Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 12:40 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times

Advertisements

I think that if you are living in a small town, you are going to feel safer than in a big city.

But if you are living in a big city, you are going to feel safer than in a small town.

People feel the safest in the place they are the most familiar with.

The few who own a home in both have the opportunity to change their minds about where they want to live to ride out something like this virus.

But most folks don't have that option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 04:54 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,675,380 times
Post I've worked in Detroit, LA, Chicago, NYC, Boston. Now I avoid those like the plague

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I think that if you are living in a small town, you are going to feel safer than in a big city. But if you are living in a big city, you are going to feel safer than in a small town.

People feel the safest in the place they are the most familiar with.
I grew up in a very big city, and I used to feel safe there.

Got fed up long before COVID-19. Moved from a city where this past holiday weekend's homicides (total, and per-capita) were about the same as my new home state's annual numbers (again, both total and per-capita rate).

Old 07-17-2020, 11:29 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,644,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
In big cities like SF or LA people are freaking out......
I live in Phoenix but grew up in rural AZ. I also studied public health. The situation in rural AZ is that they generally have lower cases but have disproportionately less resources. State-of-the-art medical devices like ventillators are relatively rare in rural AZ. So, despite the lower number of cases compared to large metropolitan areas, even a moderate increase in cases could quickly overwhelm the rural healthcare infrastructure. So, the anxiety and heightened level of precautions are still there.

The lack of resources is one concern. The other is that there are now hotspots in rural areas that unexpectedly arose. Small communities in northeastern AZ and northwestern NM have been hit hard in reservation areas. Their small clinics are overwhelmed.

Other reservations have not had large cases like that but are extremely concerned about the risks. So, I haven't been able to go back to visit my family at all since the indigenous community closed itself off for the most part. The anxiety is high in rural AZ.

A local teacher's death from COVID-19 made national news. She was from a rural copper mining town about 40 miles north of Tucson in Hayden, AZ. RIP.

Old 07-17-2020, 11:42 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
In big cities like SF or LA people are freaking out......

Old 07-18-2020, 01:35 PM

20,051 posts, read 20,867,177 times
I just want to know how to get rid of these people.
They've got our lives turned upside down here.
It's really going from bad to worse.
How the hell do we chase these morons away?

Old 07-19-2020, 01:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
small towns feeling safer at a time like this?
not in this small town (today)
FROSTPROOF, Fla
https://news.yahoo.com/3-friends-fis...002601771.html

When I was ~ age 5, (in a town of 381) my babysitter left our house one evening and never got home. She got nabbed by a mass killer, when she and her boyfriend stopped to help the killer who's car was stuck in the mud. 10 deaths - 2 states

Old 07-19-2020, 02:28 AM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I just want to know how to get rid of these people.
They've got our lives turned upside down here.
It's really going from bad to worse.
How the hell do we chase these morons away?
cALL Your nearest terminator/exterminator.

Old 07-19-2020, 10:12 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
cALL Your nearest terminator/exterminator.

Chase them while coughing at them and extending hands filled with used wet wipes, saying, “Want some of my germs? We SHARE!”

Old 07-19-2020, 11:41 AM

20,051 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Chase them while coughing at them and extending hands filled with used wet wipes, saying, “Want some of my germs? We SHARE!”
Too bad that'll get you locked up for assault or terrorism or some crap.

We try to spook them about the sharks, ticks, snakes, coyotes, etc, doesn't seem to work.
I'm gonna hafta catch and release some bears and wolves and such. Then go around at night smearing peanut butter and honey all over the B & B's and summer homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living