Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 09:33 AM

10,567 posts, read 7,772,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
In big cities like SF or LA people are freaking out......
People are freaking out everywhere, including in small towns.

I wear a mask when going into a store and attempt to physical distance in all situations, which isn't so difficult here. (Population 32,000) Walking the mostly abandoned streets I have not been wearing a mask. The majority of other pedestrians to be found are either homeless people or younger folks.

Friend of my wife's in NYC went out for a walk for the first time in several weeks yesterday and was surprised to see that at least half of New Yorkers were not wearing masks nor attempting to social distance. I can sort of understand where they're coming from, like "Fawk it, I've either been exposed or will be at some time so might as well get it over with".

Yeah, certainly safer in a small town during a pandemic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 07:48 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,385,024 times
Rural areas are going to be harder hit with a poorer and unhealthier population overall, less access to healthcare, and also a much larger percentage of people who think it's a hoax, that social avoidance, etc is not necessary and who will not wear masks. So, in a word, no.

Old 05-01-2020, 02:42 PM

10,567 posts, read 7,772,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Rural areas are going to be harder hit with a poorer and unhealthier population overall, less access to healthcare, and also a much larger percentage of people who think it's a hoax, that social avoidance, etc is not necessary and who will not wear masks. So, in a word, no.

Makes sense, but speculative at this time. Are you in a small town and feeling less safe than you would imagine being in a larger one?

Old 05-08-2020, 12:35 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
yeah Im sure.
Thats why Queens Co. NYC has 44,000 deaths and my county has 1 (doubtful if it was Covid, nothing in the local paper).

It seem pretty obvious now that density is a big factor in the number of covid cases in an area.

Old 05-08-2020, 01:18 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,971,833 times
The closest small town ( pop 300) is 15km from us. The closest city ( pop 88k) is 45km distant. There have been zero cases or suspected cases of the virus in either... so far.

Old 05-08-2020, 01:58 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,425,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

It seem pretty obvious now that density is a big factor in the number of covid cases in an area.

I'm all for rural, born and raised in Wyoming ~ I like my space. But I'm educated, married an educated woman who has a background in virology (the spread of viruses) ~ density is hit FIRST, and usually pretty hard. But rural is hit harder, often times completely overwhelming communities, just at a later date. It takes time for the virus to spread to those places, but it only takes 1 person bringing it in to give it to the whole town. Make is something sneaky like this coronavirus, that can infect and be asymptomatic for a week or two as it spreads, and it's easy to *think* all is well until you realize it isn't. That's the danger for rural, you have fewer places and more of the total population visits those fewer places (one gas station, one grocery store, one hardware store...) Much easier for it to spread to the entire population.

Just wait a few months. The urban areas will have their downturn, the news will start looking for other things to cover since the fear-mongering isn't selling anymore, and then the rural areas will start to have their time. That's not to say it can't happen sooner, just that most will be delayed and then strung out over several months/years.

In short, the ride ain't over. You might want to wait on passing judgement till the fat lady coughs.... If this follows normal course (looking at historical data), we will be at the end of it right about January 2023.

Old 05-08-2020, 04:27 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,676,571 times
Talking We have no crowded sidewalks where people can cough on you... heck we don't have any sidewalks, period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
But rural is hit harder, often times completely overwhelming communities, just at a later date. It takes time for the virus to spread to those places, but it only takes 1 person bringing it in to give it to the whole town. Make is something sneaky like this coronavirus, that can infect and be asymptomatic for a week or two as it spreads, and it's easy to *think* all is well until you realize it isn't. That's the danger for rural, you have fewer places and more of the total population visits those fewer places (one gas station, one grocery store, one hardware store...) Much easier for it to spread to the entire population.
That would make sense if the virus could live indefinitely on hard surfaces and just bide it's time waiting for a person to come along. But that does not seem to be true.

In a small town, unless I go to the annual town meeting or the county fair, I can maintain social distancing indefinitely.

No shared transportation like a city with public transit, no shared lobby and doorknobs like a city apartment building, and certainly no crowded sidewalks where people can cough on you... heck, no sidewalks, period.

Old 05-08-2020, 05:52 PM

37,471 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
You are making a lot of biased assumptions.

I live in a town of 235, I do not see how my neighbors are any less healthy than anywhere else I have lived. I am about 15 minutes from my doctors office and 25 minutes from a city with two hospitals.

Old 05-09-2020, 10:16 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,454,397 times
When he wrote " less access to healthcare " I think he means people who don't get regular medical care because... I feel all right, and it costs too much anyways. Them. The kind of people who don't understand science and don't think it can " happen to them ".

Old 05-09-2020, 10:20 AM

37,471 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
When he wrote " less access to healthcare " I think he means people who don't get regular medical care because... I feel all right, and it costs too much anyways. Them. The kind of people who don't understand science and don't think it can " happen to them ".
And seems to insist that rural people are more prone to this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living