Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 08:16 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,379,330 times

Advertisements

My rural county of 15,000 people has just one confirmed case, so far. Probably are more but there has not been much access to testing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 08:04 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,923,196 times
In my county, we've only had maybe 5 cases and one death. Life hasnt changed that much. We go to buy groceries like normal, hardware store is open, as is the nursery. People shake hands at church because there is almost no impact from this virus.

Biggest effect is limitations at church, cant eat a sit down meal at a restaurant, and the shoe and clothing stores are closed. Buts thats no biggie either because we can order from Amazon what we need. My wife's biggest gripe is that the local thrift store is closed, and she cant get a hair cut.

Old 04-24-2020, 11:42 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,881,216 times
Interesting question. I would think that it would be a lot safer, just because social distancing would likely not be a major change/impact to life. Although, I likely would still follow guidelines because the degrees of separation (anyone could have come in contact with someone- a relative that visited, a trip, someone at a store- who came into contact with someone, who came in contact with someone, etc.).

However, I think you would likely be much safer due to natural social distancing.

Old 04-25-2020, 03:23 AM

20,060 posts, read 20,872,330 times
We got invaded by the cidiots.
Sent the numbers soaring, which otherwise would have been single digits.
On top of that, they cleaned out, and continue to clean out our groceries and supplies.
They leave their garbage everywhere and hog up the beaches, parks, preserves, and roadways with their biking, jogging, etc...
It’s terrible. They just don't care. Very selfish and arrogant buttholes.

Old 04-25-2020, 09:00 AM

606 posts, read 419,977 times
I grew up in a mid sized military town, and left for nyc in 2016 and Seattle in 2019. The move was a good choice at the time because I couldn't find any job opportunities in my hometown and upward mobility was hard. I did my best but simply couldn't hack it. Now that I've got 2 years of experience in my field I am reconsidering on moving out of the city and into a smaller town because of the Draconian laws being imposed on Seattle. I really worry the economy is gonna take a severe cut pretty soon.

I like Seattle but I also like my freedom more

Old 04-25-2020, 09:12 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
We got invaded by the cidiots.
Sent the numbers soaring, which otherwise would have been single digits.
On top of that, they cleaned out, and continue to clean out our groceries and supplies.
They leave their garbage everywhere and hog up the beaches, parks, preserves, and roadways with their biking, jogging, etc...
It’s terrible. They just don't care. Very selfish and arrogant buttholes.
Our mountain ski towns got invaded by skidiots, one of whom flew from Italy right before flying to CO. He also brought along three friends, so each of those was a potential spreader. Idiot ski resorts he went to did NOT close down until much, much later.

Old 04-25-2020, 12:36 PM

2,149 posts, read 1,517,606 times
Here in whats known as the High Country of WNC we still have 2 counties with no CoVid19 cases and in other 5 counties combined only 19 cases. I am concerned once everything goes back open and unrestricted the folks with summer homes and tourists from States like Florida with mega cases will bring an unwanted guest. Florida has alot of cases and shown complete irresponsible attitude via allowing Spring break to go forward despite CoVid19 thus spreading it to many States. Until CoVid19 is totally done these mtn counties should restrict entry and deny it to people from places with high cases..harsh yes..BUT for common sense and the greater good people should understand. Public safety first they can spend time here in their fancey homes later...

Old 04-25-2020, 06:20 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I am so very glad to be in the small town I moved to 2 years ago. What a relief. So much less stress. I was able to get debt free from selling our previous home and our new home is in many ways even nicer, let alone a ton more efficient. Our utility bills are 1/3 of what they once were. We don't have to drive but less than a mile for groceries, a couple of restaurants, a doctor, hardware and more. So ideal. Our neighbors are unreal wonderful. Wish I'd done this years ago now. If I need major medical it's less than a half hour away. Lots of farming in our area with fresh veggies and fruits. Air quality to be jealous of, NO pollution. I'm not sure how much better it could possibly be. To boot you can hear nothing but the birds, cows off in a distance on occasion, ducks, geese and no screaming.....well you know. My kind of place.
I posted this in another thread but thought it would go good with dcisive's post. I live in a town of 10,000. This is a rural area with county population of around 37,000, with, other than a chicken processing plant, agriculture is a major industry. When everything got shut down, restaurants had to close the dining areas but still have take out and delivery. Locals have the area restaurants working their tails off. Just drove to Popeye's to get my supper and noticed around 4 restaurants with help wanted signs out front. The locally owned restaurants kept advertising to help them stay in business, and the people have responded big time. One of my favorite places to order from posted on their facebook page that they apologized for anyone who couldn't get a phone call through and put their personal cell phone number up that they could order on.
Even the chicken processing plant has donated several cases of chicken to area food pantries during all this.
Love small town living!

Old 04-27-2020, 10:46 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Our small city in GA has been largely unaffected, but we did have a 57 year old man die of Covid19. His wife had it too, but survived. They surmise that they contracted it at a concert, two weeks before, where there could have been people from Florida, Atlanta and SC.

As of last Friday, some businesses are allowed to open with restrictions including nail salons. While my toes could use a trip there, and I’m eager to support the small family business and to get out and about, the death of the 57 year old man (I’m 72) keeps me home bound for awhile longer.

Old 04-29-2020, 10:14 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
Oh yeah. My county is the size of Connecticut with only 225,000 people. We have been steady at 23 cases for a couple weeks now, 15 of those people have recovered, no deaths. County Health has tested over 1000 people in that time, without finding a single positive. Physical distancing? We've been doing that for a century or so. I still wear a mask when I go out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living