Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 01:58 PM

788 posts, read 1,742,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Absolutely do have an example: the Navajo Nation.
In large part due to 2-3 generations of families living together in arguably substandard housing units. The wind river reservation in Wyoming has the most cases/deaths in the state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 03:23 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,379,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Not passing judgement and of course it will continue to spread. Still the denser the area, the closer contact people have the more it spreads.

You know it really dosent matter how many gas stations or grocery stores an area has. That number will be based on the population, so you will have as many in the walmart in a large city as you will in the walmart in a rural area. That is where the social distancing come in.

This has been around since what January/February and still densely populated areas, prisons, nursing homes are the hardest hit. Do you have an example of a rural area that has been overwhelmed with corona virus? Or is that projection.
Hall county,Nebraska. The employees at the meatpacking plants work and live on top of each other.

Old 05-17-2020, 04:42 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,675,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
Hall county,Nebraska. The employees at the meatpacking plants work and live on top of each other.
Notice the news media doesn't mention that -- they like to leave the impression that the problem is entirely due to working conditions inside the meatpacking plants, unrelated to out-of-plant conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired
According to the CDC’s latest report, the chief risks to meatpackers come from being in prolonged close proximity to other workers. A thousand people might work a single eight-hour shift, standing shoulder to shoulder as carcasses whiz by on hooks or conveyor belts. Often, workers get only a second or two to complete their task before the next hunk of meat arrives. The frenzied pace and grueling physical demands of breaking down so many dead animals can make people breathe hard and have difficulty keeping masks properly positioned on their faces. To allow for social distancing, the agency recommended that meat processors slow down production lines to require fewer workers, and that they stagger shifts to limit the number of employees in a facility at one time.
The only time living and commuting conditions get any coverage is when a Democrat brings it up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNN
And Gov. John Carney of Delaware, a Democrat, said a big issue contributing to outbreaks among Delaware poultry workers is commuting habits, with workers often traveling to work "four and five to a car" or "crowded on buses," something his state is taking steps to address.

Old 05-18-2020, 02:04 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Absolutely do have an example: the Navajo Nation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya700 View Post
In large part due to 2-3 generations of families living together in arguably substandard housing units. The wind river reservation in Wyoming has the most cases/deaths in the state
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
So a couple isolated cases of high density and unclean conditions.

So we got 2 out of 97% of us land area.
I'm scared now.

Old 05-18-2020, 03:29 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So a couple isolated cases of high density and unclean conditions.

So we got 2 out of 97% of us land area.
I'm scared now.
For a virus that 'threatens' 0.02% of us, that makes sense.

Old 05-18-2020, 04:43 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,418,277 times
I felt safer in my small, rural town long before coronavirus came along. We've had only 5 cases in the county I live in. About 10,000 in the entire county. Plus, I don't go out much anymore.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:38 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,921,465 times
We've had a few cases here, and even fewer in the area north. Plus add on the riots and strife, so happy we picked a small town, far from a large city.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:23 AM

8,050 posts, read 10,640,313 times
I think it's extremely naive to believe that just because we live in a small town we are somehow going to be insulated and safe from social unrest.

The longer lawlessness is allowed to go on, the farther out it will spread from the cities.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:11 AM

43 posts, read 22,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I think it's extremely naive to believe that just because we live in a small town we are somehow going to be insulated and safe from social unrest.

The longer lawlessness is allowed to go on, the farther out it will spread from the cities.
That may be true, however, I think it's safe to say that as the population decreases and spreads out, the probability of coming across someone that has personal protection increases (not to mention the quantity and size of that personal protection), since law enforcement may not be able to handle as much or get there in time.

This may make lawlessness a bit more challenging.

I am a law-abiding person - and there are roads, driveways, yards, and houses that I am quite insecure about entering unless I am personally invited and the host is present and I've called beforehand. Not necessarily all three, or that often, but there have been times. Especially in the hills or farmland where you can't see neighbors and 1-5 shots would easily be ignored.

Old 06-05-2020, 06:33 AM

43 posts, read 22,587 times
Correction - Instead of insecure, I meant cautious. I had a brain fart while typing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehick View Post
I am a law-abiding person - and there are roads, driveways, yards, and houses that I am quite *cautious* about entering unless I am personally invited and the host is present and I've called beforehand. Not necessarily all three, or that often, but there have been times. Especially in the hills or farmland where you can't see neighbors and 1-5 shots would easily be ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living