Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2020, 12:34 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,907,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Per the Kaiser Health News chart, above, San Francisco, with a population of 864,263, and an aged (60+) population of 179,193, has only 532 Residents aged 60+ per each ICU bed.

Contrast that with a small town, San Juan, Utah, with a total population of only 15,193 which has 2,833 seniors (60+) per ICU bed, and there's only 1 ICU bed in the whole town.

Plus, we have a very pro-active Governor in California, and he's doing a great job trying to keep us all safe and healthy.
Sooo........how's San Fran doing now??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
But not if you get infected. That's the rub. You're safer unless you have medical need.
Sophistry. A couple cases in a very rural county is FAR superior to thousands of cases in a place such as........oh, let's say New Orleans........

Old 04-02-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gball721 View Post
Definitely. I heard a NYC emergency room doctor say "America is about to become Italy" e.g., rampant cases and suffering nationwide and I disagree because America is waaaaay more spread out, and rural parts of America just won't see as many cases as LA, or NYC, or Chicago-- not even when adjusting downward for relative per capita population. In my humble opinion and all that. Feel safe here in rural North Carolina.
Let's be honest. OVER HALF of the cases are in ONE metropolitan area.
And most of the other cases are in our largest cities (New Orleans, LA, Detroit, etc.).

Full stop.

Wow, so many city dwellers coming on here to say how there's no difference between urban and rural. I guess they are desperate and jealous.

Old 04-02-2020, 12:40 PM

[quote=Lekrii;57683071]Why do you think people in cities are freaking out?

I see people in rural areas stocking up on guns/ammo, and see people in cities working together to get through this. I feel much safer in a city right now that I would in a rural area.[/QUOTE]

How's that working out for ya now?

Old 04-02-2020, 02:20 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,085,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I'm old, but I don't consider my life completely full yet, and you don't get to decide that for me, so bugger off, kid.

As for feeling safer in a small town these days, sure, the fewer people I run into, the better.
Gotta spread it around...but, you tell him. Is it wrong of me to think he might deserve a little 'comeuppance' for that cavalier attitude?

I live in the same county as Submariner, about 40 miles southwest (less as the crow flies). He's good people despite what a certain 'world citizen' would like to have people think. I definitely feel much 'safer' here. We have had 16 confirmed cases in the county, 8 of whom have recovered.

I went out to the local (small) grocery store for a few things I wanted to get before the lockdown went into effect (I am otherwise well-stocked and can grow my own food, as well as having about 600+ lbs of honey available for barter and conversion to alcohol), despite the low number of cases, everyone was very polite and observant of 'social distancing'. Some were wearing gloves, a few had masks on. The risk here is relatively low, and it will hopefully stay that way due to people being so conscientious about it.

I have two hospitals about 20 miles to the east of me, and a third about 20 miles to the west. If necessary, I would probably opt for driving to the hospital, rather than waiting for an ambulance. I have oxygen tanks available, should that be needed.

I would much, much rather be here than in a major metro area. This thing spreads like wildfire in population-dense areas, how close the medical facilities are is irrelevant when they are overwhelmed and can provide you no help. I think it is much better not to need them, than to need them and not be able to use them because they are overloaded.

Anyone who does not take this thing seriously, and the measures designed to slow the spread, should read up on the 'Spanish Flu' epidemic of 1918. This has the potential to be as bad or worse, and it is not likely to be over anywhere near as quickly as some people want to think (or want *us* to think). The 1918 event occurred in waves, and it would not surprise me if this does too.

Last edited by Zymer; 04-02-2020 at 02:39 PM..

Old 04-04-2020, 08:42 AM

30,172 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Don't even really think about it, or in other words it hasn't impacted my life in any meaningful way.

If you're under the age of 60 and wash your freaking hands a few times a day, this will be a non-event here in the US.

What a difference a few weeks and a million or so infected people can make.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:56 AM

43,128 posts, read 18,290,317 times
My small rural town where I used to live (5K) has 3 cases and they are panicking because there is no local hospital to deal with this type of virus.

First case was brought back home by a college student who returned home. Then a 2nd case popped up and today a third case popped up.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:31 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,079,365 times
This question was examined this week in an article by Harvard University public health experts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ts-rural-areas

- U.S. rural populations are older, on average, than urban populations

- Rural areas suffer from a "mortality penalty" due to high unemployment, and chronic financial stress, compared with urban areas

- 1 in 4 rural hospitals are vulnerable to being shuttered. 150 have been closed over the past decade.

- Rural counties have a total of only 5,600 I.C.U. beds, as compared to 50,000 I.C.U. beds in urban counties.

- Centers for Medicare/Medicaid Services has recently expanded the authority for telemedicine, by authorizing payments for telemedical services (consultation between patients and doctors by Skype). However, many remote rural western ranching areas have no broadband access, and spotty telephone service.

Last edited by slowlane3; 04-07-2020 at 09:46 AM..

Old 04-07-2020, 10:01 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,675,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
This question was examined this week in an article by Harvard University public health experts....
Yet what region has the highest per-capita infection rate and highest COVID-19 mortality rate?

New York City and the adjacent counties.

Weird.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:26 AM

9,102 posts, read 6,324,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
This question was examined this week in an article by Harvard University public health experts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ts-rural-areas

- U.S. rural populations are older, on average, than urban populations

- Rural areas suffer from a "mortality penalty" due to high unemployment, and chronic financial stress, compared with urban areas

- 1 in 4 rural hospitals are vulnerable to being shuttered. 150 have been closed over the past decade.

- Rural counties have a total of only 5,600 I.C.U. beds, as compared to 50,000 I.C.U. beds in urban counties.

- Centers for Medicare/Medicaid Services has recently expanded the authority for telemedicine, by authorizing payments for telemedical services (consultation between patients and doctors by Skype). However, many remote rural western ranching areas have no broadband access, and spotty telephone service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Yet what region has the highest per-capita infection rate and highest COVID-19 mortality rate?

New York City and the adjacent counties.

Weird.
slowlane3 does focus on the older people and health compromised individuals. Right now there is really no place safe for those subsets of the population. For younger and healthy people rural areas are definitely safer due to inherently greater social distances and lack of international transportation facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living