

Old 02-15-2020, 12:16 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
Northern Ontario (Canada). 15 years ago, before my kids were born, my husband and I had saved up some money over 2 years and bought a rural property for $120,000, 3.5 acres.
$34,285 per acre, wow.

We paid $350/acre for our homestead.

Quote:
... we went to the local hardware company who told us that a "Turn-key" house what we wanted to going to cost $150 K.

...this morning, we went in to the contractors and they gave us a shock that when they say "turn-key" it includes pretty much nothing other than the design specs. Not even the labor cost...when we do the math, the home would not cost us 450K.

Ouch,

so sorry to hear this happened.

We are in a 2400 sq ft house, we have lived in it since 2007. Construction [including the off-grid solar power system] came in at just under $100k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living